The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

20,00974179 (4.14)1 / 690
Member:MyUtopia
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 512 pages
Tags:Fiction, read in 2010

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

English (652)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (741)
I had to stop reading this. I would recommend you don't even start the series.
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Millennium trilogy and I have to say it is better than the first. At least I enjoyed it more than the first one.

This story is primarily about Lisbeth and her past. We learn why she distrusts so many people especially those in authority.

While trying to find out some information on a shadowy character known as Zola, she accidentally sets in motion a chain of events that cause her to be the central suspect in a multiple homicide. There is a nation wide 'man' hunt on for her. Lucky for her she has taken several precautions to protect herself from being found. As the days drag by, the police find nothing, but they do find many more questions as they talk to the people who know Lisbeth. The picture they paint is not anything like the picture painted by the official court and mental evaluation documents. Something funny is going on.

Bloomquist, gets roped in because to of the victims are recent friends of his and when he finds out who the police think is the primary suspect, decides to take the matter into his own hands. ( )
  readafew | Apr 26, 2015 |
I think I enjoyed this book better than the first. It started out slow at first but really picked up the pace. Then I didn't want to put it down. At the risk of getting similarly sucked in to the third book, I going to take a short break on my fiction reading list so I can catch up on my podcasts. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Now this book is second in the millennium trilogy and very good book indeed . In this book our hacker finds herself in trouble following after her father Alexander Zalachenko who is a ex Russian informant under something like witness protection living in Sweden.The story line begins with Lisbeth living in luxury in some tourist spot unnoticed, obviously in a different id. She gets involved in a shooting of two journalists, couples, who were about to expose a women trading mafia with her finger prints all over the murder weapon.
The novel is fast paced and is quite thrilling and
personally one of my favorites.In the end of the book she finds her father, a ruthless Russian and one of her brother who is working for him. Story ends in such a place where you would surely want to read the next one . A nice fast paced perfect fiction. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
This book also starts out slow with Mikael Blomkvist considering publishing an expose on sex trafficking. We also follow Lisbeth Salander as she travels around the world, she came into money at the end of the last book.

Shortly before the article is ready to go to print, the two people responsible for bringing the story to Blomkvist and doing the research on it are murdered and Salander is implicated.

Blomkvist is convinced Salander is innocent and starts his own investigation, he also continues working on the expose, convinced that this is the reason for the murders.

Everything that happens is tied to Salander's past, which is revealed to us in cryptic flash backs by Salander and then in a narrative from an old friend. Blomkvist and Salander both track down the guilty party through different means.

What I like about this book is it continues Salander's story, what happens that is connected to the previous book stays true to what happened. The characters stay true to themselves which gives continuity to the writing. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,865,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible