The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson (Author), Reg Keeland (Translator), Peter Mendelsund (Cover designer)

19,29672383 (4.14)1 / 672
Member:antqueen
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson (Author)
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator), Peter Mendelsund (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Vintage Books, 2010, c2006, translation c2009.
Collections:Your library, Physical books, Individual books
Tags:millennium trilogy, 02, fiction, mystery, thriller, europe, sweden, journalists, sex trade, translated, v.t, v.m, trade paperback, f:2000s, swedish author, borrowed, ~qc, acquired 2012, read 2013, 13 in 13

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

Recently added byKatrinaSullivan, mathsie, WilsonKoP, KRoan, private library, scodenton, pcollins95, NZHobbes, Padre6

English (634)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (723)
The second in the series about the fictional character Lisbeth Salendar. I had read the first, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and became entranced with the clever story, characters and setting of the novel. There is no drop-off here. The tale is told slowly, lovingly and dramatically with more intriguing characters and riveting, suspense filled moments. I want to go to Sweden after reading these two books and can't wait to start the third. ( )
  chip.wagar | Jul 17, 2014 |
Reading can be an addiction. ( )
  miezetatze | Jun 28, 2014 |
I found it dark...extremely so, yet fascinating. There is a world out there I have not a clue about! ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
Goodreads Synopsis: The girl with the dragon tattoo is back. Stieg Larsson's seething heroine, Lisbeth Salander, once again finds herself paired with journalist Mikael Blomkvist on the trail of a sinister criminal enterprise. Only this time, Lisbeth must return to the darkness of her own past (more specifically, an event coldly known as "All the Evil") if she is to stay one step ahead--and alive. The Girl Who Played with Fire is a break-out-in-a-cold-sweat thriller that crackles with stunning twists and dismisses any talk of a sophomore slump. Fans of Larsson's prior work will find even more to love here, and readers who do not find their hearts racing within the first five pages may want to confirm they still have a pulse. Expect healthy doses of murder, betrayal, and deceit, as well as enough espresso drinks to fuel downtown Seattle for months. --Dave Callanan

My Review: This book was a roller coaster, and not just while I was trying to read it. I lost this book too many times, and it was surprising. This is a big book, and the cover is so bright? How could I lose this? But I did, many times. Every time I'd start to get into it again I'd put it down somewhere and forget about it and then not be able to find it for three months. It was insane. Who does that! Aside from that, this book was amazing. Slow to start out, like the first one, but a lot was happening, and I was able to get into it faster because I already knew what the characters where like. Awesome. And smart. Especially Salander. She's a a ninja snake. I don't know how she does it, but I love it, and I really want to be as awesome as she is. I couldn't stop reading it once I picked it up for the last time. I was a little over half, and finished the rest of it in four or five hours. I could not stop! I love it when that happens. So that's always a good sign. The beginning I remember to be awesome, but I can't be positive, because I started it over a year ago. Isn't that crazy? It didn't seem that long ago that I picked it up. Anyways, that's all I have to say on that. Thanks!

(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | May 28, 2014 |
good ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible