My Childhood Under Fire: A Sarajevo Diary by…

My Childhood Under Fire: A Sarajevo Diary

by Nadja Halilbegovich

Targeted for the middle school audience, this book chronicles the life of a girl who lived in Sarajevo during daily bombings and sniper fire for three years until her parents were able to smuggle her out. Filled with song and poetry, she speaks out, not only in her diary, but on local radio and to foreign correspondents. Daily entries are supplemented by more recent words.

This was a quick read (for an adult) which voices the frustration of a child living in horrible conditions forced on them by faceless adults. It asked the question, where was the rest of the world when this horror was going on? ( )
  mamzel | Mar 7, 2016 |

"Bombs are exploding all over the city. I hide my feelings from everyone, but I am drowning in despair. When will this war end? For how long will my life consist of the dead space between two explosions?" — June 6, 1995

On the first day of the siege of Sarajevo, 12-year-old Nadja Halilbegovich's life changed forever. In the face of constant tank and sniper fire, daily life in this beautiful, mountain-ringed city was suddenly full of fear. Without reliable electricity, water or medical supplies, the blockaded city ground to a halt. Nadja and her fellow citizens tried desperately to live normal lives while forced to scrounge for even the most basic necessities.

My Childhood Under Fire is Nadja's diary of the years 1992–95. It is her personal account of becoming a teenager during wartime. It is also a monument to the thousands killed during the siege of Sarajevo and to the millions of children around the world who still live — and die — under fire.

Nadja Halilbegovich could be any twelve-year-old: she enjoys school, singing, and being with friends in Sarajevo. One spring morning in 1992 school is cancelled; the next day sniper fire and explosions drive Nadja, her family and neighbors to the basement. The siege of Sarajevo has begun.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,539,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible