The Fifth Petal: A Novel by Brunonia Barry

The Fifth Petal: A Novel

by Brunonia Barry

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I previously read The Lace Reader and I have to say I loved it. I was super excited to see that this author wrote a second book to continue the story. The subject of the Salem witch trials has always fascinated me and I love reading anything related to that topic and that time period. These stories take place in modern times but the people and events of the present are affected by the people and events of the past.

The discovery of a dead body may be related to another set of deaths. As the chief of police tries to get to the bottom of the current case, he goes back and digs through the cold case of the 1989 murders. The surviving little girl from that case has come back to town to find the loved one that she thought was dead.

The Fifth Petal is an intriguing story of murder and mystery, as well as being full of wonderful characters. The author does a great job of making the people in the story believable and interesting. I was totally absorbed in this story and hope that the author has more to come. ( )
  sschleicher | Mar 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In 1989, the same night as the 1692 hanging of women accused being witches in Salem, 5 year old Callie, sees something so horrible she can only relive it in her nightmares. This novel by Brunonia Barry goes back to Salem, which she first wrote about in The Lace Reader to weave a suspenseful story about Callie Cahill, survivor of the 1989 murders of her mother and other women known as the Goddesses. The now adult, Callie is drawn back to Salem because of another murder to find out the mother figure Rose Whelan is still alive, but traumatized yet again by the most recent murder which takes place in 2014. Rose is accused of being the murderer and Callie with the help of Detective Rafferty to discover who killed Callie's mother and to clear Rose's name.

Not having read the previous novel, The Lace Reader, did not hinder the reading of The Fifth Petal. The Fifth Petal stands on its own as a mystery and history of the Salem witch trials of 1692. Witches and being falsely accused is key to the novel's storyline. I found this novel to be a well plotted mystery with twists and a historical foundation on which Barry creates her characters. ( )
  Julie_Fey | Mar 23, 2017 |
I loved reading The Lace Reader by Barry and was so pleased when I discovered this newly released book. Salem history, the challenges of living with fear and discrimination and a bit of romance all help make this book an very enjoyable read. Witchcraft and the dark sciences are always topics to be explored and explained. This story was no exception, especially describing the singing bowls and the impact of their sound. I found the characters well developed and became interested in their intertwined lives. I would recommend this book and give it 4 stars. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the way the historical story was woven into the modern story. The characters were well developed and the story kept a good pace. I would read other books written by this author. ( )
  momweaver | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A murder mystery set in Salem Mass with lots of references to modern witchcraft and the Salem Witch Hunt. Entertaining enough as a beach read - the author definitely knows her local references. A bit too outre (sound healing, are banshees real?) but at the same time simplistic for me, but may appeal to some. The prose and writing style are very basic. ( )
  jlafleur | Mar 21, 2017 |
It will have blood, they say: blood will have blood.
Stones have been known to move, and trees to speak ...
William Shakespeare, Macbeth
For Gary
Isn't it a little late for praying?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

The Fifth Petal by Brunonia Barry is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible