The Poet's Dog by Patricia MacLachlan

The Poet's Dog

by Patricia MacLachlan

Trapped in a bitter blizzard, two children, Flora and Nickel, are led to a safe, warm cabin by a dog named Teddy who speaks in a language they immediately understand. They find food and firewood to make a fire and share life stories while they plan how they can get word to the childrens' mother. Teddy knows instinctively how to rescue them, just like he was rescued by a man who was a poet and gave him the gift of words. Written in Newbery award-winning author Patricia MacLauchlan’s characteristic concise, spare word style, this poignant story of love and loss will touch everyone’s heart, but especially pet lovers of all ages.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I enjoyed this little book very much, although I did have a couple of issues with it. The tone seems a bit uneven (it starts off being somber and borderline dark and then ends much more popsicle-like), and I also think it would be better as a full-length novel - there's much more that could be explored and fleshed out in the story. So, not MacLachlan's best, but still worth a read. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 21, 2017 |
This is a special one, indeed. A mystical, magical sweet little book about children lost in a snow storm and the journey to find meaning in life. The story's narrator is the dog who was beloved by a poet who is deceased. The dog and the children are searching for something. A lovely story that gives a sense of hopefulness about the connections forged between people and between people and dogs. ( )
  Suedarc | Aug 8, 2017 |
I haven’t read a book by Maclachlan in many years. I recall reading Sarah, Plain and Tall early on in school. I remember enjoying it, but not much other than that. The Poet’s Dog was a great way to rediscover this author. I feel that reading it as an adult maybe even have given me a better appreciation for the story.

What I enjoyed most about this book was that it’s told from a dog’s perspective. Specifically a dog’s first person point of view. I don’t think it’d have been as effective any other way. That includes if it were in the third person. There’s was a certain charm and insight given because of how this book was written.

This was also a very emotional book, especially for one written with a young audience in mind. Despite this, I feel that most children can handle the happy and sad tones within the pages. Some readers, of any age, maybe need a box of tissues, though. Despite it being a quick read, it packs a punch. Be ready for that. This is definitely not a book to pass up. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Jul 1, 2017 |
Minimalist and sweet. Dreamy and realistic. I enjoyed taking my time with this quicker novel. ( )
  libheroine | Jun 5, 2017 |
Dogs speak words
But only poets
And children
Hear
- P. M.
This book is for Emily With Love, P.M.
I found the boy at dusk.

From Newbery Medal winner Patricia MacLachlan comes a poignant story about two children, a poet, and a dog and how they help one another survive loss and recapture love.

Teddy is a gifted dog. Raised in a cabin by a poet named Sylvan, he grew up listening to sonnets read aloud and the comforting clicking of a keyboard. Although Teddy understands words, Sylvan always told him there are only two kinds of people in the world who can hear Teddy speak: poets and children.

Then one day Teddy learns that Sylvan was right. When Teddy finds Nickel and Flora trapped in a snowstorm, he tells them that he will bring them home—and they understand him. The children are afraid of the howling wind, but not of Teddy’s words. They follow him to a cabin in the woods, where the dog used to live with Sylvan . . . only now his owner is gone.

As they hole up in the cabin for shelter, Teddy is flooded with memories of Sylvan. What will Teddy do when his new friends go home? Can they help one another find what they have lost?

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 15 Jul 2016 09:34:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,628,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible