The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A…

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living… (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Mark Manson (Author)

"In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people. For decades, we've been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let's be honest, shit is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Mason doesn't sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is--a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let's-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up. Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited--"not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek. There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives"--… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Authors:Mark Manson (Author)
Info:Harper (2016), Edition: 2nd Edition, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read in 2019

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson (Author) (2016)

Recently added byBoekenworm5, zierli, silvavaldivia, private library, c_doherty, Squires29, PhonyGal, ThisTornImage, Raewhitt
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (55)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
A rather humorous look at life albeit not with any profound thoughts or life-altering substance. Basically, this book tells how to deal with problems by really not caring a great deal. While in some areas, such as things that are out of my control, this is probably good advice, it falls short as "self-help". There were a few good moments in there that made me think a bit, thus earning it an extra star, but overall, a seemingly comical take on the storms of life by just dropping the F-bomb a lot. ( )
  Tim.Roberson | Oct 9, 2019 |
Nothing extraordinary.

It's just like other self-help book but with the added emphasis of not giving a f*ck about small and mundane stuff but actually giving more f about your personal life. Author also likes to talk about himself. There is no real statistics or research to back up whatever was mentioned.

After reading, I still do not know much tips on how not to give a f*ck.

There is a book with a similar title called 'The Life Changing Magic of not giving a f*ck'. Though that book is shorter, I feel that the tips offered is more applicable (easier to remember and apply) than this book. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |
Dnf the audiobook. While I probably have a lower tolerance than most people when it comes to using the word F@#$, I don't generally have a problem when it is being used in movies and books.
However, when the use of the word and in this case actually the phrase "don't give a f@#$" is used that often, that you actually only counting the number of times it can be said in one minute than actually focusing on the contest, than in my humble opinion it is used once too much.
After just listening for a couple of minutes I just couldn't bear it.
When reading it, you might be able to over see it and actually focus on the content, but as an audiobook this isn't an option. ( )
  CK31 | Sep 22, 2019 |
I’m torn. This book had lots of fresh perspective, plus reminders of points I know intellectually but hadn’t considered in quite such poignant ways. There really are benefits to deciding what matters and what doesn’t and then caring only about the former. And there’s a practice we have to develop to make this happen, effectively, as habit. At the same time, the novelty of f*ck wore off before the first chapter was done. Combined with the constant use of what was more sarcasm than humor, this was a hard book to finish. I did finish, because the content was useful. It’s just not a style I prefer. ( )
  jpsnow | Aug 11, 2019 |
As I started to read this book, it reminded me a lot of Sarah Knight's "The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do," which came out two years ago. Therefore, I did not give a fuck about finishing it.
1 vote alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |

Manson, MarkAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, a generation-defining self-help guide, written by a blogger who is read by more than 2 million people each month, helps readers figure out the things that they should care about to lead contented, grounded lives." - NoveList Plus

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,553,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible