In touch by John Steinbeck, IV
241443,774 (4)None

A narrative of the author’s experience serving as a Communications Specialist in Viet Nam in 1969, and his arrest for marijuana possession shortly after returning to the states, and finally some general philosophical reflections.

The book is divided into 3 chapters: “At War”, “At Home” and “At Peace”. The author served as a communications specialist in Viet Nam, mainly stationed in bases within civilian regions of South Viet Nam, but his first hand account is still very valuable contribution to the literature, or history, of that war.

The second chapter includes a reprint of a magazine article describing the trial of his drug arrest. As the son of the famous author, John Steinbeck, and also still serving in the army, the arrest generated a lot of publicity. The article, “Who Me? I’m a Sociologist”, by Tom Kelly for the Washington Magazine is a very interesting third person perspective on the events described by the primary author, and demonstrates that the trial really had achieved wide publicity. It’s also very well written article, and worth reading on its own.

The last chapter, “At Home” contains general philosophical observations that seem consistent with the times, and somewhat dated. However, in comparison to many post-60’s reflections in print or in film, it has the advantage of being articulate and sincere.

I first read this book in the mid seventies as a college student during the post-war, post-protest decade. I recall that it made a significant impression on me, although the reasons why it did have faded from my memory over time. A while ago, I read that the author passed away, and I decided to reread the book. Even though I found the second reading did not match my fragmented recollection, I enjoyed it a lot. I don’t know if a college or high school student today will find it as interesting: the events that the narrative follows may appear too dated or not relevant. But maybe because it is an intelligent true account of a 22-year-old author’s entry into adult society, they could still like it. Unfortunately, the book is no longer in print.

It’s unfortunate that the author passed away at a young age without following this book with others. He was a good writer. ( )
  dougb56586 | Nov 14, 2009 |

V.g in d/w. 1st Edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible