The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are…

The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are Smarter Than the Few and How… (2004)

by James Surowiecki

Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations by Clay Shirky (rakerman)
    rakerman: Shirky covers a lot of the "nonintuitive properties of internet-enabled crowds" ground that is explored in depth in Wisdom of Crowds
    Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex by Jeffrey Kluger (Othemts)

English (56)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (60)
Never have I enjoyed a book so much that I completely disagreed with. There is much I learned here about processes and fundamental workings of everyday behavioral phenomena, but his thesis doesn't hold water. I can show you oodles of examples where the crowd is downright foolish, from voting the wrong people into office, to polls revealing mind-blowing weird public opinion, to my very own board meetings where we all seem to have lost our minds. The author cherry picks examples that suit his idea while ignoring very obvious antithetical ideas, and he seems smart enough even to perhaps have penned a Devil's Advocate book called "The Stupidity of Crowds."
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
There's even a Large Print in CLAN! Recommended by James Gleick in The Information.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I don't really have a lot to say about this book. I agree with the basic argument that groups can be smarter than individuals at certain tasks, but I wanted more substantive support. The anecdotes and illustrations used to back up the author's claims simply don't add up to a very strong argument. They're too circumstantial.

However, I was entertained and I think I probably learned something about how to set up a group to make better decisions. ( )
1 vote wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
A very interesting book. If you like informative nonfiction written in a popular, easy-to-understand format, then you'll love this. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
This book was so bad that reviewing it feels like a waste of time, but I will briefly explain what's wrong with it. The author begins with an old idea: crowds can be wise when they exhibit diversity of opinion, independence, decentralization and when their views can be aggregated. Hayek presented this idea in the context of markets in his 1945 paper "The use of knowledge in society". Like a true journalist the author has collected a heap of stories which he thinks illustrate the idea, but he's badly mistaken. Probably 60-70% of the topics he discusses are not valid examples of collective intelligence at work. Many of his stories are pointless and yield no conclusions whatsoever.

It seems to me that the author hasn't understood collective intelligence at all. He could have easily tested his examples by assessing whether or not they meet the four criteria he cites in the beginning - diversity, independence, decentralization and aggregation. If he had done that, weeded out the invalid cases and explained for each valid case how the criteria are met, I would have liked this book. But he seems to have forgotten the criteria as soon as he wrote them down and goes on to recount all kinds of irrelevant tales which have little or nothing to do with collective intelligence. Even in the limited number of examples where he has managed to correctly identify collective intelligence at work, he usually fails to explain how the four criteria are met.

I strongly advice against reading this book. No useful lesson can be learned from an author who hasn't understood the idea he's trying to convey.
1 vote thcson | Apr 16, 2014 |
In ''The Wisdom of Crowds,'' James Surowiecki, who writes a column called The Financial Page for The New Yorker, challenges that received wisdom. He marshals evidence from the social sciences indicating that people in large groups are, in effect, better informed and more rational than any single member might be. The author has a knack for translating the most algebraic of research papers into bright expository prose -- though the swarm of anecdotes at times makes it difficult to follow the progress of his argument.
added by mikeg2 | editNew York Times, Scott McLemee (May 22, 2004)
New Yorker business columnist Surowiecki enlivens his argument with dozens of illuminating anecdotes and case studies from business, social psychology, sports, and everyday life.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, David Koeppel
What emerges in "The Wisdom of Crowds" is a book that is both clever and slightly tiresome.
added by Katya0133 | editWall Street Journal, George Anders
This work is an intriguing study of collective intelligence and how it works in contemporary society.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Lucy Heckman
Surowiecki's style is pleasantly informal, a tactical disguise for what might otherwise be rather dense material.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly

James Surowieckiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Surowiecki, JamesAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mom and Dad

In this fascinating book, New Yorker business columnist James Surowiecki explores a deceptively simple idea: Large groups of people are smarter than an elite few, no matter how brilliant–better at solving problems, fostering innovation, coming to wise decisions, even predicting the future.

With boundless erudition and in delightfully clear prose, Surowiecki ranges across fields as diverse as popular culture, psychology, ant biology, behavioral economics, artificial intelligence, military history, and politics to show how this simple idea offers important lessons for how we live our lives, select our leaders, run our companies, and think about our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

In this book, New Yorker columnist Surowiecki explores a deceptively simple idea that has profound implications: large groups of people are smarter than an elite few, no matter how brilliant--better at solving problems, fostering innovation, coming to wise decisions, even predicting the future. With seemingly boundless erudition and in clear, entertaining prose, Surowiecki ranges across fields as diverse as popular culture, psychology, ant biology, economic behaviorism, artificial intelligence, military history and political theory to show just how this principle offers important lessons for how e live our lives, select our leaders, run our companies, and think about our world.--From publisher description.… (more)

235 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible