All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

All-of-a-Kind Family (1951)

by Sydney Taylor

Series: All-Of-A-Kind Family (1)

1,409345,375 (4.16)1 / 60

cavlibrary | Nov 16, 2014 |
I first read this book when I was a child and loved it, along with the sequels. I have reread it many times as I've gotten older and still enjoy it. Growing up in a secular Jewish home, this is where I learned so much about Jewish holidays and life cycle events. I proudly admit that this series was kind of a blueprint for my [b:Rashi's Daughters, Book I: Joheved: A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France|8074925|Rashi's Daughters, Book I Joheved A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France|Maggie Anton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1271881084s/8074925.jpg|131994] trilogy - a multivolume saga of a Jewish family with lots of daughters set in a fascinating historical time period, where the reader learns about Jewish traditions as they enjoy stories that involve some romance and end happily.

[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
I loved this whole series as a child. I wanted to be Jewish when I read these. I loved the family and the rhythms of their lives. Very kind and sweet. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is an adorable book that includes the antics of a Jewish family living in New York City during the 1950's. The family includes 5 little girls, known by the librarian as the "All of a Kind Family". The book gives you a glimpse of what life was like for the girls, yet they deal with a lot of the same things girls now would deal with like troubles in school, sicknesses, sibling fights, and adventures of childhood! ( )
  mariahpolen | Dec 10, 2013 |
I think that this book is perfect for a fourth grader. It leads the reader on a journey through the holidays of the Jewish year as experienced by five sisters living on the lower east side of Manhattan in 1912 with their hard working father who has a rag and junk business and their loving and fair mother. There is a visit to Coney Island and Playland, the building of a succos house, celebration of Purim. The descriptions of the Jewish holidays are folded into the day to day lives of the children who operate as a tightly knit group.

Very charming, with a hint of romance between the Gentile librarian and fellow junkman Charlie. ( )
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |

Sydney Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
John, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father who made it possible;
To my husband who made it probable.
c. 1 The Brodell Family
"That slowpoke Sarah!" Henny cried.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440400597, Paperback)

There's something to be said for a book that makes you wish you'd been part of a poor immigrant family living in New York's upper east side on the eve of World War I. Sydney Taylor's time-honored classic does just that. Life is rich for the five mischievous girls in the family. They find adventure in visiting the library, going to market with Mama, even dusting the front room. Young readers who have never shared a bedroom with four siblings, with no television in sight, will vicariously experience the simple, old-fashioned pleasures of talk, make-believe, and pilfered penny candy. The family's Jewish faith strengthens their ties to each other, while providing still more excitement and opportunity for mischief. Readers unfamiliar with Judaism will learn with the girls during each beautifully depicted holiday. This lively family, subject of four more "all-of-a- kind" books, is full of unique characters, all deftly illustrated by Helen John. Taylor based the stories on her own childhood family, and the true-life quality of her writing gives this classic its page-turning appeal. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:19 -0400)

The adventures of five sisters growing up in a Jewish family in New York in the early twentieth century.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible