I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us…

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Ed Yong (Author)

Member:2wonderY
Title:I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
Authors:Ed Yong (Author)
Info:Ecco (2016), Edition: 1, 368 pages
Collections:Audio, Science, Currently reading
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2017, microbes

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong (2016)

Always interesting and occasionally elegant or laugh-out-loud funny. Highly recommended. ( )
  2wonderY | Oct 17, 2017 |
A very readable summary of the most recent studies into the interactions of microbes with the rest of life illustrating their ubiquitous nature, often benefitting, sometimes harming. ( )
  snash | Oct 4, 2017 |
The microbes within us and a grander view of life
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This is an excellent book. It does a great job of addressing a fast-evolving field and is honest about the limitations of our knowledge of the topic. I was very impressed. (I also really appreciated Yong's visit to Chicago at the end!)

For anyone else reading the kindle edition - there are some photos at the end of the book that weren't linked to anywhere else, so make sure you catch those. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jun 3, 2017 |
As a biologist who studies multicellular organisms, and avoided microbiology wherever possible, this is something of a revelation. Yong makes a good case for treating individuals as walking communities or ecosystems; evolutionary biology and medicine need to keep this in mind. ( )
  adzebill | Jan 18, 2017 |
Ed Yong is a talented British science writer, a staff writer for The Atlantic and the author of a wonderful blog, Not Exactly Rocket Science, hosted by National Geographic. “I Contain Multitudes,” his first book, covers a huge amount of microscopic territory in clear, strong, often epigrammatic prose. Yong has advanced degrees in biology, and he is remarkably well informed; he includes descriptions of many studies that are still unpublished, and even a few original ideas for new experiments. He is infectiously enthusiastic about microbes, and he describes them with verve.

Prologue: A Trip to the Zoo

Baba does not flinch.

Joining the ranks of popular science classics like The Botany of Desire and The Selfish Gene, a groundbreaking, wondrously informative, and vastly entertaining examination of the most significant revolution in biology since Darwin—a “microbe’s-eye view” of the world that reveals a marvelous, radically reconceived picture of life on earth.

Every animal, whether human, squid, or wasp, is home to millions of bacteria and other microbes. Ed Yong, whose humor is as evident as his erudition, prompts us to look at ourselves and our animal companions in a new light—less as individuals and more as the interconnected, interdependent multitudes we assuredly are.

The microbes in our bodies are part of our immune systems and protect us from disease. In the deep oceans, mysterious creatures without mouths or guts depend on microbes for all their energy. Bacteria provide squid with invisibility cloaks, help beetles to bring down forests, and allow worms to cause diseases that afflict millions of people.

Many people think of microbes as germs to be eradicated, but those that live with us—the microbiome—build our bodies, protect our health, shape our identities, and grant us incredible abilities. In this astonishing book, Ed Yong takes us on a grand tour through our microbial partners, and introduces us to the scientists on the front lines of discovery. It will change both our view of nature and our sense of where we belong in it.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 05 Jun 2016 14:21:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible