Mij is de wrake by Elizabeth George

Mij is de wrake (original 1991; edition 1999)

by Elizabeth George

Member:vvstokkom
Title:Mij is de wrake
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Utrecht Bruna 1999
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George (1991)

English (13)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (18)
It is hard to imagine that Elizabeth George is an American author. Her books are so British. I really enjoy reading this series. ( )
  CheryleFisher | Jan 23, 2014 |
Great read, will read more from this author ( )
  glinfoot | Jul 12, 2013 |
Have you ever read a murder mystery where you wanted almost every character to die, not just the victim(s), so that they would stop irritating you? I never thought that such an uninteresting mystery could be written by Elizabeth George, but I am sad to say that this book SUCKS.

The plot could not hold my interest. People I did not care about dropped off left and right, the mystery was "solved" with circumstantial evidence and conjecture, and there was very little detection involved. Reading about people taking drugs, I learned, is almost as tedious as watching people take drugs; why do drug users think they are so interesting and edgy? This book also proved that rich people can lead lives as boring as people with modest (or no) income.

But the worst part was the Melrose Place type romantic entanglements of the protagonists. Once again I had to suffer through the angst of star crossed lovers Simon and Deborah: "I DUV you, but...I have baggage!" "Omigawd, I DUV you, too, but I have baggage as well!" Continue ad nauseum--and 360 pages of nausea is painful indeed.

The sole light of this book was Lady Helen Clyde, who somehow managed to cut through all the bullshit cheerfully and gracefully. I wish I could be both so lighthearted while so caring. That bright point aside, this book remains an optional one in the otherwise fantastic Lynley series. ( )
  librarianarpita | Mar 23, 2012 |
In terms of when written, this is the 4th book of the Inspector Lynley series. Chronologically, however, it is the first, so I decided to read it first in my reread of the series. We are introduced to Inspector Lynley, also Lord Asherton, Simon St. James, Lady Helen, and Deborah. These four will appear over and over again in the rest of the series. I love these books because the murder mysteries are good - you don't know whodunit until the end - but the stories of the characters are just as good. There are 3 murders in this one with a motive that will surprise you in the end. I'll say no more! ( )
  hobbitprincess | Mar 12, 2012 |
Award-winning author Elizabeth George gives us an early glimpse into the lives of Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, forensic scientist Simon Allcourt-St. James, and Lady Helen Clyde in a superlative mystery that is also a fascinating inquiry into the crimes of the heart. Lynley, the eighth earl of Asherton, has brought to Howenstow, his family home, the young woman he has asked to be his bride. But the savage murder of a local journalist is the catalyst for a lethal series of events that shatters the calm of a picturesque Cornwall village and embroils Lynley and St. James in a case far outside their jurisdiction—and a little too close to home. When a second death follows closely on the heels of the first, Lynley finds he can't help taking the investigation personally—because the evidence points to a killer within his own family.
  SalemAthenaeum | Nov 14, 2011 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of all affliction taught a lover yet,
'Tis sure the hardest science to forget!
How shall I lose the sin, yet keep the sense,
And love the offender, yet detest th' offense?
How the dear object from the crime remove,>br>Or how distinguish penitence from love?
- Alexander Pope
For my Husband, Ira Tobin, in gratitude for twenty years of patience, support and devotion. And for my cousin, Davis Silvestri.
Tina Cogin knew how to make the most of what little she had. She liked to believe it was a natural talent.
"He's been castrated, Helen."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553295608, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:49 -0400)

The murder of a journalist leads to the exposure of a family secret and the loss of love for Inspector Thomas Lynley, who has just brought his young fiance home to his picturesque Cornwall village.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible