Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence…

Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence

by Matthew Sanford

My Year Off: Recovering Life After a Stroke by Robert McCrum (KimB)
    KimB: A man in his Forties, dealing with a life changing stroke.

Very interesting story of a 13 year Minnesota boy who is paralyzed after a car accident that kills his father and sister. It follows his life as he describes how he becomes a yoga instructor. The mind-body connection- how interesting! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 21, 2017 |
I love Matthew Sanford's genuine voice. It's plain--this is a book without frills. It is welcoming--Sanford tells a good story. But most of all, this book is driven by passion. Sanford cares so much about the interconnections between body and spirit, his prose can't help but move the reader. When I closed this book, I was struck by how love for a subject can transcend craft.

As a spiritual memoir, I found WAKING refreshing--the primary spiritual practice is yoga, and Sanford does a beautiful job illustrating the power of yoga to bring about wholeness in a broken body. This book is an excellent model for how our bodies are active players in our spiritual lives. ( )
  ElizabethAndrew | May 13, 2013 |
Incredible story of a parapalegic man who discovers yoga and eventually becomes a teacher. Through the precise alignment of Iyengar yoga, he regains a subtle, vital connection to his whole body. Inspiring and thought-provoking. ( )
  gratefulyoga | Feb 9, 2012 |
So love this book! Originally heard of it during the original "Speaking of Faith" interview on MPR. I sought out the book, read it, and about a year later passed it on to someone else to read. Within a month, a friend heard a re-broadcast of the interview. She bought a copy for herself - and one for me - not knowing I had read it and passed it on. Now I have a copy again - but I would pass it on to almost anyone who might benefit from reading this story - almost anyone being almost everyone. Inspirational in my yoga practice and Life practice. Beautifully written. ( )
  teandoranges | Feb 5, 2011 |
Matthew Sanford offers his memoir, his story, and invites the readers to experience their own stories via the bridge of yoga and body-mind integration philosophies. Sanford’s narrative is fascinating, inspiring, and absorbing. He has an ability to draw connections of his own very dramatic life experience to the readers life, leading to positive personal introspection. Highly recommended. ( )
  yogiclarebear | Nov 25, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159486845X, Paperback)

Matthew Sanford’s life and body were irrevocably changed at age 13 when his family’s car skidded off a snowy Iowa overpass, killing Matt’s father and sister and leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. This pivotal event set Matt on a lifelong journey, from his intensive care experiences at the Mayo Clinic to becoming a paralyzed yoga teacher and founder of a nonprofit organization. Forced to explore what it truly means to live in a body, he emerges with an entirely new view of being a "whole" person. In this searingly candid memoir he delivers a powerful message about the endurance of the human spirit and of the body that houses it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

Matthew Sanford's life and body were irrevocably changed at age 13 when his family's car skidded off a snowy Iowa overpass, killing Matt's father and sister and leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. This pivotal event set Matt on a lifelong journey, from his intensive care experiences at the Mayo Clinic to becoming a paralyzed yoga teacher and founder of a nonprofit organization. Forced to explore what it truly means to live in a body, he emerges with an entirely new view of being a "whole" person. In Waking--his searingly candid memoir--Sanford delivers a powerful message about the endurance of the human spirit and of the body that houses it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible