The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Stieg Larsson

22,23581156 (4.13)1 / 772
Member:yvaine
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Books in Series
Tags:@read, 2012, crime, female protagonist, mystery, Sweden, fiction, Stieg Larsson: Millennium Trilogy

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (720)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (810)
Edge of your seat thrill ride! ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
I've oddly mixed feelings about Book Two. On the plus side it doesn't suffer from the pacing problems of Dragon Tattoo, and the story did suck me onto the edge of my seat. But my feeling at the end was WTF just happened? This didn't have the emotional intimacy or credibility of the first book, and I wasn't happy with Lisbeth's transformation from fragile anorexic goth to lean, mean ass kicking machine. To be fair though most of the problems only manifest in the last phase of the novel, so a deduction of one star seems sufficient. ( )
  SFF1928-1973 | Jun 15, 2017 |
This was better than the first in the series, but the ending again was a bit of a farce. I was disappointed that the book ended the way it did - offering no further information. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
This book is significantly better than the first. Most of my complaints about the first do not apply as easily here. Like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, this book has Stieg Larsson's critique of Sweedish society, this book focusing on the sex traffic industry. Unlike his previous effort, it doesn't feel so preachy. There is no long monologue from any character about Sweedish journalists, misogyny, etc. Instead the story carries the action, which makes it far better than the first.

This book also does a good job of picking up the loose threads from the first volume and answering any nagging questions that book provoked regarding the characters and their history. The storyline is not as stilted and while some of the minor characters remain rather flat, the main characters are sketched interestingly and you care about what happens with them.

My point of contention with this book is the pacing in the first third of the book. Larsson spends so much time there catching you up on everyone's sex life that you wonder if this book is ever going to go anywhere. It of course does, but it makes you wonder if he lived, would this book have been properly edited? ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Although I adore this book as much as the other two, this one is my least favourite because it frustrates me. There are so many characters I want to strangle because they're sexist. But it's okay, a lot of them get their comeuppance, and the ones that don't in this book do lose in the next one. Lisbeth is, as always, kickass and though you don't always condone her methods of revenge, you do end up rooting for her anyway. ( )
1 vote kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible