Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George

A Great Deliverance (1988)

by Elizabeth George

Series: Lynley/Havers Mysteries (1)

A Question of Guilt by Frances Fyfield (BeckyJP)
    Hard Truth (An Anna Pigeon Novel) by Nevada Barr (benfulton)
    benfulton: Barr's surprise turn into the psychological thriller is comparable to many of George's mysteries.

English (76)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (82)
I have another Inspector Lynley books in the series but - I can't say I liked this one - It had me engaged, but the story line was just too disturbing for me to say I enjoyed this one. ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
A decently written mystery, with some charming characters. I don't, however, think that I will be continuing the series. ( )
  uemmak | Aug 9, 2018 |
A grisly murder at a farmhouse in the country sends a priest to Scotland Yard asking for help in assigning blame.

This is the first in a series of mysteries, which was recommended to me by a fellow book club member. Since our reading tastes often align, I decided to check it out. The beginning was a little slow going, especially as many characters were being introduced. George also shows a number of rather questionable attitudes towards immigrants and women, which was a bit off-putting.

But once we got into the meat of the story, I was quite intrigued by the multitude of mysteries that started showing up, as well as the characters in the small town. I found myself describing this book as similar to the television show Midsomer Murders, if Midsomer Murders was any good. There is a similarity with the small town rumors and people not being quite as they seem, along with shocking murders that aren't depicted in overly gruesome ways. I wouldn't go quite so far as calling this book a "cozy" mystery because there is a bit of rather uncomfortable crimes described, but it is not done to shock, merely to move the plot along and/or explain motivations.

Overall, despite its issues, I liked this book enough to continue along with the next book in the series. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 8, 2018 |
First in Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley mysteries, A Great Deliverance is a fascinating tale of mystery and suspense set in the Yorkshire countryside. The scenery and people are evocatively described and fit my memories of Yorkshire perfectly. The relationships are fascinating, not just between high-class Lynley and low-class Havers, but also between Lynley and his past, Havers and her past, and all the families and friends intertwined with their tales. The author cleverly weaves backstory into the plot, keeping the tension high and revealing details just when they’re required. There’s a nice touch of humor and surprise in coincidence and detection too. And the American tourists are delightfully odd. It’s a long, slow read with lots of twists and turns, devastating misdeeds, and fascinating resolution. I really enjoyed it.

Disclosure: As a treat, I hope to work my way through this series, starting here of course. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jul 20, 2018 |
glad to have finally read the first in this series. it was a bit plodding at moments as there is a good chunk of space dedicated to establishing the characters, their pasts, and their relationships. but the characters are well done and it was defintely engaging enough for me to want to continue reading, once the detective work got underway properly. the crime in this first case is particularly heartbreaking and awful. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 15, 2018 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And he said, ye have taken away my gods which I made, and the priest and ye are gone away; and what have I more? Judges 19:24
For Natalie in celebration of the growth of the spirit and the triumph of the soul.
It was a solecism of the very worst kind.
"The lovely Thais by his side,
Sate like a blooming Easter bride,
In flow'r of youth and beauty's pride.
Happy, happy, happy pair!
None but the brave deserves the fair."
-John Dryden, Alexander's Feast;or, The Power of Music
"One sin, I know, another doth provoke.
Murder's as near to lust as flame to smoke."
- William Shakespeare, Pericles

De zestienjarige Roberta Teys wordt met haar mooiste kleren aan gevonden in een boerenschuur in het landelijke Engelse dorpje Keldale. Naast haar liggen een bijl en het ontzielde lichaam van haar vader. Onthoofd. Het enige wat Roberta erover zegt, is: 'Ik heb het gedaan. Ik heb geen spijt.' Scotland Yard geeft de leiding van het onderzoek in handen van inspecteur Thomas Lynley en zijn absolute tegenpool Barbara Havers.
Elizabeth George heeft voor haar werk de Anthony Award, de Agatha Award en in Frankrijk Le Grand Prix de Littérature Policière gewonnen. Ze werd tevens genomineerd voor de Edgar Award, de Macavity Award en de Duitse MIMI Award.

To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in Keldale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hidden to escape the ravages of Cromwell's raiders.

Now into Keldale's pastoral web of old houses and older secrets comes Scotland Yard Inspector Thomas Lynley, the eighth earl of Asherton. Along with the redoubtable Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers, Lynley has been sent to solve a savage murder that has stunned the peaceful countryside. For fat, unlovely Roberta Teys has been found in her best dress, an axe in her lap, seated in the old stone barn beside her father's headless corpse. Her first and last words were "I did it. And I'm not sorry."

Yet as Lynley and Havers wind their way through Keldale's dark labyrinth of secret scandals and appalling crimes, they uncover a shattering series of revelations that will reverberate through this tranquil English valley—and in their own lives as well.

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in kekdale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hiddend to escape the ravages of Cornwell' raiders....now.......… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,474,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible