The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

The Hundred Dresses (original 1944; edition 2004)

by Eleanor Estes, Louis Slobodkin (Illustrator)

2,873832,012 (4)68
Member:MBels
Title:The Hundred Dresses
Authors:Eleanor Estes
Other authors:Louis Slobodkin (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (2004), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 96 pages

The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (1944)

Everyone should The Hundred Dresses! ( )
  ChelseaClaudett | Mar 8, 2016 |
As a child I read this story of a young girl and the poor immigrant schoolmate she sees bullied, and it still sticks with me. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book draws upon the importance of not being a bystander and taking action when you feel that something is not right. I think that this is a very strong moral that should be conveyed to every classroom. I would share this with a 3rd-5th grade class.
  sierragriggs | Dec 18, 2015 |
The Hundred Dresses is about a girl named Wanda Petronski who is poor but claims she has one hundred dresses. Every day the girls ask Wanda how many dresses she has and it becomes a game for the girls. Each day Wanda says one hundred but the girls still ask her every day. But one day their teacher announces a drawing contest and for the girls it is dresses. And Wanda draws one hundred dresses. I really liked this book because I didn't know if I believed Wanda until I kept reading on. The author also did a great job of drawing me in. I reccomend this book to people who like clothes. ( )
  AnnabelN8 | Oct 27, 2015 |
I really liked the way that this book paints the picture of a school bullying situation in a way that shows the complexities of each role, the perpetrator, the victim and the bystander. I love that parallels are drawn between both the bystander and the perpetrator as well as the bystander and the victim to show that each of these roles is complex in nature. Also, for Maddie the bystander, her friend's bullying of Wanda weighs heavily on her conscience as she recognizes and is troubles by these parallels. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I think it could be a really great read for upper elementary school kids, especially girls, in order to have them think about the ways their actions effect others prior to entering middle school. I also enjoyed the illustrations and the fact that, within these illustrations, all of the characters are kept faceless to show that anyone can be in any of the roles portrayed. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Aug 11, 2015 |

Eleanor Estesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alemagna, BeatriceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estes, HelenaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slobodkin, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Today, Monday, Wanda Petronski was not in her seat.
She stood by silently, and that was just as bad as what Peggy had done.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152052607, Paperback)

Wanda Petronski lives way up in shabby Boggins Heights, and she doesn't have any friends. Every day she wears a faded blue dress, which wouldn't be too much of a problem if she didn't tell her schoolmates that she had a hundred dresses at home--all silk, all colors, and velvet, too. This lie--albeit understandable in light of her dress-obsessed circle--precipitates peals of laughter from her peers, and she never hears the end of it. One day, after Wanda has been absent from school for a few days, the teacher receives a note from Wanda's father, a Polish immigrant: "Dear teacher: My Wanda will not come to your school any more. Jake also. Now we move away to big city. No more holler Polack. No more ask why funny name. Plenty of funny names in the big city. Yours truly, Jan Petronski."

Maddie, a girl who had stood by while Wanda was taunted about her dresses, feels sick inside: "True, she had not enjoyed listening to Peggy ask Wanda how many dresses she had in her closet, but she had said nothing.... She was a coward.... She had helped to make someone so unhappy that she had had to move away from town." Repentant, Maddie and her friend Peggy head up to Boggins Heights to see if the Petronskis are still there. When they discover the house is empty, Maddie despairs: "Nothing would ever seem good to her again, because just when she was about to enjoy something--like going for a hike with Peggy to look for bayberries or sliding down Barley Hill--she'd bump right smack into the thought that she had made Wanda Petronski move away." Ouch. This gentle Newbery Honor Book convincingly captures the deeply felt moral dilemmas of childhood, equally poignant for the teased or the tormentor. Louis Slobodkin, illustrator of the 1944 Caldecott Medalist Many Moons, brings his wispy, evocative, color-washed sketches to Eleanor Estes's time-proven classic about kindness, compassion, and standing up for what's right. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

In winning a medal she is no longer there to receive, a tight-lipped little Polish girl teaches her classmates a lesson. Includes a note from the author's daughter, Helena Estes.

71 wanted1 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,803,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible