The Adventures of Tom Stranger,…

The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (2016)

by Larry Correia

Have you ever seen a planet invaded by rampaging space mutants from another dimension or Nazi dinosaurs from the future? Don't let this happen to you Rifts happen, so you should be ready when universes collide. A policy with Stranger & Stranger can cover all of your interdimensional insurance needs. Rated "Number One in Customer Satisfaction" for three years running, no claim is too big or too weird for Tom Stranger to handle. But now Tom faces his greatest challenge yet. Despite being assigned the wrong--and woefully inadequate--intern, Tom must still provide quality customer service to multiple alternate Earths, all while battling tentacle monsters, legions of the damned, an evil call center in Nebraska, and his archnemesis, Jeff Conundrum. Armed with his Combat Wombat and a sense of fair play, can Tom survive? And will Jimmy the Intern ever discover his inner insurance agent? It's time to kick ass and adjust claims. Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck) performs Larry Correia's madcap interdimensional tale of underwriting and space travel, where the only thing scarier than tentacle monsters is a high deductible.… (more)

This is the first book in the Tom Stranger series. I got this for free as an Audible Original. I was a huge fan of Correia’s MHI series and was excited to see what this was all about. This is a very short read but I loved it. There were so many crazy fantasy/sci-fi references throughout and it was hilariously ridiculous at parts (in a good way).

I listened to this on audiobook and it was amazing. Just absolutely perfectly read by Baldwin. This is one of those stories that is going to be better on audiobook than in paper format.

The world as we know it is about to end but no worries Earth has been insured by Tom Stranger Interdimensional Insurance. Wait maybe it isn’t the world as we know it but just one of the many parallel Earth’s that exist? While Tom is incredibly capable he may find his upcoming trials...well...trying. He’s been harnessed with an incompetent intern and then there is this absolutely evil call center in Nebraska...

This book was non-stop hilarious from cover to cover. There are so many geek culture references, flat out non-politically correct opinions, and just general corporate inanity that I couldn’t stop giggling as I listened to it...at work...where my co-workers probably thought I was going loony.

The whole thing is so hilariously ludicrous I wanted to immediately listen to it again. There are so many inside jokes from other pop culture references not to mention numerous references to other fantasy and sci-fi tropes that I am sure I missed some of them the first time around. Definitely listening to this again soon.

While I have never completely agreed with Correia’s politics; I do love the no holds barred attitude, sarcasm, and the extreme about of action. There is a bit of politics and Obama bashing right of the end of the story. But, everyone kind of gets equally bashed around in this book so, don’t take is personally.

Overall I loved this and plan on getting the 2nd book in the Tom Stranger series as well. It’s a pity it’s so short, but every minute of it was worth it...just so much fun. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 26, 2019 |
The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent by Larry Correia and narrated by Adam Baldwin is a corny but funny short audible book. Tom Stranger is a insurance agent you definitely want to have. Some how he ends up with a new partner afraid of his shadow. Meanwhile chaos and mayhem continues on many dimensions. It is silly, snarky, and funny. Adam Baldwin does a great job and is featured in the story, ummmm, how did that happen? Stranger things have happened! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jul 7, 2019 |
You ever lose your TV remote? Sucks, doesn't it? Imagine that TV also happened to stop on Fox News channel too. You would get pretty angry as well, huh?

Clearly that is exactly the series of events that lead to this epic failure.

I don't disagree with some of the politics that Mr. Correia espoused [shoved] in this story, and I can see that he's blowing off steam at his perception of the state of American politics. Some of it could be funny. The part that made this story so incredibly tacky is a simplification and condescension of some current and complex political & social sticking points.

The Occupy Wall Street movement portions of this book show a Fox News level of understanding of the events that happened. The irony of their occupation and non-statement flew right over Mr. Correia's head, so he grasped onto anything that would make it make sense to him... hence the TV channel stuck on Fox News... and hence making him becoming angry since that's Fox's preferred mode of communication.

Further, Mr. Correia's personification of the American health care system as some insurance salesmen-cum-superheroes is so har-har jokey that it drips with tackiness. He, in the 2 hours it took to listen, consistently, and with maximum condescension, diminishes the struggle that an American has with our healthcare systems. Personally, I was a victim in a car accident, and lost a lot during the recession (my job, my healthcare, my house, nearly $1 million in car accident hospital bills). Mr. Correia displayed epic levels of righteousness, almost like he's flaunting his personal lack of adversity in the face of his fans and listeners. As if he deserves better treatment than I do, since he hasn't suffered personal trauma on the level that takes years of physical and financial recovery.

I wish I never heard of this book. I was really enjoying some of Mr Correia's books, and I hope I can again. Now, I can't think of his work separate from his asinine level of entitlement.

1 extra star for the amazingly good narration. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
Quite silly but a fun novella to while away a summer day. Adam Baldwin does a great narration especially Jimmy the intern. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 16, 2017 |
Tom Stranger is a top-rated insurance agent who offers policies across alternate dimensions/*, and in this fast-paced and furiously funny novella, travels to alternate Earths to settle claims. Alternate worlds with their one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eaters and other assorted transgressors cross rifts, inflict damage, and create chaos on each other; so it is good to know that a man dedicated to customer satisfaction is on the job!

Larry Correia, renowned as the author of the Monster Hunter series and Grimnoir Chronicles, is also infamous as the founder of the Sad Puppies campaign which sought to influence the Hugo nominations toward his and Brad R. Torgerson’s works – which Correia felt were not fairly recognized in favor of more progressive or politically correct titles. This is worth mentioning here only because Corriea makes it clear he views liberal polices and persons as inferior and weak, making stabs at both in this short piece: Joe Biden is portrayed as a drunken clown; Obama is dissed for golfing; ACA “makes no sense;” and Tom Stranger’s intern, an inept young man is skewered for having a Gender Studies degree, for having been an Occupier, and having Twitter skills… The humor is biting, sharp and refreshing; but there is a pettiness and meanness to it too which detracts from the whole.

Listeners cannot afford to be distracted for even a beat lest they miss a great comic line delivered by Adam Baldwin (the American actor & narrator, not the POTUS – which is is on some alternate Earth.) Baldwin does a great job in setting a blistering pace and keeping the energy levels up throughout the piece. 'The Adventures of Tom Stranger' is packed with references to US pop culture icons and ideas: Chuck Norris is, well Chuck Norris, but this time an arbitrator; R. Lee Emery is a Secretary of Defense; and Larry Correia himself is a head of a high-tech conglomerate when he’s not an author suffering the fate of comic-cons… Baldwin’s character voices are distinct; and his celebrity impersonations of R. Lee Emery and Barrack Obama in particular are strong. Baldwin is also to be commended for vocalizing a manatee as a character (Though oddly, it sounds like a whale calls and not a manatee, but whatever.)

'The Adventures of Tom Stranger' is like a blast of cold winter air on your face: refreshing, but at the same time a little biting.

/* The alternate dimensions concept is predicated on Stephen Hawking’s “Many-Worlds” interpretation wherein “all possible alternate histories and futures are real,” each alternate world born of the moment any decision is made in any of the realities, thereby creating millions of possible other worlds.
Wikipedia, Many-Worlds interpretation, Accessed March 8, 2017 ( )
1 vote Tanya-dogearedcopy | Mar 16, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible