My Father's Shop by Satomi Ichikawa

My Father's Shop

by Satomi Ichikawa

There is a rug in his fathers shop that Mustafa loves. Mustafa's father would like him to know some words in other languages too, and he tells Mustafa that he may have the rug if he agrees to learn. Ending up at the market, he finds a very different way of learning foreign languages and of getting tourists to visit his fathers shop.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 17, 2016 |
This book was adorable, my favorite aspects were the illustrations. The author and illustrator, Satomi Ichikawa, did a great job connecting the pictures and words. This book entails an important message about diversity and hard work. I think the story line was great, the idea of a small boy having to learn foreign phrases before receiving a reward (the damaged rug) is such a relatable concept to children and adults.
  achamb15 | May 13, 2015 |
This book was very enjoyable to read. The little boy and his father were very well developed and the reader felt connected to both of them. The illustrations used in this book gave the reader insight into the world and environment that the boy was running around. It was very interesting to see the different languages used by the tourists, and having the different languages included in the book was an interesting feature. I think the main idea of this book is the importance of family, and also the importance of helping out family when you get the chance. ( )
  ehopki7 | Apr 21, 2015 |
I like this book because of the colorful illustrations that show some of the aspects of Moroccan culture. I also like that it shows that some children in Morocco work with their families selling products. ( )
  estree1 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I enjoyed the story “My Father’s Shop” by Satomi Ichikawa because of its clear and detailed descriptions and the vivid illustrations. In the story Ichikawa captures the young boy’s excitement about his carpet through describing how he “ran through the market to show the carpet to his friends”. The author also uses onomatopoeia to describe the different ways roosters sound around the world and how people with different native languages communicate that sound. For example, in Morocco the rooster call is “kho-kho-hou-houu”, but in France it is “co-co-ri-co”. This description helps the reader understand that the same sound can be repeated differently depending on ones native language. The illustrations also capture the traditional Middle Eastern elements such as the pattern of the little boy’s carpet. The images help the reader follow the story making the story easier to comprehend for struggling readers. ( )
  Mchapp1 | Mar 23, 2015 |

"Come visit Mustafa in his favorite place in all of Morocco--his father's shop. Here amongst the beauriful rugs, is an entire world of colors, textiles, and languages..."-- Jacket.

Kane Miller Books

An edition of this book was published by Kane Miller Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible