The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical…

The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice for Beginning Poets (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Ted Kooser

Member:Motherofthree
Title:The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice for Beginning Poets
Authors:Ted Kooser
Info:Bison Books (2007), Paperback, 170 pages

The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice for Beginning Poets by Ted Kooser (2005)

Recently added byjennifersoule, blog_gal, private library, MayaTripsa, cmarie5200, Hardboiled, gyokusai, Rex_B

I found this book practical, realistic and worth the read. ( )
  Motherofthree | Dec 28, 2012 |
This is a lovely little book. I don't use it to exactly "work" on my poems but read to inform both my reading & writing. Koosier is clear and his examples pertinent and memorable. A nice to book to read for anyone interested in how language works. ( )
  EllieNYC | Jan 4, 2011 |
A very good no nonsense guide to writing poetry and revising poetry. He has a strong prejudice for accessible poetry and offers suggestions on how to write poetry that is accessible but still profound. Many of his metaphors and similies for the process of writing and editing make reading the book very enjoyable ( )
  snash | May 14, 2009 |
This is the poetry writing guide I wish I'd had as a creative writing student in college. Kooser offers nuts-and-bolts advice on everything from working with detail, to form, to metaphor, and he includes plenty of wonderful poems to illustrate what he's talking about. Very well done. ( )
  keely_chace | Jul 2, 2008 |
I love Kooser’s poetry - it’s so clear and understandable, as well as meaningful to me. So when I saw this book on a recommended list at poets.org I rushed out and bought it. Just like his poetry, his advice about writing poetry is clear and understandable. ( )
  samfsmith | May 8, 2008 |
Charles Levendosky,
poet and citizen
1936-2004
Before we get to the specifics of writing and revision, let me say a few things about the job you're taking on.

Recently appointed as the new U. S. Poet Laureate, Ted Kooser has been writing and publishing poetry for more than forty years. In the pages of The Poetry Home Repair Manual, Kooser brings those decades of experience to bear. Here are tools and insights, the instructions (and warnings against instructions) that poets—aspiring or practicing—can use to hone their craft, perhaps into art. Using examples from his own rich literary oeuvre and from the work of a number of successful contemporary poets, the author schools us in the critical relationship between poet and reader, which is fundamental to what Kooser believes is poetry’s ultimate purpose: to reach other people and touch their hearts.

Much more than a guidebook to writing and revising poems, this manual has all the comforts and merits of a long and enlightening conversation with a wise and patient old friend—a friend who is willing to share everything he’s learned about the art he’s spent a lifetime learning to execute so well.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:17 -0400)

"Much more than a guidebook to writing and revising poems, this manual has all the comforts and merits of a long and enlightening conversation with a wise and patient old friend - a friend who is willing to share everything he's learned about the art he's spent a lifetime learning to execute so well."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible