Harry by the Sea by Gene Zion

Harry by the Sea (1965)

by Gene Zion

Other authors: Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Series: Harry the Dog - Zion

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 13, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is a good book. I liked the plot of the story because it was cute. The conflict was that Harry was so hot and just wanted to cool off but no one would let him be near them/get shade. Then a big wave came and crashed right on Harry and he was covered with seaweed and everyone thought that he was a sea monster. It was just a funny plot for children to read.

I also like this book because I feel as though the illustrations enhance the story. For example, not all children may know what seaweed looks like so it is helpful to see what it looked like when Harry was covered in seaweed in case they couldn't picture it themselves.

I would say that the big idea of this book is really just to humor readers. It is just a cute and funny book for kids to enjoy. ( )
  cboswe2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
In my opinion this book is a cute and simple plot lined story that younger children will enjoy reading for fun. The illustrations really complimented the story. With the simple colors and shading, the illustrations matched the writing style of the story: easy flowing but fun. I think pictures with vivid bright colors and perfectly drawn characters would have complicated the book, losing the meaning of the story. Some of the pictures were sketched out on two pages as if characters were moving along the page. For example when Harry escapes the trash basket before the beach attendants can catch him, you see he "running" onto the other page while the attendants are watching as he does so. Little things like aids in the enjoyment of reading the book; like paying attention to detail. The simple rise and fall action of the plot is another attribute of the book I enjoyed. The plot intrigues the reader to want to keep turning the page to find out what happens to Harry without making it too complicated for the age level who's reading it. Same with the language; very clear but still engaging, which is good for the age level. Overall, I think the main idea behind this story is to create a simple depiction of a familiar character going on another adventure for children's reading pleasure. ( )
  dcrome1 | Sep 27, 2016 |
Harry by the Sea was such a fun story that teaches children that if they wander off, they may want to pay attention to their surrounding so they don't end up getting lost. I really enjoyed the book mostly because of the plot and because of the illustrations. If a child has ever gotten separated from their family in a store, they will understand how Harry feels when he goes to look for his family and all the beach umbrellas look exactly like his family's umbrella, so it's very relatable to children. The illustrations used a very unorthodox color scheme - a lot of orange and greens, instead of blues that you'd expect the water to be colored. I really liked that because it caught my attention immediately and made black and white Harry stand out in each page. ( )
  cmcdon13 | Sep 22, 2016 |
I liked this book because it teaches a very good lesson about getting lost. I really enjoyed the pictures because they all consisted of the same colors which is different than a lot of most books. For example, all of the pictures consisted of yellow green and orange colors. Even the water was a green color instead of blue. That was one of the first things I noticed and thought was very interesting and different. I also really liked the plot of the story. It flowed together very well and was relatable to anyone who has gotten lost before on the beach. For example, Harry tries to find his family by their umbrella and everyone at the beach has a green, white, and orange stripped umbrella so he's unable to find them. This could and most likely has happened to many kids before. The big idea of this book is to inform readers to pay more attention to their surroundings to prevent them from getting lost. ( )
  mlambe12 | Sep 21, 2016 |

Zion, Geneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything about the seashore, except...the hot sun.

Harry, a friendly little dog on a visit to the seashore, is mistaken for a sea serpent when a big wave covers him with seaweed. -Very few children can resist [the stories about] Harry. The ridiculous but somehow plausible situations capture even the most reluctant reader.’ —SLJ.

Chidlren's Books of 1965 (Library of Congress)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:59 -0400)

When a wave washes over a dog and covers him with seaweed, he is mistaken for a sea monster.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible