The Story of Stone by N. M. Browne

The Story of Stone

by N. M. Browne

A random pick at the library -- it just caught my eye and I thought, well, why not? I didn't know that N.M. Browne also wrote The Warriors of Alavna, which I remember owning as a teen and never getting into. I'm glad I didn't know that; it might have kept me from a good read. The Story of Stone is a one-shot fantasy story, so far as I can tell, and certainly the story was complete in itself. It has three narrative threads which slowly weave together. There was a lot I appreciated about it: a disabled protagonist (she has fits), some commentary on gender roles (she chooses to be a "non-woman" for freedom), a male character caring deeply for children (who are not even his own), a woman who cares for her children and is also a fierce fighter in battle. There are several strong female characters and they all have different roles and strengths.

The plot itself I found... somewhat predictable, in that I saw where it was going from the minute certain things were learnt by one of the protagonists, but I enjoyed the journey there anyway. There were some interesting moral ambiguities and a lot of things I'd like to have seen more development of, but I enjoyed it. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Nela's father is a Findsman, seeking clues to unlock the mysteries of the past. He hears of an eerie place by the side of a lake which could hold the answers he is looking for. Taking Nela and a small group of men, they discover nothing but an unusual stone, but when Nela touches the stone a connection is forged which reveals glimpses of an incredible and disturbing story of a life many many years before. A story of jealousy, power and love, which Nela begins to realise is disturbingly linked to her own. Utterly gripping and incredibly imagined, N. M. Browne has created the most spellbinding world in a mix of myth, fable and fantasy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:21 -0400)

While researching her society's origins, Nela--an apprentice archaeologist--discovers a mysterious stone that reveals to her the true story of how her Bear-man and Night Hunter ancestors were united by a terrible magic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible