Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, Book 2)…

Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, Book 2) (edition 2006)

by Alexis Morgan

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, Book 2)
Authors:Alexis Morgan
Info:Pocket Star (2006), Edition: Pocket Star Books Pbk. Ed, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR

Dark Defender by Alexis Morgan

This book was almost the same as book one, Dark Protector. If the characters had the same names, I wouldn’t know I was reading a different book. Even the “surprise” ending was the same.
The author made a point of telling us that Brenna was very smart, so why did she do such stupid things, and act so childish?

The sex scenes were so 70’s, the kind I read from Harlequin novels at age 12. I read one excerpt out loud to my husband. We laughed a lot, especially the line that said, “Nothing and no one had ever taken her with this primitive abandon”, at which point my husband said, “Put the puppies back in the cage.”

I will not bother reading any more of her books.
  lsfayne | Apr 16, 2014 |
Dark Defender
4 Stars

Synopsis:
As a Paladin, Blake Trahern fights and dies over and over in the battle against the Others who threaten to invade our world. Now he finds himself reunited with a woman from his past and swears to protect her against a traitor among the Paladins but will he be able to save her and himself when the time comes.

Review:
A solid continuation of the series. Morgan’s writing and dialogue is smooth but her world building is still lacking sufficient detail to completely flesh it out. Hopefully this will be remedied in the next book as the hero, Barak, it one of the Others and his story will provide the perfect opportunity to compare the two worlds in-depth.

The characterization has improved with the provision of more comprehensive background information on Blake’s childhood and adolescence, something that is missing for Devlin’s character in the first book. Brenna is also a strong and likeable heroine, and the fact that she does not immediately believe Blake’s explanations and has trouble accepting the idea of who he is and what he does goes a long way to suspending the reader’s disbelief.

Blake and Brenna’s romance is consequently stronger and more believable than in book one and their shared back story also contributes to the plausibility of their relationship. The reunion between past acquaintances/friends/lovers is a favorite theme of mine and it is well developed in this installment. However, while it is clear that Blake and Brenna will end up together (this is a paranormal romance after all), the final resolution of their relationship is somewhat lackluster and disappointing.

The conspiracy plot continues and takes on additional layers. However, the villain is more annoying than threatening and there is very little buildup of tension and suspense. Moreover, the search for a cure to the Paladins worsening condition does not develop any further and this is frustrating.

In sum, the underlying concept of the series is intriguing and the books are enjoyable. I look forward to reading the next one. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Blake and Brenna's story. He's is not far from becoming Other but maybe Brenna can save him. She is the daughter of the judge and mentor who helped Blake come into himself. He must come to her rescue when her father is murdered in car bomb. ( )
  hbos0527 | Jul 1, 2011 |
When Brianna Nichols was a young girl when her father took in a tough street living teen, Blake Trahern, who had been brought into his Courtroom for one of many offenses. Brianna knew that her father had seen something in Blake that had inspired him to take a chance on him but she never knew that someday it would cost her father his life.

Blake Trahern had been living the life of a Paladin since the time he graduated high school, thanks to the intervention of a caring judge who had recognized in him a potential to be more than a criminal youth. When he left his home at the age of 18 it was as much to get away from the Judge's too young, too enticing daughter, Breanna as it was to take up his place among the Paladins, warriors fighting against the monstrous Others. However, when Blake discovers that Breanna was almost killed in a car bombing that took her father's life, nothing in the world would stop him from protecting her. But, can Blake resist Breanna long enough to discover her father's murder and make sure she is safe?

Dark Defender is the second installment in Alexis Morgan's paranormal romance series about Paladins fighting against creatures threatening to come into and take over our world. I think I enjoyed this volume perhaps a little more than the first book. I surely enjoyed reading about the characters of Blake and Breanna and found them to be interesting. It is easy to see what characters will probably get novels of their own in the future. I found the romance to be satisfying and the plot was interesting and exciting, if a little formulaic. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her next Paladin story, In Darkness Reborn, when it comes out at the end of the month. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jun 10, 2007 |

As a Paladin warrior, Blake Trahern fights and dies again and again to keep mankind safe from the Others. Sensing his humanity slipping away with each battle, he retreats from the world...until the one person who still has a claim on his soul needs his help. It's been twelve years since Blake vanished from Brenna Nichols's life, yeras that have turned her from a love-struck teen into a headstrong, sensual woman. He'll fearlessly give his life to protect her--yet he dare not risk his heart. --on back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,973,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible