The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson (Author), Reg Keeland (Translator), Peter Mendelsund (Cover designer)

22,38381156 (4.13)1 / 772
Member:antqueen
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson (Author)
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator), Peter Mendelsund (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Vintage Books, 2010, c2006, translation c2009.
Collections:Your library, Physical books, Individual books
Tags:millennium trilogy, 02, fiction, mystery, thriller, europe, sweden, journalists, sex trade, translated, v.t, v.m, trade paperback, f:2000s, swedish author, borrowed, unowned, ~qc, acquired 2012, read 2013, 13 in 13

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (721)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (811)
Swedish — so much corruption in gov't high places — conspiracies murders Lisbeth Salander, troubled beyond yrs. — journalist M. Blomkvist

Millennium publisher Mikael Blomkvist has made his reputation exposing corrupt establishment figures. So when a young journalist approaches him with an investigation into sex trafficking, Blomkvist cannot resist waging war on the powerful figures who control this lucrative industry.

Ex-security analyst Lisbeth Salander is wanted for murder. Her history of unpredictable and vengeful behavior makes her an official danger to society - but no-one can find her. The only way Salander can be reached is by computer. But she can break into almost any network she chooses...
  christinejoseph | Jul 5, 2017 |
Tense. Violent. Gripping. Great detective story, mercilessly increasing suspense throughout. Reading this book was a little like being slowly shut into an iron maiden (in a good way, if that were possible!), until the reader is left pierced, pinned, and in the dark. Both Larsson's extreme and normal characters, who are all brilliantly realised, tighten their grip on one steadily, until the reader is left unable to move or breathe, except for one hand or a couple of fingers that compulsively flip the next page. Those who have read the book will know exactly what I'm talking about ;)
As far as I know there are only the three Larsson books, so for those of you who are desperately searching for more of the same kind of drug, I offer:
[a:Val McDermid|5672|Val McDermid|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1241725522p2/5672.jpg]'s Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series. I suggest starting with the deservedly famous #2, [b:The Wire In The Blood|91480|The Wire In The Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)|Val McDermid|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311976651s/91480.jpg|1855646], then filling in with #1 [b:The Mermaids Singing|459386|The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1)|Val McDermid|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389270695s/459386.jpg|88269], and then the rest.
[a:Stuart MacBride|205589|Stuart MacBride|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1308586833p2/205589.jpg]'s [b:Cold Granite|1182531|Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)|Stuart MacBride|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308967905s/1182531.jpg|1802767] and the others.
See also [a:Ian Rankin|33031|Ian Rankin|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1270338491p2/33031.jpg]'s Rebus novels.
Enjoy!

Note, after glancing through some other reviews: Some might see the intial build up as slow; it is absolutely worth the wait. It did not bother me. Some feel the book is loosely edited or bloated; I might agree, but I'm not sure. Larsson's brilliance comes from somewhere, and his style might be an essential component.

DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
Edge of your seat thrill ride! ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
I've oddly mixed feelings about Book Two. On the plus side it doesn't suffer from the pacing problems of Dragon Tattoo, and the story did suck me onto the edge of my seat. But my feeling at the end was WTF just happened? This didn't have the emotional intimacy or credibility of the first book, and I wasn't happy with Lisbeth's transformation from fragile anorexic goth to lean, mean ass kicking machine. To be fair though most of the problems only manifest in the last phase of the novel, so a deduction of one star seems sufficient. ( )
  SFF1928-1973 | Jun 15, 2017 |
This was better than the first in the series, but the ending again was a bit of a farce. I was disappointed that the book ended the way it did - offering no further information. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,223,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible