Houndsley and Catina by James Howe

Houndsley and Catina

by James Howe

An early chapter book about finding your passion and talents. Very well written and I've always enjoyed Marie-Loiuse Gay's illustrations in her own books and now here. We will have to read more of this series. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This short chapter book reminds the reader that things don't always go as planned, but you can bounce back and overcome it. Also, if you like what you do, you don't have to be the best at it as long as you enjoy it. Houndsley and Catina are kind and supportive role models.
  AimeeV | Oct 19, 2015 |
Houndsley and Catina are the best of friends but Houndsley has a dilemma? Does he use honesty and potentially hurt his friend's feelings? This is a lovely book about best friends finding the right words to say to each other.
  aartik | Jun 28, 2015 |
4.5 stars. A little different than other Early Reader series about friendship - you'd have to judge for yourself whether what I see as a more weighty message, with a gentle intensity, is to your taste. I liked this impulse grab from the library well enough I will be trying to get more. I love Catina's dresses. I love the non-adherence to gender roles. I love that there was no gratuitous humor or excitement. Oh, and of course, Yay for tofu worms! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Catina and Cat and Houndsley the Dog are best friends and help each other learn the important lesson that everyone has something they are good at, you just have to find it sometimes.
  b_Campbell | Feb 5, 2015 |

The subtle dance of friendship - from holding your tongue to knowing what to say - is played out in three sweetly humorous tales about an unlikely, likable pair.

Catina wants to be a famous writer. Houndsley is an excellent cook. Catina thinks Houndsley is a wonder. Houndsley thinks Catina is a very good friend. So what should Houndsley say about Catina's seventy-four-chapter memoir? And can Catina find the right words of comfort for Houndsley after the big cooking contest fiasco? James Howe's funny and endearing world of ginger tea, no-bean chili, and firefly watching is brought to life in cozy watercolors by Marie-Louise Gay in this tender chapter book about what it means to be friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

Houndsley and Catina run into trouble when they decide to prove that they are the best at cooking and writing, respectively.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible