The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Stieg Larsson

19,38772782 (4.14)1 / 675
Member:yvaine
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Books in Series
Tags:@read, 2012, crime, female protagonist, mystery, Sweden, fiction, Stieg Larsson: Millennium Trilogy

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (637)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (726)
Not quite as good as the first one, but very entertaining. Actually, maybe it was as good, just not quite as new & shiny. Better action, fantastically complex mystery but some irritations that pulled the rating down. I pretty much detest it when authors over describe things. Why tell me a laptop is a 17" Mac Powerbook every single time it gets mentioned? That gets old fast. On the plus side, it was great finding out Lisbeth's history. Now her odd reactions to authority & all make a LOT more sense.

We know what the character knows or will tell in almost all cases, but there was one early on where everything is known except he leaves us hanging at the end - a cheap shot that really interrupted the flow of the narrative & just left me ticked off. That happened a few more times, too.

It was quite interesting to read about some things like the size of apartments & cabins plus their fixtures. Even more interesting were some of the short jail terms people served for horrible crimes. Odd, but possibly true.

Again, the reader was excellent. I look forward to listening to the next. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
excellent read! even better than the first! can't wait to read the third! ( )
  SpiritedTruthSeeker | Aug 5, 2014 |
Even more slowly paced in spots than the first book, but in some ways I like this book even more than the first. The only thing more slow moving than the plots in these books is Lisbeth's developing humanity, but I love every glacially slow step of it. I'm cheering her on every step of the way, and hope to see her capable of truly connecting with the people who care about her. Since this idea was much larger in this book than the first, I was engrossed.

I wait for the third book with trepidation. Do I want someone else to write more of these books? I read somewhere that SL was planning several books, so I don't expect the third book to bring any conclusions. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
The second in the series about the fictional character Lisbeth Salendar. I had read the first, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and became entranced with the clever story, characters and setting of the novel. There is no drop-off here. The tale is told slowly, lovingly and dramatically with more intriguing characters and riveting, suspense filled moments. I want to go to Sweden after reading these two books and can't wait to start the third. ( )
  chip.wagar | Jul 17, 2014 |
Reading can be an addiction. ( )
  miezetatze | Jun 28, 2014 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible