Wildfire! by Elizabeth Starr Hill

Summary: Living with his great grandmother is rural Florida, ten-year-old Ben looks forward to the Fourth of July celebrations, but the day becomes complicated by the presence of a new neighbor boy, a stray puppy, and local wildfires.

Personal reaction: This was a good book for young children who can relate to the modern dilemmas of peer-acceptance and pressure. I feel the novel accurately depicted childhood motivations with the desire to be "included". If I were to have a child, I would encourage them to read this book as a medium for life lessons, rather than a casual read.

Classroom extension: I would encourage my students to engage in open dialogue about how we try to impress our friends to be accepted. What is the right and wrong way to impress someone? ( )
  Ali.Simon | Dec 12, 2016 |

A rivalry, a rescue

Big-mouth Elliott, who has recently arrived from a city up north, considers Ben a "backwoods boy" and looks down his nose at folks in their rural Florida town. To make matters worse, Elliott is the one who gets the dog that Ben's neighbor puts up for adoption -- the one Ben had his heart set on. In spite of being jealous and resentful, Ben can't stop himself from trying to win Elliott's approval, and he does something very stupid, very dangerous, on a bone-dry Fourth of July evening, when fireworks have been banned because of the fire risk.

Illustrated with vivid wash-and-line drawings, this dramatic small-town story builds to a gripping conclusion as a boy races against time to make up for his own big mistake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:11 -0400)

Living with his great-grandmother in rural Florida, ten-year-old Ben looks forward to the Fourth of July celebrations, but the day becomes complicated by the presence of a new neighbor boy, a stray puppy, and local wildfires.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,704,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible