The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson

22,09880759 (4.13)1 / 764
Member:leahsimone
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2010), Paperback, 656 pages
Collections:Your library, Own
Tags:fiction, mystery, Millennium Series, thriller, R-2012

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, HARROGATEBOOKSTATION, Rena37, jevins, arpballew, vknoll, shellcox

English (717)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (807)
Although I adore this book as much as the other two, this one is my least favourite because it frustrates me. There are so many characters I want to strangle because they're sexist. But it's okay, a lot of them get their comeuppance, and the ones that don't in this book do lose in the next one. Lisbeth is, as always, kickass and though you don't always condone her methods of revenge, you do end up rooting for her anyway. ( )
1 vote kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
This was so compelling that I'll be starting on the third and last volume before the day is out. Salandar is an excellent character. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
I liked this one better than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Looking forward to reading the 3rd. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
Playing with fire:

In this brief review I try not to get too involved in plot details and summary, leaving it up to the reader to find them out him/herself. Let's just say that the men who hate women also hate Salander and they really pay for their indiscretions in this book. There are still some loose ends but I'm hoping Larsson ties them up in the third book.

The second Larsson book is just as brilliant as the first one, even more so for several reasons. In the first book we met a quirky but bright girl named Salander. Then we meet a journalist bulldog named Blomkvist.

In the second book the author ties up loose ends from the first book, creates more loose ends which (hopefully) will be tied up in the third. In the middle we have some intense actions and interesting detective work.

Larsson really loves criticizing authority in this novel. The police detectives, themselves competent, have to deal with leaks and criminal mischief in their own ranks. The two who leak info to the press have their own grudges against Salander.

The build-up of suspense is quite slow: We learn of Salander's adventures in the Caribbean, her return to Sweden to look up some old friends, checks up on the rapist pig that is Bjurman, who himself is trying to hire a hit-man to rub out Salandar (thanks to a damning video explained in the first book) and suddenly finds herself an interested party in a triple murder!

Larsson's themes of corrupt journalism, lack of privacy of the individual citizen, the rampant disregard for patients from the psychiatric profession is real, is fascinating and is clearly taken from Larrson's own experiences.

The ending of the novel wraps some things up, but Blomkvist still needs to put up with some pretty blatant stupidity on the part of the police force (there's a sneak peek at the end of the book for "Kicked the Hornet's Nest.").

Salander is kicked, punched, shot at and left for dead and yet still manages to be a prime character in this exciting, at times plodding, yet fascinating thriller of a book.

A must-read!

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
Review: The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson.

This is the second book to the Millennium Trilogy and I was very impressed that it was as strong as book one. The book includes a few great topics: police corruption, the media, authority abuse, the sex trade, and murder. However, it was nothing that Lisbeth Salander or Mikael Blomkvist couldn’t handle. Salander is a great character and we learn more about her past in this book, some savory and some a little bitter. For a while I was wondering if these two characters were ever going to connect again but they finally set the pace and gave the reader a great thriller. The novel was well written, adventurous, suspenseful, some hot adrenalin flowing, and a brute of a man that puts using steroids to shame.

The story starts off with a bang, three horrifying murders and fingers are all pointing to Salander even though she kept herself traveling for a couple of years around the world on money she had stolen and has just returned home at the wrong time. It didn’t take her long to find out she was the suspect of all three murders when the news was plastered on every newspaper in town. For some time she stays in the background, by leasing her apartment out and finding a nook to lay her head somewhere close to the crimes so she could do her own investigating. She stays clearly away from the police and Blomkvist.

Everyone is looking for her but she wasn’t giving herself up to anyone. Salander is a very bright women compared to what society thought of her. She was right under their noses hacking into their computers to keep updated on what they were doing and the only one who surmised this was Mikael Blomkvist. The people who really knew Lisbeth were thinking she had finally had a breakdown. She was the type of person certain professionals, the police, her guardian (not by choice), her ex-boss at the Millennium Magazine, thought she was somehow connected to the murders because her finger prints were on the gun. However, Mikael Blomkvist leaned towards not guilty but even if she had committed the murders he was going to stand by her because she saved his life in the first book. Blomkvist was frustrated because she vanished from his life and he didn’t know what he did wrong.

The story moves on with everyone looking for Salander and Mikael felt he needed to get in tough with Lisbeth so he uses the computer to try and draw her out. There are so many disturbing events going on and graphic fighting and death scenes in this book that I just couldn’t put it down. Somehow the main subject was the sex trade industry they were supposed to be focused on but Lisbeth was everyone’s target and many wanted her dead….

I can’t wait to follow up with the last novel of the trilogy. This one kept me on the edge of my seat just as the first book did and now I have to know what happens next… ( )
  Juan-banjo | Nov 25, 2016 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible