The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson

21,58080061 (4.13)1 / 725
Member:ashbrau
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Knopf (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 503 pages
Tags:violence, suspense, murder, female oppression, Sweden, bisexuality, Autism Spectrum

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (710)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (800)
I think that I have an issue with books right now. I found this book to be incredibly filled with action and it truly had me confused from beginning to about 3/4 through the book and I wanted to jump in and did not want the book to end. It took me a few days to get to this point but once I did I thought that the author did a great job of clearing up my confusion and getting me to where I needed to be. Although it ended with a bang I think I am done.. I am not sure I will finish the series because it does not intrigue me the way that I need to be intrigued.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Sigh. I did not like this book.

Against my better judgment, I enjoyed the first one. But I had a feeling it couldn't last. As I said before, Dragon Tattoo is majorly plot driven. The characters are caricatures - which I'm pretty sure is intentional, given the background of the books - but there was a decent story almost from the off. I zipped through it, and it didn't seem like a chore.

This was.

The pacing (oh god, not the pacing AGAIN) was way off. Nothing happens for about 200 pages except Lisbeth goes to Ikea (worst two pages of writing I have EVER seen) and gets a boob job (this makes no more sense in context). Lisbeth is damaged, Lisbeth is a bit mad, Lisbeth is possibly Asperger-y, Lisbeth is also a genius... I just don't care. I mean, I feel sorry for her, but I cannot empathise with her at all. She doesn't feel real, or even real in the context. Anyway. Once that's over, the real mystery of the book starts, but it's nowhere near as well realised as the mystery in the first book. It's sloppy and all over the place and in need of serious editing.

This book was just hard to get through. After the speed picked up, it was easier, but the first third was just painful. Even after that, the spark that attracted me to the first part was just not there. Disappointing, but there you go.

I'll probably read the third book at some point, but I know it's the longest and that's putting me off. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Last year I finally got around to taking up the first book in Stieg Larsson's massively bestselling trilogy, only to discover that what Larsson had written was not so much crime fiction or noir as exceptionally gritty superhero fiction. This second book in the Millennium trilogy only confirmed me in this opinion.

Sooner or later, superhero stories take us two places: into the hero or heroine's back story and origins, and into a bleak and challenging time in his or her (I shall just go ahead and use the one pronoun from here on out) life when she is misunderstood, suspected of being a bad guy, forced to clear her name. In this book, we experience both, right alongside our heroine, the tiny but stupendously badass Lisbeth Salander, and the people whose lives she has touched, for good or ill.

The Girl Who Played with Fire starts off at with an even slower burn than did The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, misdirecting our attention with an early red herring before launching us into the explosive murder mystery that also forces the authorities, the staff of the magazine that printed some but not all of the bombshell revelations made in the first book, and Salander's friend and former lover, Mikael Blomkvist to dig into Salander's past to help her survive her present, in which she is the prime suspect in a spectacular triple homicide and the whole country is hunting for her. In the process, Larsson expertly plays with the reader's expectations, of the genre, of the setting, and of Salander herself, so her guilt or innocence manages to stay something of a mystery for a good 80% of the book.

And yes, her backstory is completely over the top, as any good superhero's must be. And yes, she gets to be a scary badass again, making up in brains for what she lacks in brawn, even at one point taking down two big bad biker gang members with just a can of Mace and a Taser. But, as she demonstrates, you can get more with a kind word and a can of Mace and a Taser than you can with a kind word alone.

This one strained my credulity a bit more than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo did, but not enough to stop me from reading almost the whole thing in one day. Because the burn, while slow at first, gets hot and powerful soon enough.

I think my eyebrows got singed. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Not as good as the first one but still really good.
The focus of this book is definitely character development and that's okay, but there's no mind blowing plot twist in this one(and I really wanted one!) ...
Still Lisbeth Salander is one of the best characters I've ever read about and her psychological complexity is what makes this story amazing.
Stieg Larsson's writing style is super compelling and never seems to disappoint.
Read it, it's totally worth it. ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Millennium Series. I read the first one a while back when it first came out. I absolutely loved it, no idea why it has taken me so long to read the next one. Already have the third one ready to read.

The characters in this story are so good. I liked the amount of backstory, and was glad there wasn't too much, but just enough to help me remember the first story since I read it so long ago.

Would highly recommend this book! ( )
  MinDea | Jun 27, 2016 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,335,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible