Luck of the Wheels by Robin Hobb

Luck of the Wheels (1989)

by Robin Hobb

English (4)  French (2)  All languages (6)
...I would like to say that Luck of the Wheels is a fitting conclusion for the series but that would probably not be correct. In some ways it still feels like an incomplete series. Lindholm wrote as self contained stories however. The ending of this novel is satisfying enough but I can’t help but wonder what else Lindholm had in mind for the two companions. This novel is probably the most well-written of the quartet. The pacing in particular has much improved since the first novel in the series. Overseeing the whole series I think The Limbreth Gate remains my favorite though. That being said, Luck of the Wheel, just like the previous novels in the series, is well worth reading. They may not be the epic, sprawling fantasy novels Lindholm has produced under her other pen name Robin Hobb but these leaner novels should still appeal to the fantasy fans. This reread has reinforced my opinion work published under the Lindholm pseudonym is a bit under appreciated.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | May 22, 2013 |
There's something about this quartet that bothers me, and I don't know what it is. I like the characters, I like the world-building, but each time I read them, despite wanting to re-experience them, I'm also hesitant and reluctant. Probably because of the pain Lindholm puts them through, I suppose, and this last book has plenty and to spare of that.

My main problem with this book is Gotheris -- he's just so hard to sympathise with, and you probably should, but you can't... much like Ki and Vandien themselves, so I suppose it's not surprising. But it's hard to enjoy the ending, since it involves him so prominently, since it involves him being considered a bit like Vandien's son.

It's also difficult to enjoy the way Vandien behaves in this book -- totally unlike himself, after a certain point.

Still, it is nice that Ki accepts Vandien into her life wholly, after so long. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Synopsis:
Gypsy teamster Ki agrees to ferry a most disagreeable boy to another town, and discovers a world of trouble when she and her companions find themselves in the middle of an uprising.

Review:
Luck of the Wheels, the fourth and final installment in the Ki and Vandien Quartet, is the best Lindholm I’ve read so far. Here, she pushes her protagonists as far as they can be pushed, taking the kinds of story risks that make her books so accomplished. She’s not afraid to enact events upon her characters that change them fundamentally, and she recognizes that our pain and suffering changes us in fundamental ways. Healing doesn’t mean erasure.

Read the rest here:
http://superfastreader.com/luck-of-the-wheels-by-megan-lindholm.htm ( )
  superfastreader | May 23, 2007 |
Ce livre est dédié à James LaFollette
— Et je vais vous dire autre chose, continua la propriétaire du caravansérail tout en remplissant de nouveau son verre, puis celui de Ki.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible