Hold the Flag High by Catherine Clinton

Hold the Flag High (edition 2005)

by Catherine Clinton, Shane W. Evans (Illustrator)

Member:BrennonJ
Title:Hold the Flag High
Authors:Catherine Clinton
Other authors:Shane W. Evans (Illustrator)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:54th Massachusetts, William H. Carey, Robert Gould Shaw, Fort Wagner, Medal of Honor

Hold the Flag High by Catherine Clinton

Hold the Flag High is a historically written biography about sergeant William Carney, a young African American officer in the Massachusetts Fifty-fourth, a new African American regiment formed in the spring of 1863. During their first battle, Carnet was wounded. The battle was tight and the north ended up losing it. But it was that moment, Sergeant William Carneys bravery, that led the north to ultimately win the war. I enjoyed reading this book and have learned a lot about who William Carney was and what the first war was. I hear so much about people like Martin Luther King, and Frederick Douglas who fought for civil rights but I have not heard about this one. I would definitely read this to my classroom and introduce them to how the war first started. The illustrations in the book were also really good. ( )
  Diana_94 | Apr 20, 2016 |
I recommend this book for classrooms. It tells the story of an African American Regiment that fought in the Civil War. This book could be used for research or to help teach about the civil war. The pictures in the book are also very nicely drawn. ( )
  malindahodgson | Sep 6, 2013 |
I I feel as though a classroom of middle aged adolescents, perhaps in the fifth or sixth grade would benefit most from the reading of this book. I feel as though children specifically from an African-American background might enjoy this book as it is a point of pride in their heritage. The book brings to life the point in history where the idea of equality was finally applied to partitions of the army.

I personally thought this book might be in the wrong format for the intended audience. The story seems to be geared towards a preteen audience, however, this audience is probably at the point where they might see themselves as "above" large picture books. The story line shifts quite a bit with different characters dialogue which might confuse or distract a younger audience. The violent events foretold in this book also might be too graphic for a younger audience. ( )
  SydneyParton | Sep 2, 2013 |
Well written book for young readers. Tells a story of the first black union regiment during the Civil War and the first black soldier to receive the Medal of Honor. Illustrated to depict the humanity of the story without concentrating on the ugliness of the battlefield appropriate for young readers. ( )
  BrennonJ | Jan 17, 2013 |
I like this book because it is nonfiction and takes place in one of my favorite time periods, the Civil War. I believe that young boys and girls interested in history would find this book appealing. Young African Americans might make more of a connection to this book than Caucasian students but it is relevant to all groups none-the-less. ( )
  kirby.kirschmann | Sep 4, 2012 |

Catherine Clintonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, Shane W.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In July 1863, a significantbattle in the Civil War was fought. Sergeant William H. Carney, an officer of the newly formed Massachusetts Fifty-fourth Regiment -- comprised entirely of African Americans -- led his soldiers over the ramparts of Fort Wagner, where Union soldiers charged the Confederates. As the soldiers fought, they gained strength from the stars and stripes of the American flag, Old Glory. It was Carney's vow to never let Old Glory touch the ground, and despite several gunshot wounds, he was able to rescue the flag from the fallen bearer. Carney held the flag high as a symbol that his regiment would never submit to the Confederacy. The battle of Fort Wagner decimated the Fifty-fourth Regiment, but Carney's heroism that night inspired all who survived.

Catherine Clinton's historically precise text paired with Shane Evans's rich illustrations creates a remarkable account of one of the most memorable battles in Civil War history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Describes the Civil War battle of Morris Island, South Carolina, during which Sargeant William H. Carney became the first African American to earn a Congressional Medal of Honor by preserving the flag.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible