All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

All-of-a-Kind Family (1951)

by Sydney Taylor

Series: All-Of-A-Kind Family (1)

1,530314,802 (4.15)1 / 63

A sweet old-fashioned story. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
As sweet and nostalgic as I remember, to read about five sisters growing up on New York's Lower East Side, and to see their Jewish faith and customs through a child's eyes as well as through the lens of historical fiction.
Cozy to reread after all these years.
But wow, do I want a pickle. And a hamen taschen ( )
1 vote ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
This story is about a Jewish family and can really help students to learn about people who are Jewish.
  jfala001 | Nov 30, 2015 |
I first read this book when I was a child and loved it, along with the sequels. I have reread it many times as I've gotten older and still enjoy it. Growing up in a secular Jewish home, this is where I learned so much about Jewish holidays and life cycle events. I proudly admit that this series was kind of a blueprint for my [b:Rashi's Daughters, Book I: Joheved: A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France|8074925|Rashi's Daughters, Book I Joheved A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France|Maggie Anton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1271881084s/8074925.jpg|131994] trilogy - a multivolume saga of a Jewish family with lots of daughters set in a fascinating historical time period, where the reader learns about Jewish traditions as they enjoy stories that involve some romance and end happily.

[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
I loved this whole series as a child. I wanted to be Jewish when I read these. I loved the family and the rhythms of their lives. Very kind and sweet. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Sydney Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
John, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father who made it possible;
To my husband who made it probable.
c. 1 The Brodell Family
"That slowpoke Sarah!" Henny cried.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440400597, Paperback)

There's something to be said for a book that makes you wish you'd been part of a poor immigrant family living in New York's upper east side on the eve of World War I. Sydney Taylor's time-honored classic does just that. Life is rich for the five mischievous girls in the family. They find adventure in visiting the library, going to market with Mama, even dusting the front room. Young readers who have never shared a bedroom with four siblings, with no television in sight, will vicariously experience the simple, old-fashioned pleasures of talk, make-believe, and pilfered penny candy. The family's Jewish faith strengthens their ties to each other, while providing still more excitement and opportunity for mischief. Readers unfamiliar with Judaism will learn with the girls during each beautifully depicted holiday. This lively family, subject of four more "all-of-a- kind" books, is full of unique characters, all deftly illustrated by Helen John. Taylor based the stories on her own childhood family, and the true-life quality of her writing gives this classic its page-turning appeal. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:52 -0400)

The adventures of five sisters growing up in a Jewish family in New York in the early twentieth century.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible