Luck of the Wheels by Megan Lindholm

Luck of the Wheels (1989)

by Megan Lindholm

English (6)  French (2)  All languages (8)
Not necessary to the series; more like a 'buy 3 get one Free bonus.' Still, if you've read this far, you don't want to miss this. Humor, drama, romance, and, yes, even more world-building, provocative ideas and original non-human races. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This final book in the [Ki and Vandien Quartet] was a humdinger! Ki and Vandien, obeying the orders of the Windsingers have moved further south and away but the country in which they find themselves now is under the rule of a harsh Duke and getting jobs isn't easy. They end up agreeing to take an adolescent boy to his uncle, a trip of about two weeks. But the boy is no ordinary boy, he is part Jore and this means he has some interesting powers. The problem is that he has never been taught anything about how to protect himself or control what he can do and the results are maddening and terrifying. They also acquire a young woman running away to meet her lover. The two young ones loathe one another and sometimes it is funny, sometimes not. At first, Ki and Vandien have no idea what the bigger issues are. "'The worst thing about children,' Ki observed, speaking in a very small voice, 'is that they require one to act like an adult while provoking one to act like a spoiled brat.'" The greater story, which of course they get caught up in, is the rebellion against the Duke, wonderfully spun out. If you are into sword play description, it can't be done better than in one of the final scenes. Fantasy writing at the highest level. ****1/2 ( )
1 vote sibyx | Dec 27, 2015 |
...I would like to say that Luck of the Wheels is a fitting conclusion for the series but that would probably not be correct. In some ways it still feels like an incomplete series. Lindholm wrote as self contained stories however. The ending of this novel is satisfying enough but I can’t help but wonder what else Lindholm had in mind for the two companions. This novel is probably the most well-written of the quartet. The pacing in particular has much improved since the first novel in the series. Overseeing the whole series I think The Limbreth Gate remains my favorite though. That being said, Luck of the Wheel, just like the previous novels in the series, is well worth reading. They may not be the epic, sprawling fantasy novels Lindholm has produced under her other pen name Robin Hobb but these leaner novels should still appeal to the fantasy fans. This reread has reinforced my opinion work published under the Lindholm pseudonym is a bit under appreciated.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | May 22, 2013 |
There's something about this quartet that bothers me, and I don't know what it is. I like the characters, I like the world-building, but each time I read them, despite wanting to re-experience them, I'm also hesitant and reluctant. Probably because of the pain Lindholm puts them through, I suppose, and this last book has plenty and to spare of that.

My main problem with this book is Gotheris -- he's just so hard to sympathise with, and you probably should, but you can't... much like Ki and Vandien themselves, so I suppose it's not surprising. But it's hard to enjoy the ending, since it involves him so prominently, since it involves him being considered a bit like Vandien's son.

It's also difficult to enjoy the way Vandien behaves in this book -- totally unlike himself, after a certain point.

Still, it is nice that Ki accepts Vandien into her life wholly, after so long. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Ce livre est dédié à James LaFollette
— Et je vais vous dire autre chose, continua la propriétaire du caravansérail tout en remplissant de nouveau son verre, puis celui de Ki.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,201,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible