Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und…

Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren (original 1958; edition 2000)

by Heinrich Böll, Heinrich Böll (Author)

Member:Gio
Title:Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren
Authors:Heinrich Böll
Other authors:Heinrich Böll (Author)
Info:Kiepenheuer & Witsch (2000), Gebundene Ausgabe, 111 pages

Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren by Heinrich Böll (1958)

English (2)  German (1)  All (3)
It’s a very long time since I first read these stories in their original German so what I now remember of them is indeed a distillation. And it’s the story that lends its title to the whole collection that stays uppermost in my mind. Even before I had entered the work-force, it made me aware of the bureaucratic irrelevance of what people might have to do. And Murke’s symbolic stand against such emptiness by staying in the paternoster lift as it goes over the top, giving his day the jolt that his job does not offer is certainly an image that has stayed in my mind.

I also appreciated the wry humour, Böll’s criticism of his society not being so much angry as resigned as in ‘Die ungezählte Geliebte’ where the narrator bucks against the impersonal nature of his job by not counting the girl who attracts him.

I think it would take me a long time now to brush up my German to read these with any sense of continuity so I’m glad most of the stories stay with me – and I guess I’ll watch out for an English translation. ( )
  evening | Apr 26, 2017 |
This is satire at its very best. I read it every other year. Laughing out loud every time. Not so many Nobel laureates are this funny. Böll is a master. And Wahlunds translation into Swedish is also a masterpiece. ( )
  Perpetual | Nov 15, 2016 |

Heinrich Böllprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wahlund, Per ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible