The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are…

The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are Smarter Than the Few and How… (2004)

by James Surowiecki

Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations by Clay Shirky (rakerman)
    rakerman: Shirky covers a lot of the "nonintuitive properties of internet-enabled crowds" ground that is explored in depth in Wisdom of Crowds
    Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex by Jeffrey Kluger (Othemts)

English (57)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (61)
short ramblings ( )
  Brumby18 | Aug 25, 2016 |
Surowieki writes the Financial Page for the New Yorker, and he's in top form in this book. What I learned in a nutshell: crowds themselves are very stupid (mob mentality); however, the aggregate of individual instinct and wisdom is almost infallible. Great stuff! ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Never have I enjoyed a book so much that I completely disagreed with. There is much I learned here about processes and fundamental workings of everyday behavioral phenomena, but his thesis doesn't hold water. I can show you oodles of examples where the crowd is downright foolish, from voting the wrong people into office, to polls revealing mind-blowing weird public opinion, to my very own board meetings where we all seem to have lost our minds. The author cherry picks examples that suit his idea while ignoring very obvious antithetical ideas, and he seems smart enough even to perhaps have penned a Devil's Advocate book called "The Stupidity of Crowds."
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I don't really have a lot to say about this book. I agree with the basic argument that groups can be smarter than individuals at certain tasks, but I wanted more substantive support. The anecdotes and illustrations used to back up the author's claims simply don't add up to a very strong argument. They're too circumstantial.

However, I was entertained and I think I probably learned something about how to set up a group to make better decisions. ( )
1 vote wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
A very interesting book. If you like informative nonfiction written in a popular, easy-to-understand format, then you'll love this. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
In ''The Wisdom of Crowds,'' James Surowiecki, who writes a column called The Financial Page for The New Yorker, challenges that received wisdom. He marshals evidence from the social sciences indicating that people in large groups are, in effect, better informed and more rational than any single member might be. The author has a knack for translating the most algebraic of research papers into bright expository prose -- though the swarm of anecdotes at times makes it difficult to follow the progress of his argument.
added by mikeg2 | editNew York Times, Scott McLemee (May 22, 2004)

New Yorker business columnist Surowiecki enlivens his argument with dozens of illuminating anecdotes and case studies from business, social psychology, sports, and everyday life.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, David Koeppel

What emerges in "The Wisdom of Crowds" is a book that is both clever and slightly tiresome.
added by Katya0133 | editWall Street Journal, George Anders

This work is an intriguing study of collective intelligence and how it works in contemporary society.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Lucy Heckman

Surowiecki's style is pleasantly informal, a tactical disguise for what might otherwise be rather dense material.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

James Surowieckiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Surowiecki, JamesAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mom and Dad
An exploration of the social, scientific and historical reasons behind anti-vaccine proponents and an argument against this stance.

In this fascinating book, New Yorker business columnist James Surowiecki explores a deceptively simple idea: Large groups of people are smarter than an elite few, no matter how brilliant–better at solving problems, fostering innovation, coming to wise decisions, even predicting the future.

With boundless erudition and in delightfully clear prose, Surowiecki ranges across fields as diverse as popular culture, psychology, ant biology, behavioral economics, artificial intelligence, military history, and politics to show how this simple idea offers important lessons for how we live our lives, select our leaders, run our companies, and think about our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

In this book, New Yorker columnist Surowiecki explores a deceptively simple idea that has profound implications: large groups of people are smarter than an elite few, no matter how brilliant--better at solving problems, fostering innovation, coming to wise decisions, even predicting the future. With seemingly boundless erudition and in clear, entertaining prose, Surowiecki ranges across fields as diverse as popular culture, psychology, ant biology, economic behaviorism, artificial intelligence, military history and political theory to show just how this principle offers important lessons for how e live our lives, select our leaders, run our companies, and think about our world.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible