Finest Kind by Lea Wait

Finest Kind (2006)

by Lea Wait

I didn't realize at the time I read this that its listed as juvenile fiction at the library. I sure didn't read like it. I was impressed by this book and the story within. Jake went through so much at his young age and he took it like a man.Reading historical fiction books always make me remember how far not only technology has advanced but medical science as well. It also makes me add into my prayers at night that I wasn't born back then. Such hardships!! ( )
  justablondemoment | Oct 19, 2016 |
Wait, Lea, Finest Kind, Jake's family move to Maine, after his father loses his job. Used to servants, his mother must learn to cook and take care of his invalid brother while his father works at a sawmill, and later lumbering. That leaves Jake to take care of his family for the winter. He looks to neighbors for help and advice - and seems unusually determined for his age. ( )
  caro488 | Jun 9, 2010 |
"We're almost there, Jake! put down your book and look at your new hometown," Father called from the high front seat where he sat with the driver.

When his father's Boston bank fails in 1838, causing his family to relocate to a small Maine town, twelve-year-old Jake Webber works to prepare the family for the harsh winter while also keeping the existence of his disabled younger brother a secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible