Mij is de wrake by Elizabeth George

Mij is de wrake (original 1991; edition 1999)

by Elizabeth George

Member:vvstokkom
Title:Mij is de wrake
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Utrecht Bruna 1999
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George (1991)

English (17)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
At first this one appears to be out of sync with the earlier episodes in this series, but it is so well written that the reader is caught up in the mystery (almost a closed door classic) while we learn about Thomas Lynley's romance with Deborah Cotter whom he has brought home to meet his mother.

He ends up spending more time with his "best friend" Lady Helen Clyde and his life-long friend forensic scientist Simon Allcourt-St. James and readers are left wondering who will end up marrying whom. An enticing way to keep us ready for the next in the series. ( )
  tututhefirst | Apr 13, 2015 |
One thing about George: she doesn't write pulp mysteries! I love it that I generally have to look up a few words--sometimes just to corroborate their meaning; sometimes because I really am not at all sure!

As ever, my knowledge of the series does not allow me to place the ongoing relationships in the proper sequence. Sorting out Deborah, Lady Helen, the Earl's family....I should start a playbook!

No spoiler alerts, but the title is right on target on several levels! ( )
  kaulsu | Feb 7, 2015 |
Enjoy the Lynley stories—and this gives great backstory (Havers has a walk-one role!) as I haven't read the stories in the proper order. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
It is hard to imagine that Elizabeth George is an American author. Her books are so British. I really enjoy reading this series. ( )
  CheryleFisher | Jan 23, 2014 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of all affliction taught a lover yet,
'Tis sure the hardest science to forget!
How shall I lose the sin, yet keep the sense,
And love the offender, yet detest th' offense?
How the dear object from the crime remove,>br>Or how distinguish penitence from love?
- Alexander Pope
For my Husband, Ira Tobin, in gratitude for twenty years of patience, support and devotion. And for my cousin, Davis Silvestri.
Tina Cogin knew how to make the most of what little she had. She liked to believe it was a natural talent.
"He's been castrated, Helen."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553295608, Mass Market Paperback)

Award-winning author Elizabeth George gives us an early glimpse into the lives of Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, forensic scientist Simon Allcourt-St. James, and Lady Helen Clyde in a superlative mystery that is also a fascinating inquiry into the crimes of the heart. Lynley, the eighth earl of Asherton, has brought to Howenstow, his family home, the young woman he has asked to be his bride. But the savage murder of a local journalist is the catalyst for a lethal series of events that shatters the calm of a picturesque Cornwall village and embroils Lynley and St. James in a case far outside their jurisdiction—and a little too close to home. When a second death follows closely on the heels of the first, Lynley finds he can't help taking the investigation personally—because the evidence points to a killer within his own family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:27 -0400)

The murder of a journalist leads to the exposure of a family secret and the loss of love for Inspector Thomas Lynley, who has just brought his young fiance home to his picturesque Cornwall village.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible