Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book…

Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book 3) (edition 2007)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:jbemrose
Title:Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book 3)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

These books have been consistently good and really fit my mood for something fast and easy to read. Vaughn doesn't go easy on her characters, though. This book had lots of twists and turns, and yet again Vaughn proved she can write an ending that defies all expectations yet is still satisfying. ( )
  ladycato | Jan 14, 2015 |
What I love most about the Kitty books is the combination of vulnerability, determination, idealism, and impertinence of the heroine. In a genre that, really, is not all that believable, Vaughn asks for a comparatively minimal suspension of belief. It is an interesting approach.

I love that patriarchal BS rarely goes unanswered, and that the knocks life offers her sometimes leave Kitty down. I love that she chooses to get back up, and I love that she sometimes realistically wallows. As a character, Kitty is well put together.

The love triangle in this series is pretty subtle, and is not characterized by the earmarks of the traditional trope. We will see how things go in the newest book with Cormac out of prison (I'm saving that until I've reread the rest), but I do not anticipate irksome drama given Kitty and Ben's solid relationship.

This particular installation of the series interrogates monstrosity somewhat deceptively. The incidents involved are significant, and powerfully disturbing; yet the writing always feels somewhat lighthearted given the gruesome material. Honestly, this is something I appreciate. It makes the books highly palatable, fun, while still bringing the full impact of metaphor to bear on the plot line. I love the Anita Blake books as well, but lighthearted is something they are definitively not.

Besides the interrogation of monstrosity, Cormac vs. the parochial townspeople vs. the skinwalker, little jumps out at me for my current projects. There is White Horse Fail, what with Kitty saving Ben (as a nurturer though), Cormac saving Ben (but unable to nurture), Kitty saving Alice (action), Cormac saving Kitty (action). So I'm not entirely happy with the one saving the day being Cormac. Kitty gets to save the day enough in other places, but this one really wasn't hers. She wasn't able to do anything with the trial, or to help Cormac, or to help get info really; she spends a lot of time tagging along. There may be a link between this relative passivity and the "break" from her show, that may be worth pursuing.

Sex agency is alive and well in this story, Kitty gets to make sexual decisions and gets something that is starting to look like a happily ever after of sorts for it, so reward for the exercise of sexual agency. It isn't as pronounced as it was in the last book what with her positively portrayed fling, but it is there. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
It has been a little while since I read this book but here is what I recall...

I love the series!! Yummy romance involving paranormal elements. Plenty of steamy action and a touch of humor!

Definitely a series to get into! I started it and didn't stop until I reached the last book that was released! I am always looking for the next book!

If you like steamy supernatural romances this is a series to look into!!!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |

raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
I spent a lot of this book saying "I can't believe..." The series has left me in turmoil and I have to get to the next book quickly!. 4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 10, 2014 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea, Denise, April, Melissa, Kevin, and Tim, who were there at the start
She runs for the joy of it, because she can, her strides stretching to cover a dozen feet every time she leaps.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446618748, Mass Market Paperback)

After getting caught turning wolf on national television, Kitty retreats to a mountain cabin to recover and write her memoirs. But this is Kitty, so trouble is never far behind, and instead of Walden Pond, she gets Evil Dead. When werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O'Farrell, Kitty's lawyer, slung over his shoulder, and a wolf-like creature with glowing red eyes starts sniffing around the cabin, Kitty wonders if any of them will get out of these woods alive...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:41 -0400)

Caught on national television transforming into a wolf, Kitty heads to a mountain cabin retreat to recover her equilibrium and write her memoirs, only to have trouble find her once again when someone leaves bizarre animal sacrifices on her front porch, and werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O'Farrell, Kitty's lawyer, and they are all stalked by a strange wolf-like creature with glowing eyes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,887,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible