The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played With Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson

24,29384082 (4.13)1 / 784
Member:mskrypuch
Title:The Girl Who Played With Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Viking Canada (2009), Hardcover, 572 pages

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (746)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (15)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (839)
After reading The [b:Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|2429135|The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)|Stieg Larsson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275608878s/2429135.jpg|1708725], I couldn't wait to pick this one up. I liked that it jumped right into the story, but I didn't like the disconnectedness of Lisbeth and Mikeal. I also thought the story was a bit weak and that the "bad guys" were so undeveloped. The last part of the book left me NOT wanting to read the third in the series. It's almost like the author just made up an ending that he hadn't been planning. However, I'll still give it three stars because I found parts of it quite intriguing and there were times I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas ni a los mensajes de Mikael, que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Lisbeth se cura las heridas de amor en soledad, aunque intente distraer el desencanto mediante el estudio de las matemáticas y con ciertos placeres en una playa del Caribe.

¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y el reconocimiento profesional por parte de los colegas. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante sobre el tráfico y la prostitución de mujeres procedentes del Este que le ha propuesto Dag Svensson, periodista de investigación, y su mujer, la criminóloga e investigadora de género Mia Bergman.

Las vidas de los dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, pero entretanto... una muchacha, atada a una cama, soporta un día tras otro las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable y, sin decir palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo. ( )
  Haijavivi | May 31, 2019 |
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and didn't really care for it. However, this was a complete surprise and I got hooked reading it. The story abounds with thrills, surprises, and action sequences. The dialogue rings sharp and the detail is appealing to the senses. It is an adventure paced with the tenacity of a great storyteller. Overall, it was well worth the read.

4 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 2, 2019 |
I finished 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' satisfied but without any real intention to read the other two books. I've gotten more into crime/thriller/mystery stories lately though and decided why-the-heck-not and picked this up at the library.

The central plot of 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' isn't as gripping as the disappearance of Harriet Vanger, but overall this felt like a better book. Lisbeth Salander was as much herself as ever, but, with a story that highlighted her background, much easier to get along with. I just had to accept her criminal aspects, and preternatural ability to infiltrate secure networks in a single bound.

It is a shame the series won't be finished off since what I really liked was how much thought was put into layering the characters and their relationships on top of each other and how their growth comes off as natural and happens at all. There are a couple cases of good-friend-of-mine-who-I've-never-mentioned-until-now, but for the most part Larsson creates the impression of a real network of people and lays groundwork for even more for future work.

I may not pick up the last book. Larsson makes for effortless page-turning, but the last book was intended as a middle-work and may not be as satisfying.

Millennium

Next: 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next'

Previous: 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
What the heck is that ending?! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,433,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible