Twenty-One Elephants and Still Standing by…

Twenty-One Elephants and Still Standing

by April Jones Prince

This book goes into detail about how the Brooklyn bridge was test for weight. This book is good for determining importance because facts and importance on each page.
preschool-3rd grade
Pierce College Library ( )
  ThaliaFernandez | Feb 28, 2018 |
This book is based off of the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge that connected Brooklyn, NY to New York City in 1883. Citizens were concerned about how much weight the bridge would hold, which lead to P.T. Barnum putting on the "Greatest Show on Earth" to show that even the heaviest things could go across the bridge, safely. I would read this to a 2nd or 3rd grade book (7-8 years old). A classmate in my Advanced Language & Literacy Methods read this book to me.
  Ncogott0805 | Feb 28, 2018 |
Simple, poetic story about how PT Barnum used elephants to test the durability of the newly built Brooklyn Bridge. While not much detail is given about the building of the bridge this book will compliment a more detailed book (like Brooklyn Bridge by Lynn Curlee) quite nicely.
  wunderlong88 | Oct 19, 2017 |
I think this is a really neat book. I love that it has a fun aspect to it; I think the students who read this would be very enthralled with the text, and also the illustrations. I would use this book in 5th grade to use as an interactive read aloud before a math lesson on geometry and architecture. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 29, 2016 |
I would use this book in a first grade history or science class that is learning about the different kinds of elephants. I would read this book to my students and then have them pick a type of elephant to do more research and present to the class about. ( )
  AmbraGoff | Apr 27, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061844887X, Hardcover)

After fourteen years of construction, the Brooklyn Bridge was completed, much to the delight of the sister cities it connected: Brooklyn and New York City.

Fireworks and top hats filled the air in celebration when the magnificent bridge opened in 1883. But some wondered just how much weight the new bridge could hold. Was it truly safe?

One man seized the opportunity to show people in Brooklyn, New York and the world that the Brooklyn Bridge was in fact strong enough to hold even the heaviest of passengers. P. T. Barnum, creator of “The Greatest Show on Earth,” would present a show too big for the Big Top and too wondrous to forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

Upon completion of the Brooklyn Bridge, P.T. Barnum and his twenty-one elephants parade across to prove to everyone that the bridge is safe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,593,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible