Legends, Lies, and Cherished Myths of World…

Legends, Lies, and Cherished Myths of World History (1993)

by Richard Shenkman

Bestselling author of Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of American History now takes on the world! Skewering the nonsense we were all taught about the world's revolutions, religions, heroes, and inventors, Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of World History is a whirlwind tour of history from the Trojan War to World War II. Eclectic and fun, Richard Shenkman's well-documented revelations prove that muck of history is indeed "but a fable agreed upon."... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 20, 2015 |
Starting with ancient history and moving right up to World War 2, this book focuses on the aspects of history that we all thought we knew and tells us we were wrong. The layout of the book is great with chapters covering various historical periods, national histories and historical people; each explaining where the history books have gotten it wrong. In addition to be educational, it is also an entertaining read, as the author does throw in a bit of humor to enhance a typically dry subject. ( )
1 vote diamondb | Apr 20, 2008 |
For my mother
Phyllis Shenkman
who keeps growing
We Americans, I have discovered, do not just get our own history wrong.

Whistleblowing historian Richard Shenkman skewers the nonsense we were all taught about the world’s revolutions, religions, heroes, and inventors in a whirlwind tour of history.

Queen Victoria may have usually worn black, but she loved to drink and party.

The English were conned during World War II. Winston Churchill’s famous “finest hour” radio broadcast was not delivered by Winston Churchill but by Norman Shelley, an actor hired to be Churchill’s stand-in.

Marie Antoinette did not say, “Let them eat cake,” Churchill didn’t coin the phrase “the Iron Curtain,” and Caesar never said, “Et tu, Brute?”

Scandal in the English monarchy is nothing new: Fifteen kings fathered children out of wedlock. One queen helped depose her husband so her lover could take his place. Three English kings were gay.

Eclectic, eccentric, edifying, and fun, Richard Shenkman’s eye-opening revelations prove that much of history is indeed “but a fable agreed upon.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

Surveys dozens of misunderstood historical turning points, exposes controversial myths about science and religion, and reveals the long-ignored history of sexual immorality in Western civilization. The book closes with a sparkling review of the historical myths invented by Hollywood.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,718,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible