Coming Home: Rediscovering Our Sacred Selves…

Coming Home: Rediscovering Our Sacred Selves

by Maggie Hamilton

611,268,033NoneNone

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin once said, ‘We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.’ I’d like to believe this. If you believe it, or if you’re just interested in spirituality, Coming Home is a worthwhile read. Written in simple terms, even if you’re new to the spirit world, you’ll have no trouble grasping the ideas in the book. Also, if you’re seeking the Light, you’ll gain from this book too. To further help the reader understand her concepts, a number of the author’s own experiences behind them are included in the book.

The chapter, ‘Where do we live?’ was particularly interesting to me, covering aspects of spirituality such as spiritual energy, soul vibration and what to make of coincidences in our lives. For those whose ego is too big to fit in your body, there’s a chapter for you called ‘Who am I?’ If owning a Skyline is the most important thing in your life, this chapter will help you. It makes us understand that happiness cannot be gained through material possessions but from a contented soul, which is a lot harder to achieve than saving up for a new car.

Coming Home outlines meditation practices in most of the chapters, prayers for those who are into that, and some trippy instances of the author’s own meditative experiences that are very inspiring. In one, she says that she was taken back to the womb in a highly meditative state, where she experienced all the negative energy that surrounded her mother’s pregnancy. From this she established that the thoughts and attitudes of the people surrounding a pregnant woman can heavily impact on the life of the unborn child. Such revelations are abundant in the book, which will open up your mind.
One objection I have is that although this book claims to be a tool that can guide us through life or on our spiritual quest, there is no index at the back. There are distinct subject headings within the chapters, but if you needed guidance in a specific area, it would be hard to find it.
Otherwise, this book is full of helpful hints to sponge off, as well as real life experiences that the reader can relate to. The author is on her own spiritual quest and has travelled to places that have inspired her on this quest, which in turn, inspire the reader. And for anyone trying to feed their soul, inspiration is worth more than money.

This review was originally published in On Dit, the student newspaper of Adelaide University.
  RyanPaine | Sep 8, 2008 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,314,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible