The Girl Who Played with Fire [Millennium…

The Girl Who Played with Fire [Millennium #2] (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson

23,34182647 (4.13)1 / 776
Member:MSWallack
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire [Millennium #2]
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 630 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Millennium

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (735)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (14)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  All (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (826)
This was a boring, jumbled mess. It's a shame since I enjoyed the first in the series. I wasn't surprised by some of the revelations and was disappointed with the big reveal involving Zala. What I liked about the characters in the first book made me annoyed with them in this book. I had to skim the last chapter just so I could finish it, but I had stopped caring about what was going on. I don't plan on reading the third book. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
The Girl Who Played with Fire took me by surprise. Going into this book I thought the series was going to be like most mystery series where the main characters come together to solve a new mystery in each book with some minor personal drama. It started off that way I kept expecting it to go that way but it took a sharp turn and it's because of that is what made this book my favorite of the series. You get to know a little bit about Salader's background and come to understand her personality a bit. There are lots of characters again but easier to keep up with than it was in the first book. The characters still hold onto their personalities that made them so likable in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but they become deeper. The ending is crazy and makes you want to start the next book right away. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 28, 2018 |
Also pretty dark, perhaps even more so than the first one, but another gripping read, to be sure. ( )
  JBD1 | May 21, 2018 |
You should listen to this if:
~you enjoy a well read audiobook
~you enjoy a well-plotted mystery
~you enjoy books about people and feelings
~you enjoy page-turning action
~you enjoy suspense
~you enjoy detailed, believable characters
~you enjoy well-crafted prose

Hmm... I'm sure there are folks who wouldn't enjoy this book, or this series, but darned if I can think of who they'd be :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Starts off so slow I wondered if I could finish it. But it gets much better thank god. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,412,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible