Beyond Words by John Humphrys

Beyond Words (edition 2007)

by John Humphrys

Member:bucketyell
Title:Beyond Words
Authors:John Humphrys
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2007), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:TBR 2012 & PRIOR

Beyond Words: How Language Reveals the Way We Live Now by John Humphrys

Once you start fidgeting about the way young people use the language, that's a clear sign you're getting old. While language would be able to offer an interesting perspective on the way we live now, John Humphreys is a bore and on every page he is the grumpy old man, complaining how the younger generation abuses the language. There are far mor interesting books than this one. I regret I bought these two books by Humphreys. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 3, 2011 |
It's hard for me to write a review of this, because I don't really remember much of it. This isn't the fault of the book though; for most of the time, this book was sitting on my bedside table, and in bed is just about the only place where I don't read.

What I do remember is thinking that there is a lot of truth in what John Humphrys has written here. He talks about the spin that politicians use instead of clear cut explanations of policies and plans. He talks about how certain words' meanings have changed over time, so that in many cases, they mean something totally different to what they used to mean.

I remember laughing at several times at the book and nodding along in agreement at several other times.

Based on my memories of reading this book, I would definitely read something else by John Humphrys. ( )
  Ruth72 | Aug 7, 2009 |

Following his bestselling 'Lost For Words', John Humphrys takes a provocative look at the hidden attitudes that lie behind so many English phrases and expressions.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,468,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible