The Girl Who Played with Fire: Book 2 of the…

The Girl Who Played with Fire: Book 2 of the Millennium Trilogy (Vintage… (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Stieg Larsson

23,61982984 (4.13)1 / 776
Member:tearsofasiren
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire: Book 2 of the Millennium Trilogy (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (737)  Dutch (21)  Spanish (14)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (829)
Not as good as the first one. I didn't mind that the plot doesn't really begin for 150 pages, since the pages move pretty quickly. The problems:

1. There's really no big mystery to be solved, since the author simply withholds information from the reader. The plot hinges on the identity of a mysterious figure named Zala. Salander and other people know who he is--so all that has to be worked out are the connections of who-knows-him-when. The book becomes an exercise in our catching up to what they know. This is not like other mysteries, where the reader is presented what the detectives know and thinks alongside of them. And maybe the mystery in Dragon Tattoo was like that, too, but I remember the solution being more satisfying. In that book, the solution is elegant and hinges on something the reader doesn't imagine. Here, the solution hinges on things that happened thirty years ago ("All the Evil"), like a folder dangled just out of the reader's grasp.

2. There are a lot of names thrown around--of people and places. A lot. We get passages like this:

Jurgensonn knew that the connection between Stalstrode and Bjork had to be there--there had to be a way for Blovnisky to reach Leppenstrode by Tuesday. And if Upsalla and Nevesterdomm couldn't make it, then Jungensoon and Sonarelstrom would have the upper hand. He decided to hack into Hoffenshammel's laptop and look for the file named [Yagermondormn].

I'm exaggerating to amuse, but this necessitates a lot of flipping back to look for past conversations. It also creates a lot of question marks over the reader's head. Small example: when Salander has to track the white Volvo, how does she know the name of the rental place?

3. This is one of those mysteries that moves along well enough with episodic action and dialogue--but then ends with thirty pages of paragraphs and speeches. And we get the classic example of bad-guys-catch-hero-but-decide-to-wait-and-stall-before-just-pulling-the-trigger, as is so well-parodied in the first Austin Powers movie when Dr. Evil won't simply kill Austin, but insists on placing him in the trap with the angry sea bass.

And as for the book's containing an Important Social Message--good grief. Imagine getting your social mores and opinions from mystery novels. I'll read the third one someday, but not any time soon. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
The dark overlords of the public library wanted this back with me still having 200 pages left to read. (Couldn't renew because some jerk had it on hold.) So this jerk has it on hold again. I like the first book better, though I am enjoying this one.
Still like the first book better. The endings always manage to take me a little by surprise, less with this one than the first though. I am definitely looking forward to The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm hoping that Mikael & Lisbeth hook up again. Of course, any woman-haters that Lisbeth kicks in the heinie are a bonus. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
The Girl Who Played with Fire took me by surprise. Going into this book I thought the series was going to be like most mystery series where the main characters come together to solve a new mystery in each book with some minor personal drama. It started off that way I kept expecting it to go that way but it took a sharp turn and it's because of that is what made this book my favorite of the series. You get to know a little bit about Salader's background and come to understand her personality a bit. There are lots of characters again but easier to keep up with than it was in the first book. The characters still hold onto their personalities that made them so likable in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but they become deeper. The ending is crazy and makes you want to start the next book right away. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
This was a boring, jumbled mess. It's a shame since I enjoyed the first in the series. I wasn't surprised by some of the revelations and was disappointed with the big reveal involving Zala. What I liked about the characters in the first book made me annoyed with them in this book. I had to skim the last chapter just so I could finish it, but I had stopped caring about what was going on. I don't plan on reading the third book. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Also pretty dark, perhaps even more so than the first one, but another gripping read, to be sure. ( )
  JBD1 | May 21, 2018 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible