The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator), Peter Mendelsund (Cover designer)

19,67674182 (4.14)1 / 684
Member:antqueen
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson (Author)
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator), Peter Mendelsund (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Vintage Books, 2010, c2006, translation c2009.
Collections:Your library, Physical books, Individual books
Tags:millennium trilogy, 02, fiction, mystery, thriller, europe, sweden, journalists, sex trade, translated, v.t, v.m, trade paperback, f:2000s, swedish author, borrowed, ~qc, acquired 2012, read 2013, 13 in 13

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (651)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (740)
As excellent as the first. The opening chapter left me a bit skeptical as to whether or not I can stomach descriptions of the sexual abuse of children, but I was surprised with how things went. It lacked the explicitness of the first, but was as visually detailed and the characters were incredible. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 11, 2014 |
Not quite as good as the first one but still very enjoyable. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Not quite as good as the first one but still very enjoyable. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
In the second installment we find Lisbeth and Mikael apart, but still very much connected by the case they’ve just solved. Another case quickly present itself to them, and they team up again.
  EmKel753 | Dec 2, 2014 |
The books were fairly intriguing, but by the end of this one, I was definitely forcing myself. One of my biggest issues with it is how much the main character got laid. For some reason it bugged me, felt more like a fantasy of the author. ( )
  Rob_Holm | Nov 28, 2014 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible