dismiss

Frozen Charlotte (Red Eye) by Alex Bell

Frozen Charlotte (Red Eye) (original 2016; edition 2015)

by Alex Bell

Series: Frozen Charlotte (1)

The haunting starts even before Sophie arrives on the Isle of Skye to spend the summer with her cousins, but when she arrives she finds a house haunted by the ghost of a girl who attended school there a hundred years ago, as well as cousin Rebecca who died young and is never mentioned by her family--and she must somehow solve the mystery of the frozen Charlotte dolls before the whole family is destroyed.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:Frozen Charlotte (Red Eye)
Authors:Alex Bell
Info:Stripes Publishing (2015), Paperback, 352 pages

Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell (2016)

This is the first book that I have read from this author but it for sure won’t be my last. Very good creepy YA ghost story. I really enjoyed this one and I can’t wait to read more. ( )
  JessVillafane | Jun 10, 2020 |
Let it be known that I love horror/thrillers. Movies, though. I never read books of that genre, though it's not so much a conscious decision as it's just me focusing on other genres. This book kept catching my eye in the school library, so I finally picked it up in celebration of it finally being my favorite month (October).

I honestly have no complaints about this book. It hooked me immediately, it never dragged or felt drawn out, some scenes actually managed to creep me out (though I wouldn't call them scary), I enjoyed Sophie's character quite a lot, and the twisted relationships between the Craigs were fascinating. The descriptions of expressions and reactions were really spot on.

Sure, haunted dolls aren't really a new concept, but that didn't detract from the story, and there were plenty of other facets to the plot.

I genuinely enjoyed this read.

I suppose I'm only left with one question, and that is, "So what really happened to Jay?" We're led to believe that Rebecca's ghost was responsible for it for much of the book, but then Sophie realizes she's trying to shed light on her death and help the rest of her family. Does this mean she (Rebecca) killed Jay to get Sophie to come to the Craigs' house? Or was it just a coincidental accident? It doesn't make sense for it to be Piper or the Charlotte dolls. ( )
  Octjillery | May 5, 2020 |
4.5 stars.

This month I joined the Stripes publishing #redeyereadalong and I'm so glad I did! Just finished reading Frozen Charlotte. This novel is very good, definitely one to devour, that's the right word. A fast paced, exciting, and at times gruesome read.

Warning: if you have a fear of needles, dolls, knives, ghosts, freezing, drowning, burning to death, or falling of cliffs, I wouldn't pick this up!

I don't normally read horror, but this month I'm doing a Halloween type theme on my blog, with spooky books, poems, short stories, etc. https://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com.

Sometimes it's good to try new things!! I read Frozen Charlotte during the day, this wasn't bedtime reading for me.... That way I kept the nightmares at bay.

What did I like about it?

Lots and lots of things.

The little creepy poems in italics at the beginning of each chapter are awesome.

Such a clever idea to have a Ouija-board app, and to introduce the ghost of Rebecca that way.

The prologue sets the tone for sinister goings on engaging the reader right from the very start.

Then you have the Frozen Charlotte dolls themselves, there is nothing nice about these dolls and it makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would have them in their house! Or wear them as a necklace! That's asking for trouble! That's the Scots for you, I'm not slating the Scots, I'm half Scottish, we may be a bit dour at times but we like to live dangerously!!

The characters all so well crafted. The main protagonist, Sophie, I definitely have a soft spot for her. She's so brave, it is almost suicidal! With one scary thing happening after another, she turns out to be quite the heroine. Respect! If it was me I'd be out of there lightning quick! But Sophie thinks of others before herself. Sophie feels particularly protective towards her youngest cousin Lilias, who has a horrendous fear of bones, knives have to be hidden, so she doesn't cut herself, and when I say cut I really mean cut.

Jay sounds such a cute guy, a best friend who could possibly have been a love interest if his young life hadn't been cut down right at the start.

Piper's another favourite of mine! She starts off all sweetness, preparing food and seeming to be the perfect hostess welcoming her cousin to Scotland. But is Piper as sweet as she seems or is this all an act? You'll have to read Frozen Charlotte to find out!

And Cameron appears to be a bit distant, and unwelcoming to Sophie when she arrives, intriguing the reader some more.

In my opinion Frozen Charlotte starts of well but becomes more and more engaging, spooky and gruesome with each passing page...

The book ends with an epilogue, a final tease. This is one of the main strengths of this novel it teases and plays with the reader's emotions offering apparent sweetness on one hand, and dire creepiness on the other.

My recommendation: Go read this!!! Highly recommended. ( )
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
This was surprisingly enjoyable!! It's like a better-written Fear Street book and it took me back to reading all those scary paperbacks when I was a kid. It didn't skimp on the evil or the gore, the ghost story was actually more layered than I expected and the writing was fluid and engaging. It was fast-paced but that lent itself to the story and the MC/narrator was likable and surprisingly logical for a teen in a horror story. Definitely recommend for people who like quick, good scary reads. ( )
  ElleGato | Sep 24, 2018 |
This had the potential to be truly creepy, but it just threw everything out there, which didn't allow for any suspense to build. There's also a lot of inconsistency in the character of Rebecca, who is by turns evil and menacing or scared and sweet and helpful. In fact, all of the characters have personalities that change when it's convenient to the plot for them to do so. There is no subtlety to this novel at all—it just throws everything on the page which, for me, doesn't work in a ghost story with creepy dolls. I want subtlety and menace and building dread and didn't find it here. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Information from the Piratical Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
The girls were playing with the Frozen Charlotte dolls again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,853,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible