The Illustrator's Notebook by Mohieddine…

The Illustrator's Notebook

by Mohieddine Ellabbad

Gorgeous. Illuminating. I'm not an artist, but reading ME's thoughts and seeing the images he created to support them, I do feel more enlightened. Everybody should read it - those who are creative, those who aren't, children, adults, people who like fantasy, people who like memoirs, people who read Arabic, people who read English.... I 'read' this three times and now it's way overdue at the library. I can't wait to discuss it in the Children's Books group here on GR. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Celebrated Egyptian artist and children's book author Mohieddine Ellabbad makes his English-language debut with The Illustrator's Notebook, and all I can say is - it's about time! Keeping the original Arabic edition completely intact, this new translation from Canadian publisher Groundwood Books presents each page as it was initially laid out, with both artwork and Arabic text, while the English text appears in the side margins. It also preserves the reading structure of the original, with the pages going from right to left, rather than left to right, and the back cover (or what is traditionally the back cover, in English-language books) being the front.

Within these pages Ellabbad presents images - postcards, photographs, drawings - and reflections upon these images, exploring everything from the importance of memory, in shaping who we are, to the influence that the way we read - right-to-left, as with Arabic, or left-to-right, as with western languages - has upon our appreciation of art. Here are memories of his childhood and youth, of the joy that he and siblings took in the publication of their favorite magazines and books; and here are works of art, from paintings to calligraphy, that inspired him in his own journey as an artist. Part autobiography, part artistic education, this unique picture-book is informative and engaging, and had me thinking of things, and more importantly, looking at them from a different perspective. It's my first children's book from Egypt, but given how thoughtful its text, and how beautiful its multi-media artwork, I hope it will not be my last! We need more translated literature, both adult and children's, to teach us how alike and how different we are. Highly recommended to all young would-be artists, and to any reader curious about children's books from other parts of the world. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 23, 2013 |
This book immediately demands its reader to consider a difference perspective, as it is intended to be read from right to left. Each page integrates a brief parable with beautiful, original collages of calligraphy and illustration, watercolors, engravings, post cards, and photographs. Read one a day for inspiration and guidance. ( )
  manich01 | Jul 17, 2012 |

Through simple words and gorgeous images, Mohieddin Ellabbad reflects on his childhood and on the cultural influences that led him to become one of Egypt’s finest illustrators. Using his own creative awakening as an example, he encourages young artists to find inspiration in the world around them, through the most ordinary sources: everyday objects, favorite books and magazines, even through explorations of their own feelings. Pages from Ellabbad’s exquisitely illustrated notebooks are reproduced in their entirety, offering readers of all ages rare insight into the history and traditions of Arabic literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:47 -0400)

Intended by Mohieddine Ellabbad as a way to explore different ways of seeing things through illustration, learn about how Arabic writing is an integral part of the image in the Arabic pictorial tradition. Reads right-to-left as the original Egyptian version, and includes all of the original Arabic calligraphy, with English translations in the margins.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,130,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible