The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson

19,95574079 (4.14)1 / 687
Member:leahsimone
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2010), Paperback, 656 pages
Collections:Your library, Own
Tags:fiction, mystery, Millennium Series, thriller, R-2012

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, Sheilah.Egan, izaac, heatherjc, bernsad, KelseyJCrews, Vasher

English (650)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (739)
Now this book is second in the millennium trilogy and very good book indeed . In this book our hacker finds herself in trouble following after her father Alexander Zalachenko who is a ex Russian informant under something like witness protection living in Sweden.The story line begins with Lisbeth living in luxury in some tourist spot unnoticed, obviously in a different id. She gets involved in a shooting of two journalists, couples, who were about to expose a women trading mafia with her finger prints all over the murder weapon.
The novel is fast paced and is quite thrilling and
personally one of my favorites.In the end of the book she finds her father, a ruthless Russian and one of her brother who is working for him. Story ends in such a place where you would surely want to read the next one . A nice fast paced perfect fiction. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
This book also starts out slow with Mikael Blomkvist considering publishing an expose on sex trafficking. We also follow Lisbeth Salander as she travels around the world, she came into money at the end of the last book.

Shortly before the article is ready to go to print, the two people responsible for bringing the story to Blomkvist and doing the research on it are murdered and Salander is implicated.

Blomkvist is convinced Salander is innocent and starts his own investigation, he also continues working on the expose, convinced that this is the reason for the murders.

Everything that happens is tied to Salander's past, which is revealed to us in cryptic flash backs by Salander and then in a narrative from an old friend. Blomkvist and Salander both track down the guilty party through different means.

What I like about this book is it continues Salander's story, what happens that is connected to the previous book stays true to what happened. The characters stay true to themselves which gives continuity to the writing. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Although The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo was riveting, I think I like this one even more. In particular, I have been so curious about the heroine's background that I was pleased to see that mystery slowly break open in this book. Suspenseful and exciting, with marvelous description that puts me right in the scenes. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
I know I'm probably the last on the band wagon, and I know that the author is dead, but how - HOW? - did these books become so popular? Simply because they were published posthumously? I skipped through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo fairly quickly, intrigued enough by the mystery to overlook the slightly clichéd characters, but the follow-up is just so horrendously macho that I'm glad I didn't pay for the honour. And why is Larsson so obsessed with sexual perversion?

Lisbeth Salander is a male fantasy and a weak character. Childhood trauma? Check. Unconventional looks? Nose rings, tattoos, body of a fourteen year old. Check. Superhuman intelligence? Check. Kicks ass? Check. Bisexual? Well, of course! All very Hollywood, all very PC, but lacking any originality. She would have been better explained as a cyborg, along the lines of Cameron in The Sarah Connor Chronicles - at least then all her hacking talent/super deductive reasoning/incredible strength and survival skills - not to mention lack of emotion - would have made more sense (and made for a cooler, more sympathetic character!) Otherwise, she's just an odd combination of victim and golden princess, for men to either abuse or protect. I liked her friend Miriam Wu better. Author-insert Mikael Blomkvist is not much better - like James Bond, he's some sort of charismatic stud who always gets the girl, from Lisbeth to his married editor (whose husband is very accommodating, because you know, it's Blomkvist!)

The plot did keep me reading, but the dark sexual undertones - once again - did make me wonder about the author's predilections. Tying everything to Lisbeth, though - even though she is the 'girl' of the title - was a mistake, I fear. She doesn't hold up well to so much focus. Everybody loves her, she can do anything she puts her mind to, hasn't she had such a hard life, isn't she incredible! No. I preferred her better when she was being mysterious in the first novel.

I can sort of see why the 'Girl' trilogy hit cult status a while back - especially for guys, who read for action and not characterisation - but I haven't been brainwashed at all, and won't be reading the last in the set, not even for free! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Jan 27, 2015 |
Excellent continuation of the trilogy. ( )
  sharoncville3579 | Jan 24, 2015 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,166,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible