SuperFoods HealthStyle: Proven Strategies…

SuperFoods HealthStyle: Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health

by Steven G. Pratt

This is the kind of book that is good to read through but not a keeper--particularly if you've read and own the original book by Pratt on the subject, SuperfoodsRX. I thought that book better structured, with each of the 14 "superfoods" getting a chapter and a section following with Menus, Recipes and Shopping Lists. The "Healthstyle" book is structured by season, and I find that harder to pull information out of, despite the topic index. I do appreciate Pratt's approach to nutrition--it seems solid and mainstream and the opposite of extreme, faddish or puritanical. This book was worth a read through for the added foods spotlighted (among them apples, avocado, cinnamon, dark chocolate, honey) the tips on them and sleep and exercise--but I found little here that was new to me, particularly having read the other book--a favorite I frequently reference. That one is a keeper--this one more a book to borrow from the library and take a few notes from. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Apr 21, 2014 |
I'm constantly trying to figure out simple, practical ways to make sure that my family and I live the healthiest life that we can. We walk the kids to the park rather than drive, I've switched ground turkey for ground beef in nearly all of my recipes, and I read nearly every book I can find on exercise, diet and health that I can get my hands on. Now, I take everything I read with a grain of salt, but this book is pretty good. I initially borrowed it from the library, but I ended up picking up my own copy once I realized that there was a wealth of yummy recipes in it. I'm not naive enough to think that I can get my five year old to eat a 2 cups of raw spinach, an apple, an orange, 1/2 cup of beans, oatmeal, honey, 1 - 4 cups of tea, kiwi, and tofu every day, but I can work to incorporate these foods into our daily life more often. I don't know if it will help her live longer, or to have a healthier life, but I'm pretty sure that eating more fiber, and fresh fruits and vegis isn't going to hurt her. And it isn't going to hurt my husband or I either.

This book was really well written. I read it straight through from cover to cover, but it would be just as easy to just read about the food or conditions that you are interested in. There are tons of recipes and advice on getting more exercise and sleep, and decreasing stress levels. I think that it could be overwhelming if you started to read this book and told yourself that you had to eat everything that the author is recommending every day, but if you take his information and consciously attempt to incorporate them into you diet more often, this book becomes a helpful tool. ( )
  lesleydawn | Mar 19, 2008 |
Dr. Pratt expands on his earlier book, Super Foods Rx (see my review), by adding 10 more important foods and by considering what is required for optimum health in addition to good nutrition, these being exercise, adequate sleep and stress management.

I read this type of book, not only to learn things, but to motivate me to do right, and Pratt's and Matthews's two books are among the best, I think.

Roizen's and Oz's books are broader and have good information, but I am so turned off by their super cute style, that I can only read them in short sessions. Dr. Pratt's style is clear, reasonable and not cute.. ( )
  marysargent | Dec 5, 2007 |

HealthStyle is the twenty-first-century program for promoting vigor, preventing disease, and extending your life span

If up until now you have relied on luck, genetics, and a few healthful practices to achieve this goal, SuperFoods HealthStyle will be your authoritative, engaging introduction to a new, better life. Like SuperFoods Rx, the authors’ bestselling book, HealthStyle takes the most recent, cutting-edge research on what lifestyle practices have actually been proven to achieve disease prevention and improve daily functioning -- both physically and mentally -- and translates this information into simple recommendations that you can use to improve your physical and mental health now and in the future.

Evidence abounds that total health is achieved via a network of efforts. You might guess that diet and exercise are important. Did you know that other factors like sleep and stress management can have just as much impact on your daily health and functioning? In HealthStyle Dr. Steven Pratt, dubbed "the Food Dude" by Oprah Winfrey, has expanded on his original thirteen SuperFoods and broadened his focus to include all aspects of health promotion. He covers such topics as:

How ordinary spices like black pepper and cinnamon can make surprising contributions to health promotionWhat the latest compelling research shows about how poor sleep habits could be sabotaging your efforts at weight control, reducing your cognitive abilities, and impairing your overall healthHow achieving "personal peace" can prolong life and improve brain functionWhy dark chocolate, honey, and kiwi have joined the ranks of SuperFoodsHow the simplest imaginable exercise program can be the most effectiveWhy paying attention to one simple aspect of eating could be the answer to weight control

HealthStyle is about extending the true quality of life. It’s about being as active at seventy as you are at thirty-five. It’s about helping to prevent osteoporosis, hypertension, and Alzheimer’s disease. It’s about ending the confusion about how people should exercise and how often. It is about making simple but significant changes to get the most out of life for the rest of your life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:35 -0400)

"SuperFoods HealthStyle will be your authoritative, engaging introduction to a new, better life. Like SuperFoods Rx, the authors' bestselling book, HealthStyle takes the most recent, cutting-edge research on what lifestyle practices have actually been proven to achieve disease prevention and improve daily functioning - both physically and mentally - and translates this information into simple recommendations that you can use to improve your physical and mental health now and in the future."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible