Totdat de dood ons scheidt by Elizabeth…

Totdat de dood ons scheidt (original 1988; edition 2010)

by Elizabeth George

Member:Zucco29
Title:Totdat de dood ons scheidt
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Utrecht Bruna 2010
Rating:*

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George (1988)

A Question of Guilt by Frances Fyfield (BeckyJP)
    The Killings at Badger's Drift by Caroline Graham (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Small English village, gruesome twisted crime.
    Hard Truth by Nevada Barr (benfulton)
    benfulton: Barr's surprise turn into the psychological thriller is comparable to many of George's mysteries.

English (65)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (71)
Late in the game to start reading this series by Elizabeth George; most seem to have been made into a series on PBS, but I have not watched any of them. The story is a police procedural with a lot of other issues mixed in, including the crazy workings of the people in a remote British village. The two main characters are DCI Thomas Linley, an aristocrat who has a drive to solve crimes and the DS -- Barbara Havers -- he is assigned to. This is Havers last chance to make it as an investigator, as she has put off all the other DCI she has been assigned to. A strong story, with lots of moving parts, but I found the book very slow to start and almost put it down; once the action got going, however, it was very satisfying. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Jul 1, 2016 |
I finally finished this book. It did not take me forever because I didn't enjoy the book. It took me forever because there was a group of us fighting over it at the library and we kept recalling it from each other. I finally got my turn again and finished my first Detective Lynley mystery.
This was a very interesting mystery full of complicated characters. Detective Lynley's character unfolds as the story goes on and reveals itself to his partner Barbara Havers. You never fully get to know him, though. There is always something held back. Even the suspects have something held back from their character until the very end. Until finally the mystery is solved, with an unexpected resolution, and everything begins to make sense. A truly well-written mystery novel. The content is a little disturbing though. This is not a British cozy mystery. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
From Amazon:

To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in Keldale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hidden to escape the ravages of Cromwell's raiders. Now into Keldale's pastoral web of old houses and older secrets comes Scotland Yard Inspector Thomas Lynley, the eighth earl of Asherton. Along with the redoubtable Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers, Lynley has been sent to solve a savage murder that has stunned the peaceful countryside. For fat, unlovely Roberta Teys has been found in her best dress, an axe in her lap, seated in the old stone barn beside her father's headless corpse. Her first and last words were "I did it. And I'm not sorry." Yet as Lynley and Havers wind their way through Keldale's dark labyrinth of secret scandals and appalling crimes, they uncover a shattering series of revelations that will reverberate through this tranquil English valley—and in their own lives as well.

My Thoughts:

I have watched the TV series for years and loved it but had never read any of the books. This was my Blind Date With A Book for the "Grab a Book and Pull Up A Seat" group recommended by one of my Shelfari friends...and I thank her a thousand times for this recommendation. Thomas Lynley is the golden boy, the eighth Earl of Asherton, who doesn't even need to work . . . but who sees work as his obligation. Barbara Havers is a loose cannon of emotions, instincts and prejudice . . . but who's brilliantly and doggedly determined to find the answers to any crime. How they develop their relationship with one another, and how Haver's attitude and concepts run from hot to cold is quite intriguing. The only thing that I found hard to believe would ever happen was Haver's outburst to Lynley about his personal life. No underling would have spoken to their superior like that and kept their job...but it had it's place in the story line. Lynley's laid back calming personality makes the story come full circle to a stunning conclusion. 5 big stars and on to the next one featuring these two characters.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in Keldale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hidden to escape the ravages of Cromwell's raiders. Now into Keldale's pastoral web of old houses and older secrets comes Scotland Yard Inspector Thomas Lynley, the eighth Earl of Asherton. Along with the redoubtable Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers, Lynley has been sent to solve a savage murder that has stunned the peaceful countryside. ( )
  jepeters333 | May 14, 2016 |
What an ending! I need to read the next one to find out what happens next! ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And he said, ye have taken away my gods which I made, and the priest and ye are gone away; and what have I more? Judges 19:24
For Natalie in celebration of the growth of the spirit and the triumph of the soul.
It was a solecism of the very worst kind.
"The lovely Thais by his side,
Sate like a blooming Easter bride,
In flow'r of youth and beauty's pride.
Happy, happy, happy pair!
None but the brave deserves the fair."
-John Dryden, Alexander's Feast;or, The Power of Music
"One sin, I know, another doth provoke.
Murder's as near to lust as flame to smoke."
- William Shakespeare, Pericles

De zestienjarige Roberta Teys wordt met haar mooiste kleren aan gevonden in een boerenschuur in het landelijke Engelse dorpje Keldale. Naast haar liggen een bijl en het ontzielde lichaam van haar vader. Onthoofd. Het enige wat Roberta erover zegt, is: 'Ik heb het gedaan. Ik heb geen spijt.' Scotland Yard geeft de leiding van het onderzoek in handen van inspecteur Thomas Lynley en zijn absolute tegenpool Barbara Havers.
Elizabeth George heeft voor haar werk de Anthony Award, de Agatha Award en in Frankrijk Le Grand Prix de Littérature Policière gewonnen. Ze werd tevens genomineerd voor de Edgar Award, de Macavity Award en de Duitse MIMI Award.

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

To this day, the low, thin wail of an infant can be heard in kekdale's lush green valleys. Three hundred years ago, as legend goes, the frightened Yorkshire villagers smothered a crying babe in Keldale Abbey, where they'd hiddend to escape the ravages of Cornwell' raiders....now.......… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,925,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible