Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book…

Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book 3) (edition 2007)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:jbemrose
Title:Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book 3)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

It has been a little while since I read this book but here is what I recall...

I love the series!! Yummy romance involving paranormal elements. Plenty of steamy action and a touch of humor!

Definitely a series to get into! I started it and didn't stop until I reached the last book that was released! I am always looking for the next book!

If you like steamy supernatural romances this is a series to look into!!!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
What I love most about the Kitty books is the combination of vulnerability, determination, idealism, and impertinence of the heroine. In a genre that, really, is not all that believable, Vaughn asks for a comparatively minimal suspension of belief. It is an interesting approach.

I love that patriarchal BS rarely goes unanswered, and that the knocks life offers her sometimes leave Kitty down. I love that she chooses to get back up, and I love that she sometimes realistically wallows. As a character, Kitty is well put together.

The love triangle in this series is pretty subtle, and is not characterized by the earmarks of the traditional trope. We will see how things go in the newest book with Cormac out of prison (I'm saving that until I've reread the rest), but I do not anticipate irksome drama given Kitty and Ben's solid relationship.

This particular installation of the series interrogates monstrosity somewhat deceptively. The incidents involved are significant, and powerfully disturbing; yet the writing always feels somewhat lighthearted given the gruesome material. Honestly, this is something I appreciate. It makes the books highly palatable, fun, while still bringing the full impact of metaphor to bear on the plot line. I love the Anita Blake books as well, but lighthearted is something they are definitively not.

Besides the interrogation of monstrosity, Cormac vs. the parochial townspeople vs. the skinwalker, little jumps out at me for my current projects. There is White Horse Fail, what with Kitty saving Ben (as a nurturer though), Cormac saving Ben (but unable to nurture), Kitty saving Alice (action), Cormac saving Kitty (action). So I'm not entirely happy with the one saving the day being Cormac. Kitty gets to save the day enough in other places, but this one really wasn't hers. She wasn't able to do anything with the trial, or to help Cormac, or to help get info really; she spends a lot of time tagging along. There may be a link between this relative passivity and the "break" from her show, that may be worth pursuing.

Sex agency is alive and well in this story, Kitty gets to make sexual decisions and gets something that is starting to look like a happily ever after of sorts for it, so reward for the exercise of sexual agency. It isn't as pronounced as it was in the last book what with her positively portrayed fling, but it is there. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
I spent a lot of this book saying "I can't believe..." The series has left me in turmoil and I have to get to the next book quickly!. 4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 10, 2014 |
Not the most sophisticated writing in the world, but the characters and the story are cute and often poignant. She asks the hard questions about life as something more than human. A great paranormal series. ( )
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
After the dramas of Kitty Goes to Washington, including her own kidnapping, Kitty needs a break. In fact she needs a holiday.

So her show is on hold, much of her life in fact, while she takes stock, finds some peace and writes a book of her memoirs (now in much demand after the dramas she’s lived through).

Of course, few things are ever that simple. Especially with curse wielding locals who are not happy to see a werewolf move into the area, unhelpful police and a campaign of intimidation from her magically capable neighbours.

Cormac and Ben show back up to see her – but it’s not a social call. One of Cormac’s jobs has gone badly wrong – Ben has been bitten by a werewolf and Kitty has to introduce him to his new life as well as herself deal with being part of a pack again. And if that wasn’t enough, the threat that Cormac hunted has followed him back to kitty – and they’re faced with the dual problems of supernatural menace and legal consequences hanging over them

And she has to analyse her own motives – is she taking a holiday? Or has she quit entirely? And not just her job, but her humanity – running off to the wilderness and succumbing more to her wolf.

This was an interesting book with a lot happening. In the past with this series I’ve felt likethere was too much happening in a book, too many storylines squeezed into onebook and none of them given sufficient attention. I didn’t exactly get that feeling here, I think every story got decently developed, but I did feel like we had several stories running that were only tangentially related. They were all connected, but it felt like 4 very short books running one after another. Kitty and her Career Woes. Kitty and her Neighbours, Kitty and Ben the New Werewolf, Kitty and the Skin Walker, Kitty and the Legal Fight to Save Cormac. We seemed to go from one story to the next and each story was such a break from the last that it felt like a short series. It’s not a style I particularly like, in the same way I’m not a lover of short stories. It makes me feel like the author didn’t quite know which story she wanted to tell.

I did love the development of ben into becoming a werewolf. It shows a lot more the difficulties of the transition, the trouble Ben faces and adapting to a whole new set of instincts that have suddenly been dumped into your brain. I like Kitty’s growing pack dynamics and her assumption of an alpha role and even their deepening and developing relationship together (I like this relationship much more than I did the potential relationship between Kitty and Cormac). All in all, it’s a great storyline and I hope to see more of it and more development. It actually serves as a better world building than any amount of lectures or personal naval gazing.

FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea, Denise, April, Melissa, Kevin, and Tim, who were there at the start
She runs for the joy of it, because she can, her strides stretching to cover a dozen feet every time she leaps.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446618748, Mass Market Paperback)

After getting caught turning wolf on national television, Kitty retreats to a mountain cabin to recover and write her memoirs. But this is Kitty, so trouble is never far behind, and instead of Walden Pond, she gets Evil Dead. When werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O'Farrell, Kitty's lawyer, slung over his shoulder, and a wolf-like creature with glowing red eyes starts sniffing around the cabin, Kitty wonders if any of them will get out of these woods alive...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:41 -0400)

Caught on national television transforming into a wolf, Kitty heads to a mountain cabin retreat to recover her equilibrium and write her memoirs, only to have trouble find her once again when someone leaves bizarre animal sacrifices on her front porch, and werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O'Farrell, Kitty's lawyer, and they are all stalked by a strange wolf-like creature with glowing eyes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible