The girl who played with fire by Stieg…

The girl who played with fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland

20,22374977 (4.14)1 / 695
Member:SandBook
Title:The girl who played with fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland
Info:New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2009.
Rating:*****

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (Author) (2006)

English (659)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (748)
Mal acabei com os Homens que odeiam as Mulheres comecei a devorar o mundo fascinante e solitário de Lisbeth Salander e o carácter imparável de Super Blomkvist, neste fantástico 2º volume, que tem cenas verdadeiramente brutais e vai evoluindo num nível de conspiração brutal. Será que este romance é apenas um romance ou pode ter uma ponta de verdade impossível de provar ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
I'm hooked. Can't wait to read the next, "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest." ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
4.25 stars

Journalist Mikael Blomkvist hasn't seen Lisbeth Salander for a couple of years. His magazine, Millennium, is planning to run an issue and publish a book about sex trafficking, but shortly beforehand, the journalist who is writing the book and his wife, who is doing a thesis on the same topic, are murdered. Police think Lisbeth is involved, but Mikael is convinced she would never do such a thing.

Like the first book, this took quite a while to get going (longer than the first book, I thought). It really picked up (after the first bit of background information, which really is needed) about a third of the way in. But once it picked up, I really liked it. And it picked up even more at the very end. One thing I did have some trouble with was keeping all the people straight – probably a combination of so many characters, plus the Swedish names (and they are almost all referred to by their last names). Overall, though, I really liked it, just not quite as much as the first book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 16, 2015 |
After reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, it unfortunately took me a little while to get back to the series. In this second book in the series Lisbeth finds herself implicated in the murder of three people, one of whom is her “guardian”, who she had every reason to murder … but didn’t. The reader is once again drawn into Lisbeth’s unusual life and a very compelling cat and mouse game.

Larsson’s characters are some of the most intriguing characters I have read in quite some time. Where the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo focused on Michael and his publishing history, this book is all about Lisbeth. We learn more about her personal history, her past and her family. It is a shame that Mr. Larsson died at the completion of these three books as I feel there is definitely another story to tell involving Lisbeth’s sister.

On a more personal note … I do enjoy a good action book and therefore have read many a “fight scene”. This book contains one of the best-written fight scenes I have read, and interestingly enough involving somewhat minor characters. Interesting!
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
If you liked the first one, then you'll like the second book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy about Lisbeth Salander.

And first, my favorite similie: "Salander felt like a bag of bananas that had been left too long in the sun." That made me laugh when I first read it.

In terms of characters, we are given some additional cast members to take into consideration, as well as some familiar faces who reveal more about themselves. If you didn't know already, a main thematic element to this trilogy is a critique on how society treats women. Perhaps some of the attitudes and actions taken by certain characters might be a little exaggerated, but I wouldn't be surprised if I met someone who is as much of a chauvinistic creep as some of the people here. Many of the male characters come off as either sadistic perverts who breed off of torturing women, or as reluctant do-gooders when faced with a choice. Obviously, our male hero arrives just in the nick of time to save a zombiefied Salander from imminent death.

The female characters, on the other hand, are all people who have been oppressed by society, whether is be on the basis of their gender, sexual identity, position, or professionalism. They're there to show the reader that no matter how we as a society may grow, there is always some form of discrimination lurking just around the corner. As Salander progresses through the story, she gives us her thoughts on the situation at hand: "Nobody was innocent. There were only varying degrees of responsibility." That line pretty much sums up the mess of problems that seems to be plaguing our characters, not to mention our own selves.

If the characterization weren't enough, Larsson pulls a double whammy on us and pretty much just throws this theme of violence to women out there at us. The sequence of events starts when two people are murdered just before they are about to publish their tell-all revelation on sex trafficking and just how much those in power in society are a part of it. Maybe it's living in the 21st century that has made society more lax in terms of social justice. The fight for women's suffrage was so last century. Correct? Technically, it was only 91 years ago in America (as of this writing). So does that mean that all is well in the world?

Larsson really wants to emphasize the ongoing discrimination and violence that still occurs in our society today. Not just to women, but to people of all minority groups. Some of us might thing that in this technologically advanced society, we are all equal. But not necessarily so: "They were twins, born within twenty minutes of each other. Lisbeth was first. Camilla was beautiful." From her own perspective, Salander is just a number while her twin sister, the same in every regard (figuratively speaking), was identified as 'beautiful.' When we're not treated equally, we may begin to believe that we're not equal.

Thoughts?

Moving on to a more technical standpoint of the story, I would like to mention Larsson's introduction to this part of the story. The first part basically depicts Lisbeth as a heroic figure, someon who saves a life, who is still capable of killing another in the process. Cut to the second part, and we are given a scenario where she murdered three people in cold blood. The stark contrast between both parts seems to be meant to make the reader question their own assumptions about Lisbeth, and thus about what we know about those close to us versus what others may say about them. For most of the book, we are presented with two possibilities: either she killed them, or she didn't. It is up to us to decide which side we are on. Furthermore, Bloomkvist mentions this a number of times, asking other characters to pick a side on what they think about Salander. This choice is also given to us.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. Luckily with my Kindle, I can jump right into the next book without fear of wasting time. Mwahahaha. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Der zweite Band ist noch einen Tick besser. Nicht mal der eifrigste Fehlersucher findet hier etwas Störendes. Stieg Larsson ist der bedeutendste Krimiautor unserer Zeit.
added by rat_in_a_cage | editKristianstadsbladet

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,491,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible