dismiss

All-of-a-Kind Family (1951)

by Sydney Taylor

2,177474,971 (4.12)1 / 86
The adventures of five sisters growing up in a Jewish family in New York in the early twentieth century.

I read this book, at least for the second time, with my grandson. It was his second time hearing the story, and he was so engrossed. It is good as a history of the Lower East Side, and the thinking at the time. Many of the same thoughts exist in some communities, But my grandson and I discussed how we know so much more today. ( )
  suesbooks | Apr 15, 2020 |
A delightful and incredibly sweet book about the daily life of a Jewish family growing up in New York city in the 1910s, based on the author's childhood. It's been a favorite since my own childhood, when I read it over and over, and I've always loved reading about the five sisters and their parents. ( )
  Aerelien | Mar 23, 2020 |
Great for a lesson plans! Students would love it!!! ( )
  emailyhope | Nov 21, 2019 |
This is a sweet mid-century book about a Jewish family in the lower East Side at the turn of the century. It's an episodic book, taking place over the course of a year or so. There are a couple of chapters devoted to celebrating Jewish holidays (Sabbath, Purim, Passover, Succos), as well as more general chapters devoted to the sorts of mishaps and adventures a large family of children can get into (losing a library book, a day at the beach, their father's birthday, etc). I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading the rest of the series in the future. ( )
  irasobrietate | Jun 4, 2019 |
There are five children to keep track of in All-of-a-Kind Family: Gerdie, Sarah, Henny, Ella, and Charlotte. Each child has a wonderfully illustrated distinct personality. Together they make their way through turn-of-the-century New York City and all it has to offer whether it be a trip to the carnival atmosphere of Coney Island or around the corner to Papa's shop.
Taylor does a wonderful job including a primer of Jewish customs around the holidays. It does not come across as didactic or religiously heavy. Instead, there is a heartfelt pride in the rituals. It's not a spoiler to say the children have two surprises at the end of the book. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Apr 29, 2019 |

Taylor, Sydneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
John, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father who made it possible;
To my husband who made it probable.
c. 1 The Brodell Family
"That slowpoke Sarah!" Henny cried.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,849,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible