The Paris Secret by Karen Swan

The Paris Secret (2017)

by Karen Swan

An enjoyable summer read, but so predictable! Of course the Paris apartment shattered for 70 years with instructions that it not be opened until the owners are dead is full of Nazi plunder; of course the classy art dealer goes for the bad boy; of course the disgraced family is redeemed. The way the author gets us to these results is really fun, with several very clever twists, but it's more process than mystery. ( )
  shearon | Jun 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.*

A mysterious Paris apartment locked up since WWII containing a bunch of artwork is a great start to this novel, which delves into the a family's history and the secrets long thought buried. This book is fun reading, especially for those with a interest in WWII, even though the book is primarily set in contemporary France. The author does a good job of only slowly uncovering the layers of secrets held in the abandoned apartment - with just the right amount of romance thrown in. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 7, 2018 |
This book had everything I enjoy in a book, strong female character, art, descriptions of life in Europe, a love interest, and a mystery. I couldn't wait to read this book each evening!! This was a Goodreads giveaway that I won and am so glad I found this book! It really was the perfect match for me! ( )
  clp412 | Dec 26, 2017 |
To be reviewed over at Fresh Fiction! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I have to admit that if a book has the word PARIS in the title, I am going to read it. Sometimes I get a good book and sometimes not. This time I was thrilled because this is a fantastic book. I have never read anything else by Karen Swan but I plan to read her previous books. This book had all of the hallmarks of a fantastic book
- wonderful settings - not just Paris but also Vienna, England and the south of France
- interesting characters - the main character Flora as well as all of the supporting characters. I especially enjoyed Flora's best friend Ines.
- romance - an interesting relationship between Flora and Xavier
- mystery - how and why were all of those paintings hidden in an apartment in Paris for over 50 years.

Flora is a high powered fine art agent and is thrilled to be asked to look at a recently discovered abandoned apartment in Paris. Underneath all of the dust and debris and hundreds of paintings and sculptures, Flora found a missing Renoir that had been lost for years. While trying to trace the painting's past purchasers, she found out information that could ruin the lives of the glamorous heirs of the apartment. What she does with that information makes this a thrilling and interesting book.

This book is so much fun to read. It's full of the beauty of Paris, the beautiful clothes and a whole group of very interesting characters. Parts of the book take place during WWII but the main focus is on the modern day mystery of the Renoir painting.

I found this a book that was impossible to put down once I started reading it. Thanks to the publisher for a copy to read and review. ( )
1 vote susan0316 | Nov 28, 2017 |

In this glittering tale of forgotten treasures and long-held secrets, international bestseller Karen Swan explores one womans journey to discovering the truth behind an abandoned apartment and a family whose mysteries may be better left undiscovered. When fine art agent Flora Sykes is called in to assess objets d'art in a Paris apartment that has been abandoned since WWII, she is skeptical-- until she discovers that the treasure trove of paintings is myriad, and priceless. The powerful Vermeil family to whom they belong asks Flora to trace the history of each painting. As she researches the provenance of their prize Renoir, she uncovers a scandal surrounding the painting-- and a secret that goes to the very heart of the family. Xavier Vermeil is determined to separate Flora from his family's affairs in spite of their powerful attraction to one another. What secrets is he trying to hide? And what price is Flora willing to pay to uncover the truth?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Karen Swan's book The Paris Secret is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,978,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible