A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's…

A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1859; edition 2008)

by Charles Dickens, Andrew Sanders (Editor)

20,15224375 (3.94)4 / 665
Member:eowynfaramir
Title:A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Andrew Sanders (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2008), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Va Bch Library, Read but unowned, Great Fiction
Rating:****1/2
Tags:19C, fiction, 18C, France, England, British, author, Dickens, classic, class, riots, revolution, history

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (1859)

19th century (466) British (294) British literature (336) Charles Dickens (124) classic (1,127) classic fiction (112) Classic Literature (147) classics (941) Dickens (300) ebook (103) England (247) English (144) English literature (308) fiction (2,546) France (350) French Revolution (677) historical (122) historical fiction (442) history (101) Kindle (101) literature (721) London (199) novel (472) own (103) Paris (209) read (236) revolution (102) to-read (303) unread (160) Victorian (203)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (krizia_lazaro)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (MarcusBrutus)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    morryb: The French Revolutionary Mob becomes a character in each novel.
    The French Revolution: A History by Thomas Carlyle (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: A main source of inspiration for Dickens in writing A Tale of Two Cities.

English (234)  Spanish (5)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (243)
Dickens places his own spin on the French Revolution in this classic novel. He captures much of the spirit of the time, especially the opposing classes of nobles and peasants, and revisits the themes which dominate so many of his novels - oppression, violence, and injustice. While A Tale of Two Cities does make a good story - I was impressed by the final sacrifice of Sydney Carton - I could not really get into the story. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 2, 2014 |
"A Tale of Two Cities" has a really good story/plot. The only TWO problems I have with it is 1) it's really boring and dragging. I often make excuse not to read it because its really not that "stimulating". Second, it's not a story you're going to be emotionally invested in. It has a sad story but the way it was written you wouldn't really feel sad about it. It was too detached so unlike "Great Expectations". I wouldn't read this again but I would watch it if there'a movie, I might even like it a lot more. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 17, 2014 |
Hugely moving. Frequently hilarious. Agape.

I wish there was a higher rating I could give. Fabulous, worthy, wonderful book. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Mar 16, 2014 |
2005, Naxos Audiobooks, Read by Anton Lesser

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times …”

I’ve loved those opening lines since forever, but somehow I’ve not read A Tale of Two Cities until now. As is always my experience with Dickens, I was spellbound by his haunting portrayal of the human condition. Here, his juxtaposition of “La Guillotine,” the excessively privileged and inhumanly cruel French aristocracy, with “Hunger,” the brutalized and starving peasant class, is so convincing that there could hardly have been a result other than the French Revolution. Still, I found it interesting that while Dickens is clear about the reprehensible brutishness of the nobility and the need for social justice , he does not condone the disturbing violence of the revolutionaries, a blight which creates its own stain, and perpetuates still more human suffering.

“Along the Paris streets, the death-carts rumble, hollow and harsh. Six tumbrels carry the day’s wine to La Guillotine. All the devouring and insatiate Monsters imagined since imagination could record itself, are fused in one realization, Guillotine. And yet there is not in France, with its rich variety of soil and climate, a blade, a leaf, a root, a sprig, a peppercorn, which will grow to maturity under conditions more certain than those that have produced this horror. Crush humanity out of shape once more, under similar hammers, and it will twist itself into the same tortured forms. Sow the same seed of rapacious license and oppression over again, and it will surely yield the same fruit according to its kind.” (Bk 3, Ch 15)

I thoroughly enjoyed A Tale of Two Cities: powerful, plot-driven, superbly written, and historically fascinating. Favourite characters are Dr. Manette, “recalled to life” from his shoemaker’s bench after a lengthy and wrongful imprisonment; and Sidney Carton, the most self-aware character in the novel, who, in making the ultimate sacrifice, redeems himself from a selfish, wasted life. That said, if I have a criticism of the novel it is that I missed the incredible richness of character I’ve come to expect from Dickens. Lucie, for instance, is all golden-haired goodness; but I know little about her beyond that, and I so wanted more! There’s much less intimacy of private life here. The singular motivation is the Revolution.

Anton Lesser, narrator of this audiobook, is fabulous! A Tale of Two Cities is highly recommended for lovers of Dickens, the classics, and historical fiction. ( )
  lit_chick | Feb 23, 2014 |
I found this book enjoyable though not gripping. And having listened to the audio book, I regret that I may have missed many of the literary elements. ( )
  LaPhenix | Feb 23, 2014 |

Woodcock, GeorgeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

This tale is inscribed to the Lord John Russell in remembrance of many public services and private kindnesses
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul.
This is the main work for A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
Relates the adventures of a young Englishman who gives his life during the French Revolution to save the husband of the woman he loves.

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille the aging Dr Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil lanes of London, they are all drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror and soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:07 -0400)

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille, the aging Doctor Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There the lives of two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil roads of London, they are drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror, and they soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine. This edition uses the text as it appeared in its first serial publication in 1859 to convey the full scope of Dickens's vision, and includes the original illustrations by H.K. Browne ('Phiz'). Richard Maxwell's introduction discusses the intricate interweaving of epic drama with personal tragedy.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439602, 0141031743, 0141325542, 0141196904, 0141199709

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible