The Fifth Petal: A Novel by Brunonia Barry

The Fifth Petal: A Novel

by Brunonia Barry

24912046,085 (3.66)25

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading this book. The mystery takes place in modern day Salem where the author brings in elements of early Salem and the witch trials. The characters were well developed. I liked the mystery with the elements of witchcraft and singing bowls added. Even though this is the third book in this series, the author provided more than enough background information so I could easily understand the back story. I will definitely read the first two books. ( )
  jumbler | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Fifth Petal goes back to Salem, MA and stories of witches. It has some of the same characters from previous books by the author. It was nice to revisit the same people years later. In this book, there is a murder in present day Salem that has ties to murders from 1989. Callie was only 5 years old in 1989 and only has some memories from the time. Rose Whelan has never been the same since the 1989 murders and has long said it was not a human. The story is intriguing and there is a lot of mystery to it. I read the book in just a few days because it had a good pace. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Apr 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I picked this book because I like the setting -- modern day Salem, MA with the references to the Salem witch trials and just a touch of modern day witchcraft. And I loved The Lace Reader, which I read so long ago that I really only remember that it was a page turner that kept me glued to the book until the end. I wish I could have said the same for this book. The book starts out fast with a murder within the first few pages, but I never became emotionally attached to any of the characters, good or bad. And I actually figured out who the murderer was before the end. This NEVER happens for me -- I'm always the person who is totally surprised by any plot twist. Maybe this would be a light mystery that some could devour, but not for me this time. ( )
  jmoncton | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an amazing book. I really enjoyed the mystery element. I loved how the author tied it all together in the end. This was very well written and kept you interested/involved all the way through the book. I encourage everyone interested in mystery to ready it. Thank you to the author/publisher for allowing me a advance reader's edition. ( )
  mcgeerhonda | Apr 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was by far my favorite book in 2017 , so far. I usually live anything that has anything to do with witches but i havnt put this book down.. i read it in 4 days... 5 starts for sure ( )
  Low2dopeee | Apr 7, 2017 |
It will have blood, they say: blood will have blood.
Stones have been known to move, and trees to speak ...
William Shakespeare, Macbeth
For Gary
Isn't it a little late for praying?

3 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Fifth Petal by Brunonia Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible