The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Stieg Larsson

19,64773782 (4.14)1 / 683
Member:yvaine
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Books in Series
Tags:@read, 2012, crime, female protagonist, mystery, Sweden, fiction, Stieg Larsson: Millennium Trilogy

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (647)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (736)
I found this book on a dusty shelf at work and I decided to pick it up and give it a try after I watched the first movie. This book was intense, just as intense as the first one.

I love how the author has no boundaries and just goes for it all. The translation left a tiny bit to be desired in some of the prose department but all in all it was a thrilling read. This definitely isn't my genre but, I am glad I got out of my comfort zone and tried something new.

I think Lizbeth is a freaking bad ass. I mean, come on, she kicks ass, and I love how she just sees everything black and white, right or wrong, and there is no gray, nothing in between.

I will definitely read the last book. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Amazing gripping book. How did the author minutes to write this trilogy? The Stieg Larsson story is an incredible story. As I understand it he died about the time the books were published. ( )
  ague | Nov 6, 2014 |
Sigh. I did not like this book.

Against my better judgment, I enjoyed the first one. But I had a feeling it couldn't last. As I said before, Dragon Tattoo is majorly plot driven. The characters are caricatures - which I'm pretty sure is intentional, given the background of the books - but there was a decent story almost from the off. I zipped through it, and it didn't seem like a chore.

This was.

The pacing (oh god, not the pacing AGAIN) was way off. Nothing happens for about 200 pages except Lisbeth goes to Ikea (worst two pages of writing I have EVER seen) and gets a boob job (this makes no more sense in context). Lisbeth is damaged, Lisbeth is a bit mad, Lisbeth is possibly Asperger-y, Lisbeth is also a genius... I just don't care. I mean, I feel sorry for her, but I cannot empathise with her at all. She doesn't feel real, or even real in the context. Anyway. Once that's over, the real mystery of the book starts, but it's nowhere near as well realised as the mystery in the first book. It's sloppy and all over the place and in need of serious editing.

This book was just hard to get through. After the speed picked up, it was easier, but the first third was just painful. Even after that, the spark that attracted me to the first part was just not there. Disappointing, but there you go.

I'll probably read the third book at some point, but I know it's the longest and that's putting me off. ( )
1 vote humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Can't get enough of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist.
  KateRobinson | Oct 4, 2014 |
A decently long book at 503 pages, a lot of information is thrown to the reader. It begins with Lisbeth on her globe trotting vacation after she takes billions from Wennerstrom. This part was a bit long and involved for nothing really to come of it other than to show that she has a bit of feelings in that she made sure her sex toy survived the hurricane and at the same time reinforced how she feels about men who hate women...leading to the death of one. Once the story picks back up in Sweden the story moves along at a fast pace.

New characters are introduced, old characters are further developed, some characters are killed off, explanations for Lisbeth's past are provided and shed light on why she is the way she is and how she ended up the way she is.

The main difference in structure between this and Dragon Tattoo is that the latter had a finite conclusion to the story and all loose ends wrapped up besides of course the mystery that is Lisbeth Salander. However with Fire, it concludes with a brief paragraph or two of every character still around with interests in the story and then it just ends as if it were just a chapter ending and not a book ending. The final pages read like the ending of an episode of 24 where all the story lines are shown in separate panes and then one is zoomed in and we get those final seconds to close out the episode. It also reminds me of the two book series by Connie Willis Blackout/All Clear where literally one massive book was decided to be split into two and thus the first ends suddenly and the second picks up right where the first left off.

All in all i thought this was a better book than the first and I think i shall definitely read the third book sooner than the year and half i put between the first two. ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,003,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible