A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's…

A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1859; edition 2008)

by Charles Dickens, Andrew Sanders (Editor)

23,34030247 (3.93)4 / 912
Member:eowynfaramir
Title:A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Andrew Sanders (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2008), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Va Bch Library, Read but unowned, Great Fiction
Rating:****1/2
Tags:19C, fiction, 18C, France, England, British, author, Dickens, classic, class, riots, revolution, history

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (1859)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (krizia_lazaro)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (MarcusBrutus)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    morryb: The French Revolutionary Mob becomes a character in each novel.
    The French Revolution: A History by Thomas Carlyle (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: A main source of inspiration for Dickens in writing A Tale of Two Cities.
    The Glass Blowers by Daphne du Maurier (buchstabendompteurin)

English (290)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  English (302)
A tale of two cities is a very long and detailed historical fiction novel about duality, revolution, violence, love, courage, and sacrifice. There were many sacrifices in this novel by many different characters. The ultimate sacrifice was made by Sydney Carton his sacrifice is pretty heroic. Because of his love for Lucie and his friendship with Darnay, Carton is the example of one of the most important themes implied in this book. Carton helps others, and does not think so much of himself. Right before going to the guillotine, Carton sees a better world, a world where he gave to others, not thinking of himself. These themes help outline an interesting story.

In my opinion that the major strength of this book was the suspense and drama involved to keep the reader hooked. There are always incidents to keep the reader thinking. A major weakness of this book, it was the fact that it was so very long and had a somewhat advanced vocabulary. A Tale of Two Cities was over 300 pages long and took quite a bit of thinking on the reader's part to understand. The novel used some kind of intricate words.

This is a profoundly thoughtful story. It is the sort of novel that should be enormously usable for young people. Much more important, its conception can vivify for us the meanings of the past, can offer us a reading of history, humane and deep, by a great artistic intelligence. ( )
  jesicaester | Dec 3, 2016 |
A Tale of Two Cities is a classic novel, a story of loss, love, and liberty. It definitely wasn't easy to read. It took me a couple weeks to get through. But I specially loved the themes presented in the book. The love triangle, for instance, between Lucie, Charles Darnay, and Sidney Carton is quite heart-wrenching at times. The idea of loving someone and doing anything for them, even sacrificing your own life is a timeless theme. Also this tale of resurrection and redemption set against the backdrop of the French Revolution. I like how Dickens guides us to have sympathy with the revolution while at the same time, showing that switching one evil, repressive regime for another is no revolution at all.

The weaknesses of this tale is very complicated to relate quickly. Suffice to say that various characters are introduced and their interconnected doesn't become fully evident until the last hundred pages. This book required more thought while reading because of deep English. However, the strength of this tale was the interaction between individuals and society. Dickens was particularly intrigued by Carlyle's history, The French Revolution. It captures the imagination of general readers through its swift, exciting story and memorable rendering of the French Revolution.

In conclusion, this book is really great for us to read even though the writer used deep English and quite hard to understand. In addition, very recommended book because it is written by the magnificent writer. ( )
  britneykimberly | Dec 1, 2016 |
This book is know for its first words on the first chapter. It is, y no doubt, one of Dickens' best works of all time. He delivered this book clearly and vividly that I could understand his point on every paragraph. Personally, this book is worth the read.

It is a good book;however, there were some "weaknesses" and "strengths". One of the weakness is that some of the characters cannot be fully understood by the readers. This may be due to the lack of straight-to-the-point words and phrases. Instead, Dickens use long and sophisticated way to describe each character. However, the strength of this book is evident in the vivid and vivacious words that made the characters felt alive.

This book is recommended for people that wants to know more about the French Revolution and how is it felt like in those times. The words chosen in this book is marvelous although some are too extraneous and somewhat redundant. All in all, this book is good and recommended. ( )
  vkurnia22 | Nov 30, 2016 |
It was the best of times, it was the worse of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness… Thus starts one of my favorite books. This could have been written today, for it is so appropriate to our times! And who doesn’t know the first words of Dicken’s “Tale of Two Cities”? Well, actually I had never read it—English not being my mother tongue—and am very glad I do now. What a marvelous book. (I actually read about it in Mrs. Kantor’s excellent “Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature.”) This is the story of love’s redeeming qualities: it purifies the soul, it saves the lost—the best of times; it is also the story of the horrors of the French Revolution and its many excesses and crimes—the worse of times… A tale of love and hate, of the duality of human soul, but also the endurance of good. The movies I watched based upon this book could not perfectly recreate the beauty of its very touching end: one must read it to understand its meaning in the author's own words. Dickens was certainly a Christian man and everywhere we find mentions of God; but I am inclined to believe this will not be an impediment to the agnostic or the atheist readers. Definitely a must read for its literary quality, its lessons and the unmistakable Dickensonian style. ( )
1 vote MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
The least Dickensy of Dickens's novels. Not my favorite, but still better than Barnaby Rudge. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |

Woodcock, GeorgeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

This tale is inscribed to the Lord John Russell in remembrance of many public services and private kindnesses
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul.
This is the main work for A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
Two men look alike.
They love the same good woman.
They’re all in danger.
(marcusbrutus)

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille the aging Dr Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil lanes of London, they are all drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror and soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:50 -0400)

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille, the aging Doctor Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There the lives of two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil roads of London, they are drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror, and they soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine. This edition uses the text as it appeared in its first serial publication in 1859 to convey the full scope of Dickens's vision, and includes the original illustrations by H.K. Browne ('Phiz'). Richard Maxwell's introduction discusses the intricate interweaving of epic drama with personal tragedy.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439602, 0141031743, 0141325542, 0141196904, 0141199709

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,655,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible