Totdat de dood ons scheidt by Elizabeth…

Totdat de dood ons scheidt (original 1988; edition 2010)

by Elizabeth George

Member:Zucco29
Title:Totdat de dood ons scheidt
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Utrecht Bruna 2010
Rating:*

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George (1988)

A Question of Guilt by Frances Fyfield (BeckyJP)
    The Killings at Badger's Drift by Caroline Graham (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Small English village, gruesome twisted crime.
    Hard Truth by Nevada Barr (benfulton)
    benfulton: Barr's surprise turn into the psychological thriller is comparable to many of George's mysteries.

English (51)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (56)
This is the first in the Inspector Lynley mystery series by Elizabeth George and it introduces Scotland Yard Inspector Thomas Lynley, the 8th Earl of Asherton and Barbara Havers, a blue collar Sergeant. The mystery alone makes this an interesting book to read, but what raises this above all the other good mysteries is the character development of Lynley and Havers. As an Earl, Lynley doesn't need to work, and even more so, doesn't need to work for Scotland Yard tracking down seedy criminals. Havers is the polar opposite of Lynley - plain and dumpy, unsuccessful in her career, and from very poor blue collar stock, whereas Lynley is the Golden Boy - handsome, wealthy, titled, successful, and a complete chick magnet. Part of this novel is the story of how Lynley and Havers form a begrudging partnership and it is wonderfully scripted, showing both partners perspectives. Although I've enjoyed some of the middle books in this series, this is definitely one of those mystery series that has to be read in order. Glad to start at the beginning and looking forward to enjoying all of them. ( )
  jmoncton | Jul 7, 2014 |
Very much enjoyed the book. Looking forward to reading others in the series. ( )
  gail616 | Apr 21, 2014 |
It says something about my own innocence--or do I mean to say my own complete naïveté--that such tremendous evil takes me by such complete surprise.

I thought it was only in George's later books that such raw human depravity would regularly be uncovered. My thought to read the Lyndley series in order of the publishing date was probably an effort to build up a callous membrane of self-protection. Nice try, but it appears no cigar will be awarded.

For a first book, this has none of the normal weaknesses. I will assume she wrote other books prior to this one.

Why not 5 stars? I don't have a good reason other than this much ugliness deserves some type of punishment. Should you read the book? If you enjoy good psychological mysteries, the answer is a resounding yes. ( )
  kaulsu | Apr 10, 2014 |
I've watched a few episodes of "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries" produced by the BBC, and I knew that I'd have to get my hands on the books they were based on sooner or later. I'm glad I finally made the effort.

Back in the 1980s when this book was first published, I think the subject matter behind the murder was much more "new" and shocking than it is today. Perhaps that's a sad statement on today, but it did have an effect on how I felt about the story line surrounding the plot. I easily picked up on behavioral clues and the like, so I wasn't surprised. I also wasn't disappointed for two reasons: one, this story line is extremely well done, and two, there's much more to A Great Deliverance than the crime.

What wowed me about this book were the two main characters. A fellow police officer at Scotland Yard describes Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers as "a truculent pigheaded little bitch" (which is pretty close to the mark), and Havers herself describes new partner Lynley as "that sodding little fop." Havers can't seem to work with anyone. She's on the verge of being tossed out on her ear. Whatever gave her superior the idea that this stubby, combatant woman would work well with sauve, aristocratic, well-dressed Inspector Thomas Lynley was either a stroke of genius... or blind, staggering luck.

They don't work all that well together in this first book, but the glimmer is there. In any other book, handsome Inspector Lynley would be the star, and with his background and his history of relationships, he is an incredibly interesting man about whom I want to learn much more. However, Lynley is not the star of A Great Deliverance. That honor goes to a woman who's close to becoming unhinged-- plain, ill-dressed, rude, and belligerent Barbara Havers steals the show, and her story has the power to put readers through an emotional roller coaster ride.

After being drawn so deeply into this story and into the lives of these two marvelous characters, I can't wait to see how the series progresses. Once again, books win over film! ( )
3 vote cathyskye | Sep 28, 2013 |
A Great Deliverance is the first novel in the Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George. Inspector Lynley and DS Havers from the Metropolitan Police Force are assigned to take care of a case in Yorkshire where a young girl Roberta has confessed to the murder of her father. The murderer has decapitated the victim. as they investigate the evidence suggests that the girl couldn't have killed her father like she suggested. They also find that there are potentially a number of other suspects each of whom has their own skeletons in the closet.

This books is a fairly standard police procedural novel. The theme of class runs throughout this book, particularly in the juxtaposition between Inspector Lynley and his working class sidekick DS Havers. Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 27, 2013 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And he said, ye have taken away my gods which I made, and the priest and ye are gone away; and what have I more? Judges 19:24
For Natalie in celebration of the growth of the spirit and the triumph of the soul.
It was a solecism of the very worst kind.

De zestienjarige Roberta Teys wordt met haar mooiste kleren aan gevonden in een boerenschuur in het landelijke Engelse dorpje Keldale. Naast haar liggen een bijl en het ontzielde lichaam van haar vader. Onthoofd. Het enige wat Roberta erover zegt, is: 'Ik heb het gedaan. Ik heb geen spijt.' Scotland Yard geeft de leiding van het onderzoek in handen van inspecteur Thomas Lynley en zijn absolute tegenpool Barbara Havers.
Elizabeth George heeft voor haar werk de Anthony Award, de Agatha Award en in Frankrijk Le Grand Prix de Littérature Policière gewonnen. Ze werd tevens genomineerd voor de Edgar Award, de Macavity Award en de Duitse MIMI Award.

To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in Keldale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hidden to escape the ravages of Cromwell's raiders.

Now into Keldale's pastoral web of old houses and older secrets comes Scotland Yard Inspector Thomas Lynley, the eighth earl of Asherton. Along with the redoubtable Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers, Lynley has been sent to solve a savage murder that has stunned the peaceful countryside. For fat, unlovely Roberta Teys has been found in her best dress, an axe in her lap, seated in the old stone barn beside her father's headless corpse. Her first and last words were "I did it. And I'm not sorry."

Yet as Lynley and Havers wind their way through Keldale's dark labyrinth of secret scandals and appalling crimes, they uncover a shattering series of revelations that will reverberate through this tranquil English valley—and in their own lives as well.

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:19 -0400)

To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in kekdale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hiddend to escape the ravages of Cornwell' raiders....now.......… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible