The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

21,76380361 (4.13)1 / 742
Member:mobamoba
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 630 pages
Collections:Read
Tags:Mystery

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (713)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  English (1)  English (1)  English (803)
Review: The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson.

This is the second book to the Millennium Trilogy and I was very impressed that it was as strong as book one. The book includes a few great topics: police corruption, the media, authority abuse, the sex trade, and murder. However, it was nothing that Lisbeth Salander or Mikael Blomkvist couldn’t handle. Salander is a great character and we learn more about her past in this book, some savory and some a little bitter. For a while I was wondering if these two characters were ever going to connect again but they finally set the pace and gave the reader a great thriller. The novel was well written, adventurous, suspenseful, some hot adrenalin flowing, and a brute of a man that puts using steroids to shame.

The story starts off with a bang, three horrifying murders and fingers are all pointing to Salander even though she kept herself traveling for a couple of years around the world on money she had stolen and has just returned home at the wrong time. It didn’t take her long to find out she was the suspect of all three murders when the news was plastered on every newspaper in town. For some time she stays in the background, by leasing her apartment out and finding a nook to lay her head somewhere close to the crimes so she could do her own investigating. She stays clearly away from the police and Blomkvist.

Everyone is looking for her but she wasn’t giving herself up to anyone. Salander is a very bright women compared to what society thought of her. She was right under their noses hacking into their computers to keep updated on what they were doing and the only one who surmised this was Mikael Blomkvist. The people who really knew Lisbeth were thinking she had finally had a breakdown. She was the type of person certain professionals, the police, her guardian (not by choice), her ex-boss at the Millennium Magazine, thought she was somehow connected to the murders because her finger prints were on the gun. However, Mikael Blomkvist leaned towards not guilty but even if she had committed the murders he was going to stand by her because she saved his life in the first book. Blomkvist was frustrated because she vanished from his life and he didn’t know what he did wrong.

The story moves on with everyone looking for Salander and Mikael felt he needed to get in tough with Lisbeth so he uses the computer to try and draw her out. There are so many disturbing events going on and graphic fighting and death scenes in this book that I just couldn’t put it down. Somehow the main subject was the sex trade industry they were supposed to be focused on but Lisbeth was everyone’s target and many wanted her dead….

I can’t wait to follow up with the last novel of the trilogy. This one kept me on the edge of my seat just as the first book did and now I have to know what happens next… ( )
  Juan-banjo | Nov 25, 2016 |
I liked this one a great deal more than the first one. The ending was annoying though! ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
One of the best mystery novels that I have read.

This is a running series of novels and you really must start at the beginning or at least see the excellent movie(s) before starting the next book. As I read the book I could not believe this was translated from Swedish to English. I am not sure who the translator or if it was Stieg Larsson himself but whoever did it, they did a masterful job.

You must be a fan of detail. Larsson describes the scenes in incredible detail as well as mini biographies of basically each character. He also gets into the head of his characters... into their thoughts which is something I REALLY like. Finally as a mystery writer he drops clues with few red herrings so that the reader is also involved in solving the mystery.

I gave this book 5 stars and would give more if I could. ( )
  Lynxear | Nov 20, 2016 |
I skipped lots near the beginning, and found myself editing sentences (never a good sign), but I was well hooked about a 1/3 in, and I enjoyed the ride to the non-end, albeit with some eye rolling along the way. If Kindle had allowed me to download the 3rd book while in Mexico (it didn't for some odd reason), I'd have moved on to it quite happily. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
I think that I have an issue with books right now. I found this book to be incredibly filled with action and it truly had me confused from beginning to about 3/4 through the book and I wanted to jump in and did not want the book to end. It took me a few days to get to this point but once I did I thought that the author did a great job of clearing up my confusion and getting me to where I needed to be. Although it ended with a bang I think I am done.. I am not sure I will finish the series because it does not intrigue me the way that I need to be intrigued.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible