A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's…

A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32 (original 1979; edition 1990)

by Joan W. Blos

1,370None5,653 (3.47)24
Member:eduscapes
Title:A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32
Authors:Joan W. Blos
Info:Aladdin (1990), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Tags:location-Tubnewbery80, 1830's, death, farm life, friends, maple sugaring, New Hampshire, remarriage, quilts

A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32 by Joan W. Blos (1979)

Understated and affecting story of a young girl in New England, and the two years during which she went from being a heedless girl to being nearly a woman grown. Historical detail is rich in this book. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
“It was an apt choice, . . . for are we not, all of us, wand’rers and strangers; and do we not, all of us, travel in danger or voyage uncharted seas?”

Father speaks of the quilt, her Mariner’s Compass, that Catherine, 14, is piecing, under the guidance of her new stepmother. This novel, in the form of a diary, covers two years of Catherine’s life in rural New Hampshire. Running the house after her mother’s death, school days, friends, marriages, death and life, a runaway slave - seasons and times, and a young girl, change.

”This year, more than others, has been a lengthy gathering of days wherein we lived, we loved, were moved; learned how to accept.”

Beautiful. 4.2 stars ( )
1 vote countrylife | Mar 14, 2012 |
from notecard for class in 2004:

Rating: 3 (out of a 3 star system?)

Summary: "journal of a girl coming of age in 19th century New Hampshire." Her struggle with her father remarrying, and the death of her best friend.

RL: 6.7; IL: MG
  YoungGeekyLibrarian | Dec 29, 2011 |
It is just what my weary spirit needed. This is a simple tale told from the perspective of 13 year old Catherine Hall, set in pioneer days of New Hampshire during the dates of 1830-1832. With a feel similar to the books of Laura Ingalls Wilder, this book has a lyrical rolling quality while depicting the joys and hardships of pioneer days.

It harkens back to a time when children respected teachers and parents, when everyone shared responsibility of maintaining components of survival and when what would now be considered simple pleasures, held so much meaning then.

Here is a snipet:

"Teacher Orpha sometimes permits the conduct of school out of doors. On these days we convene near the tree, the littlest ones gathering close to her, and some times, even, one of the babes will lay his head in her lap "Poor little thing," she'll say with a smile. Or maybe, "Pretty dreamer!"

Then does the droning of our voices rival that of the somnolent bees while off to one side, the more wakeful infants intone their little verses, and their abc's."

Recommended for a fall day when the air is crisp and the frost is on the pumpkin. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Nov 19, 2011 |
A very interesting slice-of-life look at New England in the 1830s. Even though it was written in the 1970s, it is pretty historically accurate (to my untutored mind at least) – dealing with distances, snow, and the isolation of a community in New Hampshire. The characters are believable, and the story is wonderfully understated. While there are major events in this book, they happen in and among normal and small events – just like real life. The book covers somewhat less than two years, and you are left wanting to know more about this girl’s life after the diary ends. (pannarrens)
  sylvatica | Nov 27, 2010 |
Sarah's book
To my namesake, Catherine:

I give you this book on your fourteenth birthday, as I turned fourteen the year of the journal; the year that was also my last on the farm tho' I did not know it then.
It was an apt choice ... for are we not, all of us, wand’rers and strangers; and do we not, all of us, travel in danger or voyage uncharted seas?
...now does the present re-pay the past and flow on towards the future.

From the back cover: I, Catherine Cabot Hall, aged 13 years 6 months, 29 days. . .do bebin this journal. So begins this journal of a girl coming of age in nineteenth-century New Hampshire. Catherine records both the hardships of pioneer life and its many joys. Even as she struggles with her mother's death and father's eventual remarriage, Catherine's indomitable spirit makes this saga an often-times uplifting and joyous one.

The journal of a fourteen-year-old girl, kept the last year she lived on the family farm, records daily events in her small New Hampshire town, her father's remarriage, and the death of her best friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible