My Secret Bully by Trudy Ludwig

My Secret Bully

by Trudy Ludwig

Summary: Monica and Katie have been close friends since kindergarten. But even though they've been friends for a long time, Katie begins to secretly bully Monica. She humiliates her, calls her names, excludes her, and manipulates her. Monica starts to feel depressed and isolated so she talks with her mom about what Katie is doing. With her mother's support, Monica stands up to Katie.

Reflection: This book focuses on emotional bullying and shows that it can be as harmful as physical aggression, with devastating, long-term effects. This story really draws readers into Monica's world where she is bullied by a friend and learns how to cope and thrive. ( )
  wendybock | Feb 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for three main reasons. I like this book because of the moral of the story. The moral of the story was bullying. Bullying can come from anyone, even your friends and that was the case for Monica in the book. Monica had a lifelong friend in school with here named Katie. Monica started to notice that Katie was secretly bullying her. The bullying got to the point were Monica wanted nothing to do with Katie. Monica started to get belly pain from be bullied. Finally, with a little encouragement, Monica confronted Katie and Katie knew she was in the wrong. Monica realized that Katie really was not her friend, but a bully. This is a great lesson for students to learn at an early age. Bullying someone can cause that person a great deal of pain. It is hurtful to be mean and no one deserves it. Also, you should talk to someone about you being bullied and confront the bully about it even if it is your friend. If your friend is bullying you, then really they are not your friend at all and you should lose that friend like Monica did. Another reason I liked this book was because it shows that your parents can tell when something is wrong with you and you are able to talk to them about anything. Monica's Mother noticed that Monica was not doing her homework and could tell that something was wrong. Finally Monica confessed to her Mother about Katie and the mother gave great advice to Monica. Parents are the most trustworthy people in the world and you can tell them anything. Lastly, I loved the illustrations because you could see Monica and feel like you were in her shoes. You could see Monica confronting Katie. All the expression and detail put into the illustrations were great. You can see the happiness and sadness from facial expressions and body posture. You could actually see and feel the pain in Monica. People should not be bullying people or their peers. it is extremely hurtful and mean. If you are being bullied, then you should talk to your parents or an adult your trust to get the help needed to solve the problem. ( )
  tcutsa1 | Feb 11, 2016 |
Katie was Monica's best friend. She was nice when they played alone, but started to bully her when they were with their peers. It was emotional and got to a breaking point where she had a talk with her mom about what to do. Her mom and her agreed that this was not her fault, and it was not "just the way girls are, so you better get used to it." Monica and her mom came up with strategies to stand up for herself without bullying Katie back.
  jwelc008 | Nov 30, 2015 |
I really liked this book. In fact, it was one of the best Children’s book I have read in a while. To begin with, there is so much emotion in the book that makes the reader, such as myself, emotional. While I was reading I would say “aw” or “that’s so sad”, etc. It hurts me knowing that Monica was hurting in the story. “Mom says that there are some problems in life that aren’t easily solved and this is one of them. But it helps to know that I’m not alone. I found out that a lot of other kids have had this happen to them—even my mom when she was a kid! But that doesn’t make it right. And that doesn’t mean this is the way it has to be.” This quote from the book is very deep and insightful and also shares the lesson that the book is trying to reach out and teach, which is another reason why I liked the book so much. The book is about bullying and being hurt, and not being you, like Monica was feeling. It was about friendship and emphasized how real friends would not bully you or make you feel unwanted. “Real friends respect your feelings and work things out with you when you have problems. Real friends like you just the way you are.” Lastly, I liked this book because in the end there were a couple pages from the author with resources on making a difference and stopping bullying. There was a page of helpful suggestions on what a target of bullying can do, such as telling the bully to stop, or using humor to deflect the bullying. There was also additional resources and bullying websites for those who need them. The overall main idea of this book is about bullying and friendship. ( )
  margan1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Instructional Use:
This is a great book to use for class meetings when discussing getting along with one another and how to handle a bullying situation.
Summary:
This story tells about a girl who ends up getting bullied by her friend. At first she isn't sure what to do, but she finally decides to tell her mother about it. She learns how to deal with the situation. ( )
  mrspriest | Jul 9, 2014 |

When Monica's friend Katie begins to call her names and humiliate her in front of other kids at school, she feels betrayed and isolated. But with help from her mother, Monica reclaims her confidence from a bully disguised as her friend. Includes a note to parents and teachers, as well as related resources.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible