Bloom County Episode XI: A New Hope by…

Bloom County Episode XI: A New Hope

Info:
Collections:Humor, Comics
Rating:*****

Bloom County Episode XI: A New Hope by Berkeley Breathed

I'm a fangirl. I did a happy dance when Opus showed up on Facebook. I admit it.

Berkeley Breathed bringing Bloom County back has been just as magical for me as his strips were in the 80s. Political and social commentary mixed in with a bit of philosophy and a big helping of silliness, they make me smile, groan, and laugh out loud. Ready to re-read already.

Thanks to NetGalley, Diamond Book Distributors, and IDW Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Hadn't realized how much I missed this crew of reprobates until I picked this up. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
It's like a return to some of the greatest moments from my childhood, reading (and re-reading, many times over) the hilarious and poignant adventures of great friends and fabulous creatures, like Opus, Milo and Steve, but this time with an adult's sensibilities, and sensitivities, to (more) fully understand the subtleties inherent in Breathed's humor. I picked this up on a snowy morning and read it cover to cover in just a few hours. Ahhhh.... So nice.

I want more. ( )
  invisiblelizard | Jan 7, 2017 |
First, I recieved an eArc from Netgalley, Second, I miss Bloom County, and this book just reminded me how much. There were some absentees, like Oliver and Ronald Ann, the senator that Milo was always harassing, Milo & Brinkley's teacher, but for the most part the gang was all there. I miss it so much, that I pulled out some of my old Bloom County books, and there in the front quote of Happy Trails, was this, " I never thought Berke Breathed had any talent, so he was probably forced to quit." Donald J Trump Albany NY, May 4, 1989. And I just have to say, Donald J Trump needs to get the hell out of my happy place in the dandelion meadow. He needs to go find his own. I hope that Mr Breathed finds more inspiration and continues the series in any form he sees fit to. Apparently he is putting them up on Facebook, which means that I will have to rummage in it to find more comic strips. ( )
  babsji | Nov 10, 2016 |
It's Bloom County: you either get the humour or you don't. I've been a huge fan of Breathed's work since the 80's and when he quit if felt like a friend died. His come-back has been a driving force behind my putting up with Facebook's daily crap and most days the only reason I open FB at all.

Episode XI: A New Hope is a collection of the new FB only strips and they are wonderful. I rarely never laugh out loud the way I do when one of Breathed's strips hits me just right. I howled at a few of these and conversely, there were a couple of strips that teared me up.

Breathed is a genius at holding up a mirror for all of us and allows me to laugh at the stuff that normally makes me want to hide under my bed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bring Opus and the gang back. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 11, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 163140699X, Paperback)

OPUS AWAKENS!

In 2015, Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist Berkeley Breathed began (without warning!) producing ALL-NEW Bloom County strips―for the first time in more than 25 years! Breathed released the new Bloom County strips exclusively through his Facebook page, to the cheers of devoted and delighted fans everywhere. These brand new strips have NEVER before been available in print―until now! All the wit, charm and biting satire that are trademarks of Bloom County and Berkeley Breathed are clearly on display and evident in this handsome new volume. Featuring all your favorite characters: Opus, Milo, Bill the Cat, Steve Dallas, Cutter John, and many more. Bloom County has come home… and it’s about time!

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 10 Jun 2016 03:41:49 -0400)

In July of 2015, Breathed reintroduced the world to his brand new Bloom County comic strips, ending a self-imposed exile of more than 25 years. Discover the new adventures of Opus, Bill the Cat, Steve Dallas, Milo Bloom, and the rest of your favorite characters. Includes a commentary throughout by a selection of his Facebook fans.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,136,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible