Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist

Love and First Sight

by Josh Sundquist

I am super impressed with this book, and TBH I wish I had read it sooner! I love the honest perspective we get from Will...a realistic view of what it is like for someone born blind. I had never thought in depth about what it might be like for someone like Will when being described something he had nothing to refer to in order to decipher or picture what's being described.

I really loved this book...it was funny and completely relatable in a sense that even if you couldn't relate to Will's blindness, you could relate to the way he feels about others, himself and his future.

#punkrocklibrarian #overdrive #audiobook #syncYA ( )
  KWadyko | Jun 15, 2018 |
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
When I started reading this book I was unsure of whether I liked it or not. But as I continued to read, I began liking it more and more to the point where I didn't want to put it down. Will's journey was fascinating and it was easy to see the author had done his research on the matter which I don't want to spoil. Such an interesting perspective that many people take for granted all around the world. I also really enjoyed Will's friendships, especially his relationship with Cecily. While I wasn't 100% blown away, I really did enjoy the message surrounding Will's journey. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I loved reading about Will and his friends. I am glad he was able to have the surgery and get his eyesight. I am slo glad he was able to be with Cecily.

I think fans of John Green would enjoy this book. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Dec 19, 2017 |
Teenage Will was born blind, but decides to attend mainstream high school instead of the school for the blind he's gone to all his life. His first few days are not without mishaps, but he soon finds a group of friends, settles in to his classes, and begins to develop a crush on a girl named Cecily. When an experimental surgery offers the possibility of eyesight, Will is excited to see everything -- especially Cecily's face. But there's something that Cecily hasn't told him...

While reading this, I enjoyed it very much, but looking back, there are a few details that don't work as well as they could. The character development could be stronger, and the last part of the book feels rushed. I was fascinated by the descriptions of Will's initial experiences after the surgery; I just wish that other aspects of the book were as convincingly described. I'd recommend this, guardedly, because I did enjoy it and I thought parts of the book were very good. So, if you are intrigued by the description, give it a try -- especially if you've enjoyed Sundquist's earlier memoirs. ( )
  foggidawn | Sep 21, 2017 |
There were a number of things I liked about this book, but there were others that I didn't like. Will was an interesting character, and I enjoyed seeing the world through his 'eyes' especially once he had his operation to restore his sight and he had to learn about colours, shapes, perspectives, etc. I found that fascinating! I also liked his group of friends who were the nerdy misfits, and his journalism teacher, Mrs Everbrook, who treated Will as just another student. I also loved Cecily's explanations of what she was seeing to Will and I liked how the author finished the book, even though the last quarter felt rushed.

However, what really grated was the romance between Will and Cecily. It was never believable; they felt more like good friends than anything else. Will's mother annoyed me the way she treated him as a child with her overprotectiveness and I though that Cecily and Will's other friends were poorly developed. The quick road trip in the final quarter of the book was also an unnecessary inclusion.

Overall, a nice but average read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 25, 2017 |

In his debut novel, YouTube personality and author of We Should Hang Out Sometime Josh Sundquist explores the nature of love, trust, and romantic attraction.

On his first day at a new school, blind sixteen-year-old Will Porter accidentally groped a girl on the stairs, sat on another student in the cafeteria, and somehow drove a classmate to tears. High school can only go up from here, right?

As Will starts to find his footing, he develops a crush on a charming, quiet girl named Cecily. Then an unprecedented opportunity arises: an experimental surgery that could give Will eyesight for the first time in his life. But learning to see is more difficult than Will ever imagined, and he soon discovers that the sighted world has been keeping secrets. It turns out Cecily doesn't meet traditional definitions of beauty--in fact, everything he'd heard about her appearance was a lie engineered by their so-called friends to get the two of them together. Does it matter what Cecily looks like? No, not really. But then why does Will feel so betrayed?

Told with humor and breathtaking poignancy, Love and First Sight is a story about how we related to each other and the world around us.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 15 May 2016 09:43:51 -0400)

"Sixteen-year-old blind teen Will Porter undergoes an experimental surgery that enables him to see for the first time, all while navigating a new school, new friends, and a crush"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,147,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible