Houndsley and Catina by James Howe

Houndsley and Catina

by James Howe

An early chapter book about finding your passion and talents. Very well written and I've always enjoyed Marie-Loiuse Gay's illustrations in her own books and now here. We will have to read more of this series. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This short chapter book reminds the reader that things don't always go as planned, but you can bounce back and overcome it. Also, if you like what you do, you don't have to be the best at it as long as you enjoy it. Houndsley and Catina are kind and supportive role models.
  AimeeV | Oct 19, 2015 |
4.5 stars. A little different than other Early Reader series about friendship - you'd have to judge for yourself whether what I see as a more weighty message, with a gentle intensity, is to your taste. I liked this impulse grab from the library well enough I will be trying to get more. I love Catina's dresses. I love the non-adherence to gender roles. I love that there was no gratuitous humor or excitement. Oh, and of course, Yay for tofu worms! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Catina and Cat and Houndsley the Dog are best friends and help each other learn the important lesson that everyone has something they are good at, you just have to find it sometimes.
  b_Campbell | Feb 5, 2015 |
Having recently noticed an online friend giving five-star ratings to some of the later books in this series, I thought I had better track down the first, and see what I was missing. Divided into three mini-chapters, this early-reader follows the story of best friends Houndsley the dog, and Catina the cat. In The Writer, Houndsley is dismayed to discover that Catina's book - Life Through the Eyes of a Cat - isn't any good, and must find a way to be truthful, while avoiding any hurt feelings. In Cooking Contest, Catina encourages Houndsley to enter a culinary competition, and remains supportive and positive when he forgets some very basic ingredients. And finally, in Fireflies, the two friends reflect upon their experiences, and discover that they already have something much more valuable than acclaim: each other.

The early reader genre boasts many superb friendship tales, from Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad series to James Marshall's George and Martha books. But while Howe's gentle, warm-hearted narrative is quite pleasing, and Canadian artist Marie-Loise Gay's watercolor and pencil illustrations are charming, Houndsley and Catina didn't strike me as an especially brilliant example of the type. Still, I think the target audience will appreciate it, and an engaging, well-illustrated early-reader series is always a good thing! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 18, 2013 |

The subtle dance of friendship - from holding your tongue to knowing what to say - is played out in three sweetly humorous tales about an unlikely, likable pair.

Catina wants to be a famous writer. Houndsley is an excellent cook. Catina thinks Houndsley is a wonder. Houndsley thinks Catina is a very good friend. So what should Houndsley say about Catina's seventy-four-chapter memoir? And can Catina find the right words of comfort for Houndsley after the big cooking contest fiasco? James Howe's funny and endearing world of ginger tea, no-bean chili, and firefly watching is brought to life in cozy watercolors by Marie-Louise Gay in this tender chapter book about what it means to be friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

Houndsley and Catina run into trouble when they decide to prove that they are the best at cooking and writing, respectively.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible