Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2 by Annie Proulx

Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2 (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Annie Proulx

9232014,487 (3.85)28
Member:notecloud
Title:Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2
Authors:Annie Proulx
Info:Scribner (2005), Paperback, 240 pages

Bad Dirt by Annie Proulx (2004)

Didn't care for it. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 18, 2018 |
Dark, funny gems, every one. These reminded me of Keilor's Lake Wobegon tales, but with a significantly sharper edge. The weirdness also goes that step beyond, bordering sometimes on delicious surreality. Fabulous stuff, as I've come to expect from Proulx. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 27, 2016 |
Her forays into magical realism largely ruined this collection. While the grandeur of the landscape is ever present, it's apparent that when focused, the land and people are hopelessly bleak in a delightfully honest manner. Appreciated main characters in one story popping up with minor roles in another. My favorite was Man Crawling Out of Trees where a recently retired New Yorker refuses to leave her house to assist a skier who has broken his leg and crawled his agonizing way to her front door because she fears it might be a malicious trick, her husband and townsfolk are disgusted. Also enjoyed the Wamsutter Wolf and Florida Rental (3/11). ( )
  dandelionroots | Sep 5, 2015 |
Proulx is a born storyteller, and Wyoming is her home, or one of them. She knows it well and cen tell a story or two about the rough, but wonderful country and its people. ( )
  flydodofly | Jun 29, 2014 |
Annie Proulx is one of my favorite authors, and so I guess I hold her to a higher standard than I do most other authors. About halfway through this collection, I thought to myself that it wasn't as good as Close Range, her first collection of Wyoming stories. Even though I ended up thinking the second half was better, I still finished it feeling slightly disappointed. The collection as a whole left me wanting. It's not bad, per se; in fact, I liked a lot of the stories. The various residents of Elk Tooth, Wyoming pop in and out of the stories like eccentric old friends you only see every once in a while, but are always excited to see when they do show up. I'm going to pick up her third collection next and see how it measures up to this one. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
They say this is a wonderful world to live in, but I don't believe I ever did really live in a wonderful world.

-Charlie Starkweather
in his 1958 confession
For Muffy, Jon, Gail, Gillis, and Morgan
On a November dag Wyoming Game & Fish Warden Creel Zmundzinski was making his way down the Pinchbutt drainage through the thickening light of late afternoon.
"Ready for coffee?"

Not so much a book description. LT thought I wouldn't enjoy this book. When I saw this comment, I rushed to pull my copy of Bad Dirt from my home library. Yes, I know the evaluation is based on the books in my LT library. I love Annie Proulx writing. My copy of Bad Dirt is so yellow-paged I may search out for an ebook edition if available.

Annie Proulx's new collection is peopled by characters who struggle with circumstances beyond their control. Born to ranching, drawn to it, or desperate to get out, they inhabit worlds that are isolated and often dangerous. Trouble comes at them from unexpected angles, and they drive themselves through it, hardheaded and resourceful. No one writes better than Proulx about the American west and about lives that may no longer be viable. This is a stunning collection by one of the most vivid and exhilarating writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

An anthology of short stories, all set in Wyoming, features characters who have a profound effect on the people around them, in such tales as "The Trickle Down Effect," "The Contest," and "What Kind of Furniture Would Jesus Pick?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,494,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible