The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

18,907None87 (4.14)1 / 662
Member:MyUtopia
Title:The Girl Who Played with Fire
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 512 pages
Tags:Fiction, read in 2010

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, tmshow, warangel820, Arya83, wds4, smitha_1988, douglasvilela, col2910, bagri2
2009 (86) 2010 (179) 2011 (73) audiobook (74) crime (644) crime fiction (260) detective (108) ebook (115) fiction (1,492) journalism (152) Kindle (153) Lisbeth Salander (133) Mikael Blomkvist (67) Millennium (109) Millennium Trilogy (161) murder (192) mystery (1,096) novel (171) read (209) read in 2009 (68) read in 2010 (116) series (148) Stieg Larsson (73) Stockholm (94) suspense (211) Sweden (890) swedish (187) Swedish literature (86) thriller (800) to-read (113)

English (628)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (8)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (4)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (715)
A sequel that is just as good as the first in the trilogy and does its job at opening up the story to maintain interest and sets up the final book in the trilogy. The heroine remains to be kick ass and keeps you rooting for her in her personality and actions. At no place does she stray from when we loved about her in the first book. Well done. ( )
  cfranson | Apr 7, 2014 |
Hooked. Totally, completely, utterly hooked! ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
When I finished [b:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|2429135|The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)|Stieg Larsson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1293975922s/2429135.jpg|1708725], I thought to myself, "Man, there really is something to this Stieg Larsson hype". I absolutely loved it. However, when it ended, I thought, "Is there really a need for a 2nd and 3rd book?" Granted, I loved all of the characters but it seemed like everything was tied up pretty nicely. This was probably the reason I waited several months before picking up the sequel, [b:The Girl Who Played with Fire|5060378|The Girl Who Played with Fire|Stieg Larsson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1293976153s/5060378.jpg|6976108]. I could not have been more wrong.

Pardon my french, but I fucking LOVE Lisbeth Salander. When I put down the first book, I had a great appreciation for the character but after finishing the 2nd installment - I think I fell in love with her. It could create some problems seeing as I'm married and my wife may be a tad bit upset by this revelation but she's a fictional character (Salander, not my wife), so I'm sure it's all good. Also, I don't think I'd really have a chance with her anyway. She's just a little out of my league.

The book moves a tad slower than I would have liked but it was more or less along the same lines as the first one - so it's hard to call out Larsson on that. However, when he's writing the action scenes, he seems to do so with a sense of urgency that comes across as very exciting. I was sucked in deep when Salander was caught up in more than a few confrontations. While she's missing from a good portion of the novel, Larsson does not leave you waiting impatiently for her return. Probably due to how strong the supporting cast is and the few subplots that he's woven throughout.

Also, it's worth noting that he really dug deep and unearthed his violent side as the final few chapters have some of the most brutal scenes he's yet to write. I really don't want to give a lot away in regards to specifics but there's a few weapons that do some pretty gruesome damage.

I'm really looking forward to the next entry, which I have bumped up my "to-read" list. This one ends with you wanting more and some questions are left unanswered. It's such a shame that Larsson passed away, Salander is such an iconic character. I can probably guess that she'll be farmed out to other writers in an effort to keep the series going - the potential to make more money is a hard thing to deny. Let's hope that the quality does not suffer because I'd be willing to keep reading. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
While I really enjoyed the first installment of this trilogy by Stieg Larsson, I was somewhat disappointed by "The Girl Who Played with Fire." It just wasn't as gripping or interesting as the first book.

This book focuses on Lisbeth Salander, framing a mystery around everything that makes her tick. Unfortunately, it took forever for the book to get going... (so many lists in the beginning.... Here is what Lisbeth bought at the grocery store, here is what she bought at IKEA... ugh!) Once the story started picking up steam the book got more interesting, but the major reveal was pretty obvious so it didn't take me half as long to put the puzzle pieces together as it did for all the characters.

I will probably read the third book in the series just because it's the last one... I'm not super excited about it. ( )
1 vote amerynth | Mar 31, 2014 |
Loved it! Couldn't put it down. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander, the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before. Lisbeth Salander is a wanted woman. Her history of unpredictable and vengeful behaviour makes her an official danger to society; but no-one can find her anywhere. Meanwhile, Mikael will not believe what he hears on the news. Knowing Salander to be fierce when fearful, he is desperate to get to her before she is cornered and alone. He vows to clear the girl's name and find the true killer.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible