Mij is de wrake by Elizabeth George

Mij is de wrake (original 1991; edition 1999)

by Elizabeth George

Member:vvstokkom
Title:Mij is de wrake
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Utrecht Bruna 1999
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George (1991)

Recently added bytimaz, LisaOswald, frfinch, Pamelar5284, Rena37, private library, Arenda17

English (21)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
A Suitable Vengeance is the fourth of the Lynley-Havers series by Elizabeth George, however, it deals with events that happened prior to the very first book of the series, A Great Deliverance. It has plenty of background for Lynley fans and also reveals a great deal of the Lynley family history. Unfortunately DS Havers plays only a cameo role which is a shame because she would have brought a touch of reality to a highly melodramatic tale. Previous books have hinted at some sort of a triangle between Lynley, St. James and Deborah and this book will finally answer them. It's way too long and really overwritten but as a fan of the series I found it interesting to fill in some of the character's background.

In this book, the main action is set in Cornwall where Lynley plans to introduce his fiancee, Deborah Cotton. A Suitable Vengeance" starts out extremely slowly. In fact, the first murder, that of a local newspaperman, doesn't occur until at least a quarter of the way through. If it had been a straight murder story rather than a vehicle to explore the histories of our main characters it might have been more interesting. The murderer ended up being a surprise for me but I was so annoyed at the Harlequin-like, self-pitying relationships between Lynley, St. James and Deborah that by the time I got there I no longer cared.

The descriptions of Cornwall are excellent, providing a convincing sense of place and an atmospheric backdrop. Hopefully, in her next novels George will return to the approach that worked well in the first three novels, where she writes a great mystery that any observant reader can solve and, along the way, deepens the reader's understanding of some very likable characters. I'm still a fan and have already picked up number 5 of the series, For the Sake of Elena.
" ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
A contemporary murder mystery set in Britain. Rich folks, drug use, love affairs and medical research all play a part in this fairly typical whodunnit.
Not bad - my main complaint is that for the first couple of chapters you really think one of the main characters is an older man, then you find out he's 32. (Both the friend who gave me the book and I felt this way). It's disconcerting to have to readjust your mental image of him so suddenly. And I didn't find the drug use, as portrayed, very convincing. I got the feeling Ms. George has likely not tried any illegal drugs (not that I'm saying she should!) ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

In this book, the main action is set in Cornwall where Lynley plans to introduce his fiancee, Deborah Cotton. "A Suitable Vengeance" starts out extremely slowly. In fact, the first murder, that of a local newspaperman, doesn't occur until at least a quarter of the way through. If it had been a straight murder story rather than a vehicle to explore the histories of our main characters it might have been more interesting. The murderer ended up being a surprise for me but I was so annoyed at the Harlequin-like, self-pitying relationships between Lynley, St. James and Deborah that by the time I got there I no longer cared.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
@ T. Lynley, Insp + St. James - murder + drugs good

pg 274
"I can't change kind of broth. I was when you needed me . . . . only offer you what I am right now, however little that may be . . . ."
––
pg 275 -
" no one tell me when you'd be home again - I thought secret - I realized no one tell me because no one knew so I stopped asking - then after a while I stopped caring - when you came home easier to hate you - so when you left again - as you always did - it didn't really matter"
––
make our way t/ this together not try to go back that's impossible try to go on -

christinejoseph | Jan 7, 2016 |
At first this one appears to be out of sync with the earlier episodes in this series, but it is so well written that the reader is caught up in the mystery (almost a closed door classic) while we learn about Thomas Lynley's romance with Deborah Cotter whom he has brought home to meet his mother.

He ends up spending more time with his "best friend" Lady Helen Clyde and his life-long friend forensic scientist Simon Allcourt-St. James and readers are left wondering who will end up marrying whom. An enticing way to keep us ready for the next in the series. ( )
  tututhefirst | Apr 13, 2015 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, Eduardo G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of all affliction taught a lover yet,
'Tis sure the hardest science to forget!
How shall I lose the sin, yet keep the sense,
And love the offender, yet detest th' offense?
How the dear object from the crime remove,>br>Or how distinguish penitence from love?
- Alexander Pope
For my Husband, Ira Tobin, in gratitude for twenty years of patience, support and devotion. And for my cousin, Davis Silvestri.
Tina Cogin knew how to make the most of what little she had. She liked to believe it was a natural talent.
"He's been castrated, Helen."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553295608, Mass Market Paperback)

Award-winning author Elizabeth George gives us an early glimpse into the lives of Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, forensic scientist Simon Allcourt-St. James, and Lady Helen Clyde in a superlative mystery that is also a fascinating inquiry into the crimes of the heart. Lynley, the eighth earl of Asherton, has brought to Howenstow, his family home, the young woman he has asked to be his bride. But the savage murder of a local journalist is the catalyst for a lethal series of events that shatters the calm of a picturesque Cornwall village and embroils Lynley and St. James in a case far outside their jurisdiction—and a little too close to home. When a second death follows closely on the heels of the first, Lynley finds he can't help taking the investigation personally—because the evidence points to a killer within his own family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:27 -0400)

The murder of a journalist leads to the exposure of a family secret and the loss of love for Inspector Thomas Lynley, who has just brought his young fiance home to his picturesque Cornwall village.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,105,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible