Hold the Flag High by Catherine Clinton

Hold the Flag High (edition 2005)

by Catherine Clinton, Shane W. Evans (Illustrator)

Member:BrennonJ
Title:Hold the Flag High
Authors:Catherine Clinton
Other authors:Shane W. Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:54th Massachusetts, William H. Carey, Robert Gould Shaw, Fort Wagner, Medal of Honor

Hold the Flag High by Catherine Clinton

I recommend this book for classrooms. It tells the story of an African American Regiment that fought in the Civil War. This book could be used for research or to help teach about the civil war. The pictures in the book are also very nicely drawn. ( )
  malindahodgson | Sep 6, 2013 |
Well written book for young readers. Tells a story of the first black union regiment during the Civil War and the first black soldier to receive the Medal of Honor. Illustrated to depict the humanity of the story without concentrating on the ugliness of the battlefield appropriate for young readers. ( )
  BrennonJ | Jan 17, 2013 |
I like this book because it is nonfiction and takes place in one of my favorite time periods, the Civil War. I believe that young boys and girls interested in history would find this book appealing. Young African Americans might make more of a connection to this book than Caucasian students but it is relevant to all groups none-the-less. ( )
  kirby.kirschmann | Sep 4, 2012 |
This is a nonfiction book about the Civil War with a focus on the African-American soldiers. Ned, the main character, is the drummer for the Americans. The book confronts Ned's fears and apprehensions of the war. Sergeant Carney acts as a mentor to Ned. In the end Sergeant Carney is hit by a bullet, but he never let the flag touch the ground. It surprises me a little that this is a K-3 interest level book. I feel like it should be a little older. I think introducing kindergarten students to the Civil War is fantastic but I don't see them really grasping all of the emotions that are within this book. However, I do believe this is a great book to help introduce some basics of the Civil War. I would probably like to read this book after giving students a little introduction of what the Civil War was about. I think a story like this would help students realize the reality of the war and slavery because it is coming from a more personal perspective than a history book. ( )
  amoore1 | Sep 3, 2012 |
The flag was still there. This book talks about how a soldier put his life at stake to hold the flag and make sure it never touched the ground. This shows that at this time, people had such pride in their nation that they would sacrifice their lives to protect the American flag--a symbol for freedom and justice. I think this book would also be good to share with kids to show them that today, we tend to take our freedom for granted, and we don't take pride in our nation the way our forefathers did. ( )
  ckarmstr1 | Nov 22, 2011 |

In July 1863, a significantbattle in the Civil War was fought. Sergeant William H. Carney, an officer of the newly formed Massachusetts Fifty-fourth Regiment -- comprised entirely of African Americans -- led his soldiers over the ramparts of Fort Wagner, where Union soldiers charged the Confederates. As the soldiers fought, they gained strength from the stars and stripes of the American flag, Old Glory. It was Carney's vow to never let Old Glory touch the ground, and despite several gunshot wounds, he was able to rescue the flag from the fallen bearer. Carney held the flag high as a symbol that his regiment would never submit to the Confederacy. The battle of Fort Wagner decimated the Fifty-fourth Regiment, but Carney's heroism that night inspired all who survived.

Catherine Clinton's historically precise text paired with Shane Evans's rich illustrations creates a remarkable account of one of the most memorable battles in Civil War history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:55 -0400)

Describes the Civil War battle of Morris Island, South Carolina, during which Sargeant William H. Carney became the first African American to earn a Congressional Medal of Honor by preserving the flag.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible